Which Oil Are You Using, And Why??

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
for 4-6 yrs or so, Autozone and AAP clearanced all their synthetics for $1-2 per qt, so I go in and grab everything I can get. match up with rebates for example Sopus had 2$ rebate up to 48 qtss, I used it on 48Qts of SRT 0w-40 :)

I have 10 cars so I use it, havent bought much other than some Amsoil and Redline.

Glad I stocked up since last few years hasnt been much on clearance
Awesome story. I wish they would do something like that, around here. Then again, it would take me a long long time to use it, and the wife would bitch incessantly, and call me an Oil Hoarder. I need a nice large "He Shed" with a padlock, so I can store all my fun guy stuff, away from her judgemental eyes. All kidding aside, she only bitches about my Straight Razor hobby, because it cannot be stored in the garage, because of humidity and rust issues.
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I just remind her when I do oil changes LOL
Have a neighbor who had a Porshe, you know the type would never be caught dead in an American car. anyhow washing the SRT and he comes up and has to check it out. asks me how much it costs to change the oil, his 911 was 500$ per oil change, take 4 gallons and 3 hrs or some BS.

anyhow I laugh and say, 50 aluminum jack, 25 jack stands, 2 beers, 7$ Fram Ultra syn filter, 7qts 0w-40 PUP which free after after rebate, so 7$ direct cost, 82$ with tools and not counting 2 Sam Adams LOL

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
i just ordered 5 quarts of redline to see if it can tame that cold start chatter a bit.
What viscosity. I can tell you on the Ram forums there is a long thread where folks punted the Penzoil 5w-20 to the curb and switched to 5w-30 Redline and many reported back their valve train clatter and tick went away. I decided to try the Redline in my Overland, was running primarily PP or PUP since I have a huge stash of that along with Mobil 1. My hemi was pretty quiet but from reading forums, the tick can show up as the mileage on the engine goes up. anyhow from my ears it is dead quiet now, I reason the high moly and boron in the Redline really works. Note the Redline has 580 PPM moly , 101 ppm boron, 3462 calcium, 1118 phosperous and 1251 zinc in their 5w-30, note the high phospherous and zinc above the nuetered SN 800 ppm limits

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yes, and note that the label in the picture also specifies this oil is CF rated as well, which is a Diesel standard.

since the manual for the EcoDiesels requires an SN oil and this also meets the MS 12991 recommendation, this would appear to be an acceptable oil to use in that application.

You are correct. API SN certified oil can also be used in diesel engines requiring an API SN certified oil. See the back side label of the container below for Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5w-40 motor oil.

oil.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Oops sorry Multi-level marketing scheme. Just like Mona Vie, Amway, Mary Kay etc. Sorry didn’t mean to call it pyramid. They are all pyramid in my mind but you are right.
Lol, my cousin pressured me into Mona Vie. (He was Amway before. Every family has one.). That stuff tasted like shit.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome story. I wish they would do something like that, around here. Then again, it would take me a long long time to use it, and the wife would bitch incessantly, and call me an Oil Hoarder. I need a nice large "He Shed" with a padlock, so I can store all my fun guy stuff, away from her judgemental eyes. All kidding aside, she only bitches about my Straight Razor hobby, because it cannot be stored in the garage, because of humidity and rust issues.
go over to BITOG oil forum and they have a forum on rebates and sales.
usually in late Nov/Dec Autostoned and AAP might clearance oil and cheap oil nerds like me run down and grab stuff we might need.

my best score was 2 5 gallon pails of Redline 75w-90 and 75w-140 gear oils 75 each to my door, that stuff is 20$ a qt :) owed that guy a case of Magic Hat for the heads up!

per Amsoil, been using that since 1983 in a lot of my cars, cant go wrong with it, have a personel account to buy it.

dont understand the hate of their direct marketing, everyone loves their Severe Gear, ATF and power sports oils. expensive but that is relative in 50K$ cars now, 40 yrs ago they were way ahead of the $hit oils at the time.

would say in general Redline and Amsoil make the best fluids because they cost $$ more and you get the better base stocks.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
go over to BITOG oil forum and they have a forum on rebates and sales.
usually in late Nov/Dec Autostoned and AAP might clearance oil and cheap oil nerds like me run down and grab stuff we might need.

my best score was 2 5 gallon pails of Redline 75w-90 and 75w-140 gear oils 75 each to my door, that stuff is 20$ a qt :) owed that guy a case of Magic Hat for the heads up!

per Amsoil, been using that since 1983 in a lot of my cars, cant go wrong with it, have a personel account to buy it.

dont understand the hate of their direct marketing, everyone loves their Severe Gear, ATF and power sports oils. expensive but that is relative in 50K$ cars now, 40 yrs ago they were way ahead of the $hit oils at the time.

would say in general Redline and Amsoil make the best fluids because they cost $$ more and you get the better base stocks.
I looked at that forum, and it is everything oil, and lubrication. Thanks.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I use the new Rotella Gas truck formula. I chose that because the recommended oil is too hard to find. And I've been using Rotella T6 in my dirt & street bikes and my now gone Subaru forester for a long time.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It seems 2020 has been shown the door.. A nice Monday surprise.
Really? Glad he’s gone. Hope it’s permanent. After yesterday’s idiotic exchange I just opted to use the ignore feature. Guess he didn’t want to pay for to be an advertiser since every single one of his posts was an Amsoil ad. After the last response I regretted ever trying to engage; I should have followed my own advice and just ignored him; which I eventually did.

The thing is, Amsoil has some really good products. Their marketing robots make people hate them.

I’ve been using the Jeep wave oil changes because my power train warranty requires that maintenance be performed at a shop and not DIY. I think they use bulk Mobil 1 at the dealership. I’ll probably continue to use them for paid oil changes.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Really? Glad he’s gone. Hope it’s permanent. After yesterday’s idiotic exchange I just opted to use the ignore feature. Guess he didn’t want to pay for to be an advertiser since every single one of his posts was an Amsoil ad. After the last response I regretted ever trying to engage; I should have followed my own advise and just ignored him; which I eventually did.

The thing is, Amsoil has some really good products. Their marketing robots make people hate them.

I’ve been using the Jeep wave oil changes because my power train warranty requires that maintenance be performed at a shop and not DIY. I think they use bulk Mobil 1 at the dealership. I’ll probably continue to use them for paid oil changes.
Side gripe: when you ignore a member and he replies to a post, that post will show up in your unread list. Opening the affected post will take you to post #1 since you’re ignoring the poster who made the update. Because of that, I now just use my built-in ignore button... ie roll my eyes and move on. :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What kind of dirt bikes do you have? I have a Honda CRF250R.
I currently have a Husky TX300. Prior to that a Husky WR300 and Husky TE500. Before that a KLR650 and KLR250.
Nice!! This is going to date me just a bit, last 2 wheel dirt bike I had was a 74 CR250 Elsinore (owned in 76), was badass in the day, but now looking back at pics of them kinda depressing :) Also had the baddest 3 wheeler, a 84 ATC 250R, that was badass and still would be if I had it :)

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Nice!! This is going to date me just a bit, last 2 wheel dirt bike I had was a 74 CR250 Elsinore (owned in 76), was badass in the day, but now looking back at pics of them kinda depressing :) Also had the baddest 3 wheeler, a 84 ATC 250R, that was badass and still would be if I had it :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Oil Are You Using, And Why?? JeepAndBike
Sponsored