Sponsored

Which limited slip differential on 2018 Sahara?

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
How do I know which rear end I have on my 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara? I'm going to change the differential fluid this weekend and want to know if I need the additive for the Limited Slip dif? Will the additive hurt if I use it in a non limited slip differential? Thanks!
Sponsored

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
How do I know which rear end I have on my 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara? I'm going to change the differential fluid this weekend and want to know if I need the additive for the Limited Slip dif? Will the additive hurt if I use it in a non limited slip differential? Thanks!
I'm not an expert, but I believe you will have a code stamped in to your pumpkin. Also, you can jack the entire back end up of the jeep and do the LSD wheel spin test. I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on your additive question.

Good luck with your Jeep :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Which limited slip differential on 2018 Sahara? 1598718932334

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@zmanz28

Just use Valvoline Gear Oil. It's easy to find locally.....

It has the friction modifier included.... you do not need to add the Mopar friction modifier to it.

Valvoline Gear Oil is alright to use even if your JL does not have LSD.

Do be concerned about the weights of the Valvoline that you use.

Do you have the tow package... if you do, you need to use heavier weight gear oil in the rear diff.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
No, additive will not hurt anything at all if you don't have a limited slip diff.

If you don't add it and you do have a limited slip you'll probably feel a little chatter or hear a skipping noise when making tight turns. You can always add it in if you hear or feel something.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Jack it up via the differential housing and turn one of the wheels. If both wheels turn in the same direction, you have a Limited-Slip, and if they turn in opposite directions, an Open Differential.

OP
OP
zmanz28

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Jack it up via the differential housing and turn one of the wheels. If both wheels turn in the same direction, you have a Limited-Slip, and if they turn in opposite directions, an Open Differential.
Thanks. That makes sense. I appreciate that!
Sponsored