Which motor for lift with 37" tires?

First Name
S
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP WRANGLER JL
which motor do y’all like the most? I’m leaning towards to 4-cylinder turbo. I plan on putting a 2.5 to 3.5 lift with 37” tires. Gas mileage means nothing to me as this is a toy.

Advertisement

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Beating a dead horse? Why is that? Should I go v6 ? I can change the gear ratio too.
I’m giving you a hard time; this topic has been discussed quite frequently on these here boards. Best advice I can give is test drive both and buy whichever one you like most. They’re both great motors.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I’m giving you a hard time; this topic has been discussed quite frequently on these here boards. Best advice I can give is test drive both and buy whichever one you like most. They’re both great motors.
I probably just haven't been paying attention, but has it been discussed that specifically; i.e., 37s and each engine choice?

Test driving both isn't really going to tell him anything about how the tire size will affect the way it drives.

Good luck OP. No idea which would be the better choice. Hopefully a more specific search will give you some answers.

As for my wife's JLUR...it's on true 37s, stock 4.10 gearing and auto trans. I honestly don't think we'll be regearing to 4.88s or 5.13s as the fuel economy has been pretty good and the power is fine on the street. The 4:1 in the tcase takes care of the 4L aspect....but if I was planning to use it a lot for climbing 3-4' boulders with 3 tires at once, I'd probably opt for the re-gear of the axles.

Can't speak to the turbo 4cyl. We're happy with ours in stock trim. YMMV.

Carlton

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I have had the V6 in 4 JKs, 1 GC, and 2 JLs. Tire sizes ranging from stock to 40s. The engines have always done well. No major issues. Based on a reliability and time tested standpoint the V6 is a solid choice.

I have no experience with the turbo, it could be a great engine. I'm just not a fan of turbos overall as I've had issues with them in other vehicles.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the difference between the 3.6 and the 2.0?

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I probably just haven't been paying attention, but has it been discussed that specifically; i.e., 37s and each engine choice?

Test driving both isn't really going to tell him anything about how the tire size will affect the way it drives.

Good luck OP. No idea which would be the better choice. Hopefully a more specific search will give you some answers.

As for my wife's JLUR...it's on true 37s, stock 4.10 gearing and auto trans. I honestly don't think we'll be regearing to 4.88s or 5.13s as the fuel economy has been pretty good and the power is fine on the street. The 4:1 in the tcase takes care of the 4L aspect....but if I was planning to use it a lot for climbing 3-4' boulders with 3 tires at once, I'd probably opt for the re-gear of the axles.

Can't speak to the turbo 4cyl. We're happy with ours in stock trim. YMMV.
This is a good and timely post. I just put 37s on today and my 3.6 with auto handles them fine. Pretty seamless really. If I didn't look down at what gear I'm in (auto) I would never notice a difference.

I am however re-gearing to 4.88s since I will HOPEFULLY be wheeling it soon.

1996cc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JKUR
Wait for the diesel, or go order one today, they are taking orders...

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
im going to say no to 2.0 and 3.6 just wait and get a 3.0 in a month or 2.

Advertisement

Tazer JL - Z Automotive

Advertisement