Sponsored

Which motor for lift with 37" tires?

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP WRANGLER JL
which motor do y’all like the most? I’m leaning towards to 4-cylinder turbo. I plan on putting a 2.5 to 3.5 lift with 37” tires. Gas mileage means nothing to me as this is a toy.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Beating a dead horse? Why is that? Should I go v6 ? I can change the gear ratio too.
I’m giving you a hard time; this topic has been discussed quite frequently on these here boards. Best advice I can give is test drive both and buy whichever one you like most. They’re both great motors.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I have had the V6 in 4 JKs, 1 GC, and 2 JLs. Tire sizes ranging from stock to 40s. The engines have always done well. No major issues. Based on a reliability and time tested standpoint the V6 is a solid choice.

I have no experience with the turbo, it could be a great engine. I'm just not a fan of turbos overall as I've had issues with them in other vehicles.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I probably just haven't been paying attention, but has it been discussed that specifically; i.e., 37s and each engine choice?

Test driving both isn't really going to tell him anything about how the tire size will affect the way it drives.

Good luck OP. No idea which would be the better choice. Hopefully a more specific search will give you some answers.

As for my wife's JLUR...it's on true 37s, stock 4.10 gearing and auto trans. I honestly don't think we'll be regearing to 4.88s or 5.13s as the fuel economy has been pretty good and the power is fine on the street. The 4:1 in the tcase takes care of the 4L aspect....but if I was planning to use it a lot for climbing 3-4' boulders with 3 tires at once, I'd probably opt for the re-gear of the axles.

Can't speak to the turbo 4cyl. We're happy with ours in stock trim. YMMV.
This is a good and timely post. I just put 37s on today and my 3.6 with auto handles them fine. Pretty seamless really. If I didn't look down at what gear I'm in (auto) I would never notice a difference.

I am however re-gearing to 4.88s since I will HOPEFULLY be wheeling it soon.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Wait for the diesel, or go order one today, they are taking orders...

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
im going to say no to 2.0 and 3.6 just wait and get a 3.0 in a month or 2.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just got 37's , 4.88 and the 2" Mopar lift put on my 202 JL Rubi with the V6, and drove it a few days before I got my tazer and want to share my experience, my 3rd rig with gears 1st Jeep.

First the tires - changing the tires rims made a barely noticeable difference in power, what I noticed most living at 9k ft on a dirt road was the complete loss of traction control on ice - Dangerous actually - if you want your traction control to work and have 37" tires at the very least get a tazer and change the tire size, once I did that the traction control worked like on stock tires (99%).

Gears - I did drive for 4 days with the 4.88 and 37 but the cpu thought they were 33 and 4.10 - if I didnt want to use 100% of the power it would be fine, not driving over 11k ft passes would be ok also, but once I changed the settings it went back to putting a big smile on my face when I put my foot in the floor - avg gas mileage is 13!!! on a 2 door!!!
To the OP - buy the motor you want - if you put bigger tires (37s at least) then change the gears AND the settings!!!
I have a 3.6 non e-torque and its an awesome motor - just put the CAI and waiting on the Flowmaster Outlaw, I wasnt going for an Italian motor in my Jeep.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
[QUOTE="twisty, post: 931153, member: 20959"

I am however re-gearing to 4.88s since I will HOPEFULLY be wheeling it soon.
[/QUOTE]

Drip, Drip. I would re-gear but hate polishing a pig D44 axle when it comes to running 37” or larger tires and wheeling. My stock JLR on 37’s will work just fine until an axle breaks or I get real and pony up for some HD axles.
Sponsored