Sponsored

Which Oil Are You Using, And Why??

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Quaker state synthetic.
Because it dramatically outshines Mobil 1 in independent testing as well as my own oil analysis. And I used to get it for $3 a quart.
Mobil one does not perform well at elevated temps, significantly loses ware protection and degrades.

Note - Amsoil is the best oil for ware protection in 0w20 formulation according to ware protection testing.
Ware: When used as a verb means to avoid. Good Freudian slip.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
....But I know why you are being careful. You know I might slip some Walmart Supertech synthetic in after the M1 and show an equally good UOA. Pretty risky, right? :LOL: Fact is, I don't think there is much of a measurable difference from top to bottom among the syn oils. I run M1 because I have great confidence in it. But as I said, I've run others too. All good.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why not? AMSOIL has proven and warranted it for 50 years. Oh, yeah, Mobil 1 hasn't. I don't blame you. AMSOIL outperforms M1 right out of the bottle. You've seen the independent standard tests, haven't you? If not, I'll provide.
We're not going over the fun discussion of that time they DID NOT warrant a forum member's engine. So no. I won't do it.

So what I hear you saying is that given an 8k oil change interval, Amsoil has absolutely no advantage over Mobil 1 or any other full syn, for that matter.

Got it. That's reason enough for me not to spend the money on it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
well this thread beats the stupid Bronco threads on a Jeep forum.

I find it interesting what flavors of oils people use, snap shot of stash 7 yrs back, have a lot more free oil in my basement along with some brews.

Quaker Hill 816.jpg

Quaker Hill 817.jpg

Quaker Hill 818.jpg

Quaker Hill 819.jpg
Love it!!! My stash is mainly RGT, Havoline Pro DS, and some M1 AFE. I'll eventually get through them. Fortunately, I've got 2 vehicles that specify 0w20.

Hey, I see a beer stash! I'd love to come over and help you with that while gawking at all that wonderful oil! Lol!

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
We're not going over the fun discussion of that time they DID NOT warrant a forum member's engine. So no. I won't do it.
No proof was ever given that AMSOIL was in the engine. No proof that a claim was submitted with written denial. No used oil or parts analysis was provided. No proof that AMSOIL failed ever in nearly 50 years. I've personally sold over 50,000 AMSOIL oil changes without a single issue. I've looked for the thread and can't find it. Maybe they deleted it?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
well this thread beats the stupid Bronco threads on a Jeep forum.

I find it interesting what flavors of oils people use, snap shot of stash 7 yrs back, have a lot more free oil in my basement along with some brews.

Quaker Hill 816.jpg

Quaker Hill 817.jpg

Quaker Hill 818.jpg

Quaker Hill 819.jpg

Wow. How, and why did you accumulate that much oil??

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why not? AMSOIL has proven and warranted it for 50 years. Oh, yeah, Mobil 1 hasn't. I don't blame you. AMSOIL outperforms M1 right out of the bottle. You've seen the independent standard tests, haven't you? If not, I'll provide.
Sure. Then show me what it can do at an 8k interval. I've already said that both of us know of a case where they did NOT honor their warranty. So I'm not going to test it. Plus, I'm just not comfortable going past the OLM on ANY vehicle. I do know this. M1 is rated for 20k. I won't do that, either. The longest I've done is 12k on EP in my Ecoboost. It was in fine shape, but that was 2k beyond my limit of comfort.

So you going to take the 8k challenge, or not. You are an Amsoil dealer. It'd cost you maybe 20 bucks. But think of what you'd gain if it does what you said it will do. You'll at least make it back on my next 15 quarts. Come on. Try it. Let's see how it does in a Pentastar, in a Jeep. That's more relevant than blogs, "independent" tests, and whatever you want to boast about. Real world. Real Jeep world. I'll be paying for the two UOAs and I already have the filters. Who knows, maybe I'll continue to buy it beyond the next 3. From you. What do you have to lose?

Funny how both you and the CAI vendors just don't want to put your products to a direct comparison test. So I guess you can stick to just marketing the Amway.....er Amsoil.

Let me know if you want to me to take the Amsoil Challenge. I'm ready.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i quoted what the latest manual calls for for the EcoDiesel; it's SN. (it's already been noted how odd it is that the spec for a Diesel would be a Gasoline engine spec, so it would be pretty obvious there might be something unusual going on here.)

beware: just because there's a newer standard doesn't necessarily mean it's "better" for your engine; there have been changes where what was "better" about the new standard had more to do with regulations than with the life of your motor. and just because there's another new one doesn't mean that a previous one is no longer current. even SJ, SL, & SM are still listed as Current.
SP was written with a focus on "protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85"; that ain't our diesels. ;)

note that even the API (the people who *write* the standards) say:
"For diesel engines, the latest category usually - but not always - includes the performance properties of an earlier category."

source:
https://www.api.org/products-and-se...categories-and-classifications/oil-categories

API SN is the old standard, replaced by API SP which is better.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i just ordered 5 quarts of redline to see if it can tame that cold start chatter a bit.
Great oil, but it won't likely do much. It is due to the Pentastar's valve train design and how it sounds before fully pressurized, which takes a few seconds. But let us know how it does. No harm in trying it!

Between 2 flavors of Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, and Rotella Gas Truck, I've heard zero difference. All these 0w20's get there quickly, but it still does it. I've been assured by one of the designers that it causes zero harm. Normal. Just a quirk of the design.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Here is the thing about oil debates. People are passionate about whatever brand they use OR SELL. However oil is not like something you can physically tell the difference in quality like comparing a Tumi back pack to a Walmart backpack (bad example I know but it is all I could come up with). Oil is more of a science to analyze it so the common man can’t just do that. So all the oil companies will have their propaganda. Oil analysis is correct, now the above post it isn’t correct etc etc.

This layman goes by this. Change your oil every 5k and you will be fine. I know several folks that have had cars for over 300k miles, one to 498k and guess what? There oil changes religiously from those “lube shops” and using whatever oil was included in the sale did alright for their engine. Hell I don’t keep my cars past 100k.

I change all my cars right at 5k with Jiffy Lube synthetic. I promise you I will be fine. If you want to be a part of the Amsoil pyramid scheme, rock on. If you want to buy super expensive oil because you think it is better, rock on. You do you.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Wow. How, and why did you accumulate that much oil??

for 4-6 yrs or so, Autozone and AAP clearanced all their synthetics for $1-2 per qt, so I go in and grab everything I can get. match up with rebates for example Sopus had 2$ rebate up to 48 qtss, I used it on 48Qts of SRT 0w-40 :)

I have 10 cars so I use it, havent bought much other than some Amsoil and Redline.

Glad I stocked up since last few years hasnt been much on clearance

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
yeah, *another* oil thread...

@calemasters starts out with a critical point; which motor?

note that Jeeps listing for oil in the 3.0L in the Users Manual (quoted below) is a little strange; they only "recommend" oil that meets their MS-12991 spec, but they "require" a SN type oil even though SN is a Gasoline grade oil. ("recommend" vs. "require" might sound like nit-picking, but it's the sort of legalese you'll be dealing with if you come up against a denied warranty claim.)
fortunately, Red Line has a 5W-40 that meets all these, as well as some more stringent Mfrs specs and the CF requirements for Diesel oil.
You are correct. API SN certified oil can also be used in diesel engines requiring an API SN certified oil. See the back side label of the container below for Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5w-40 motor oil.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Oil Are You Using, And Why?? oil
Sponsored