First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Mo" 2019 Mojito 2 Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have my JL on order and now it's my wife's turn for a new vehicle. She has narrowed it down to three SUVs, in order of preference - the Volvo XC90, the Acura MDX and the BMW X5. Any first hand experience, good or bad, on any or all of these vehicles?
Sponsored

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I have my JL on order and now it's my wife's turn for a new vehicle. She has narrowed it down to three SUVs, in order of preference - the Volvo XC90, the Acura MDX and the BMW X5. Any first hand experience, good or bad, on any or all of these vehicles?
All three are so radically different in the niche of customer that they target. The Acura is a bland luxury Honda, and it's average in every way. Not great, not bad, just in the middle.

The BMW X5 has tons of engine choices and of course a myriad of ways to double the price. It's more of a yuppie mobile, with fairly good driving dynamics. It's the sportiest of the three. Interior is BMWs is pretty nice usually. Vinyl seats are the norm now in all the beemer models.

Volvo is a weird one. It's much more high tech in many ways, but that's from the new hybrid and infotainment systems. However, that's only in the newer XC60 and XC40. The XC90 has been around for a few years, and is mid-cycle right now. It has decent ground clearance, but it's odd mix of Volvo's old uber family-safety meets yuppie image. Like Subaru for rich people.

Test drive them all, and spend tons of time playing with how things work inside. That's usually the determining factor for the luxury brands, other than their image. Also, all three plummet like rocks for depreciation, so I'd recommend leasing.

OP
OP
geospyder

geospyder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
All three are so radically different in the niche of customer that they target. The Acura is a bland luxury Honda, and it's average in every way. Not great, not bad, just in the middle.

The BMW X5 has tons of engine choices and of course a myriad of ways to double the price. It's more of a yuppie mobile, with fairly good driving dynamics. It's the sportiest of the three. Interior is BMWs is pretty nice usually. Vinyl seats are the norm now in all the beemer models.

Volvo is a weird one. It's much more high tech in many ways, but that's from the new hybrid and infotainment systems. However, that's only in the newer XC60 and XC40. The XC90 has been around for a few years, and is mid-cycle right now. It has decent ground clearance, but it's odd mix of Volvo's old uber family-safety meets yuppie image. Like Subaru for rich people.

Test drive them all, and spend tons of time playing with how things work inside. That's usually the determining factor for the luxury brands, other than their image. Also, all three plummet like rocks for depreciation, so I'd recommend leasing.
Thanks for the comments. Definitely plan to test drive all three. She currently has a 2004 Acura MDX that is pristine. Has one tiny nick and only 85000 miles. The brain says keep it but heart says it's time for a change. Also in reality these may be our last cars - so splurge a little :). We tend to keep them at least ten years and currently she is 68 and I'm 74. We're still very active. Wednesday we take off for a month to travel around South Asia and the mid-East - mainly Thailand, India and the UAE. Hope my JL will be close to ready when we get back :)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Thanks for the comments. Definitely plan to test drive all three. She currently has a 2004 Acura MDX that is pristine. Has one tiny nick and only 85000 miles. The brain says keep it but heart says it's time for a change. Also in reality these may be our last cars - so splurge a little :). We tend to keep them at least ten years and currently she is 68 and I'm 74. We're still very active. Wednesday we take off for a month to travel around South Asia and the mid-East - mainly Thailand, India and the UAE. Hope my JL will be close to ready when we get back :)
This made me happy. Good for you guys! Hell yeah, splurge! Safe travels...

Sponsored

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Also consider the Porsche Macan and the Land Rover discovery and Velar when cross shopping.

OP
OP
geospyder

geospyder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Also consider the Porsche Macan and the Land Rover discovery and Velar when cross shopping.
Saw them at the auto show this weekend. For what ever reason she crossed them off the list. Most likely storage and interior. Forgot which one, think the Velar, had an interior that was very glossy. It's her car so she chooses and I'll help with the options :)

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Saw them at the auto show this weekend. For what ever reason she crossed them off the list. Most likely storage and interior. Forgot which one, think the Velar, had an interior that was very glossy. It's her car so she chooses and I'll help with the options :)
Every manufacturer sets their own niche for interior buyer, but I think BMW has the most Darth Vader dark look you can get.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I’m currently driving a 2006 XC70. Bought it for peanuts because I didn’t want to expose my darling LJ to another winter...

Volvo does a stunning interior that ages really well. My leather seats are in amazing condition. It’s a comfortable, capable ride. If Jeep didn’t have my heart, I’d consider being loyal to Volvo.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I'm old school, body on frame V8 Tahoe.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
The New G-Wagon that comes out for 19 includes a Jeep like round emblem that says Mountain Rated and a V8. The Jag SUV has momma cat and kits Easter eggs and spots on the arm rest like a pelt. There are a couple of others copying Jeep too, just can't remember which and how. If I had the $ I'd get a new G for the wife and keep the 2dr Rubi for me but again if I had the $ the Pentastar would go away and a Hemi would come to stay.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
Our Volvo computer forgot it was AWD and needed a reflash. Good luck.
Sponsored