Sponsored

Which mount plate for stock steel bumper and smittbilt winch?

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Interesting. I know about the 10 degree tilt, how do you know it sits higher?
From looking at pictures of other installations, on Rusty's plate, all though it would be nice to see some closer views. And my experience trying to install today. The only way I see to make this work is lower the base 3/4" to 1" and the mounting holes would have to be moved forward 1/2" to 3/4" also get rid of the 11 degree angle.
Sponsored

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The Rock Hard winch plate is a very well built plate, but it does not work with the SmittyBilt XRC 9500 Gen 3 Winch. The rear tie bar hits the grill before the bumper is fully bolted on. I believe it sits higher overall to begin with and the rear is angled upward making this a no go for the SmittyBilt XRC
IMG-1811.jpg
I also found the Rockhard 4x4 winch plate
put the Smittybilt X20 too close to the grill. I ended up relocating the control box to the frame rail.
Install went fine otherwise and the mount feels heavy duty.
IMG_20200212_175820.jpg
IMG_20200212_142726.jpg
IMG_20200212_104403.jpg
IMG_20200212_080728.jpg

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I also found the Rockhard 4x4 winch plate
put the Smittybilt X20 too close to the grill. I ended up relocating the control box to the frame rail.
Install went fine otherwise and the mount feels heavy duty.
IMG_20200212_175820.jpg
IMG_20200212_142726.jpg
IMG_20200212_104403.jpg
IMG_20200212_080728.jpg
Thanks for those pictures, the X20 was my second choice. The XRC is that close before fully tightening the bumper. Like the control box relocation, better out of sight, than off-center over the motor. What size is that hose clamp?

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Thanks for those pictures, the X20 was my second choice. The XRC is that close before fully tightening the bumper. Like the control box relocation, better out of sight, than off-center over the motor. What size is that hose clamp?
I might shoot them a message. I think they are the kind of people who would address an issue like this.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted the X20 with the RR winch plate and worked perfectly. Control box on top and centered

Sponsored

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I should note that I changed the orientation of the hose clamp after test fitting and didn't get another picture. Shown it is going left to right, it ended up going up and down on the right side as pictured. I believe it was a 6-8" hose clamp, from Home Depot.

I might shoot them a message. I think they are the kind of people who would address an issue like this.
I posted into the Rockhard 4x4 forum here and they didn't respond. In a straight pull there is no concern. But the drum being so far away from the fair lead, I'm thinking in an angled scenario that gap is going to create a lot of leverage and or friction

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Didn't see a new thread notification in our sub forum - sorry for no response there. Normally we get a pop up saying a new thread has been started.

We'll look around for others reporting a similar issue but this is the first feedback we've gotten on a Smittybilt winch having a problem with our winch plate. Let us dig into it and we'll see if we can find an installer that was able to make it work and see what they did.

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Didn't see a new thread notification in our sub forum - sorry for no response there. Normally we get a pop up saying a new thread has been started.

We'll look around for others reporting a similar issue but this is the first feedback we've gotten on a Smittybilt winch having a problem with our winch plate. Let us dig into it and we'll see if we can find an installer that was able to make it work and see what they did.
Can you speak to the height of the mount? Does it sit higher?

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher compared to what? Sorry not sure what the reference is.
Compared to pictures of other winch installations, that's all I have to go on at the moment. Granted not many are showing the clearance between the back of the winch and the grill, and I don't believe any are the same combination I am trying to install (XRC Gen 3) on your winch plate. The font of the winch may be at a similar elevation, but the rear tie bar is fully above the bottom of the grill. leaving zero clearance to install the bumper.

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If someone can get us some measurements we'd appreciate it. Let us know with that particular Smittybilt winch how much room forward you need to clear the grille. If we can we can move the holes in the winch plate forward slightly.

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If someone can get us some measurements we'd appreciate it. Let us know with that particular Smittybilt winch how much room forward you need to clear the grille. If we can we can move the holes in the winch plate forward slightly.
Since I'm bored at home I recorded a quick video in case it helps

Smittybilt X20 10k - there is 1" of clearance available.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QCm25PthuyPKoU1y5

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
How much room does that winch need to clear grille? Does not look like much.

Jason
Sponsored