Wrangler High Altitude 4xe

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
No power share. No data tracking. More thermal losses. No throttling (without adjusting dip switches) Less capable IMO. Decent unit but not superior IMO. I would use it if available though.
What data are you suggesting the gen 2 charger can track with no wifi or communication interfaces? There's absolutely nothing listed in any of the tesla documentation I can find that suggests any data you can track with it.

Yes, you're correct that the gen2 unit supports load balancing.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What data are you suggesting the gen 2 charger can track with no wifi or communication interfaces? There's absolutely nothing listed in any of the tesla documentation I can find that suggests any data you can track with it.

Yes, you're correct that the gen2 unit supports load balancing.
I believe that unit has WiFi and blue tooth and the power delivery can be adjusted via mobile app. I could be wrong though. I get my EVSE models confused because there are so many on the market and new models released every few weeks. I think the Tesla unit is about the same as the wallbox Pulsar Plus 40A model in capabilites.

There really needs to be some form of communication in order to power share.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
I believe that unit has WiFi and blue tooth and the power delivery can be adjusted via mobile app. I could be wrong though. I get my EVSE models confused because there are so many on the market and new models released every few weeks. I think the Tesla unit is about the same as the wallbox Pulsar Plus 40A model in capabilites.

There really needs to be some form of communication in order to power share.
The gen 2 does not have wifi or bluetooth. Power share is done via a direct wire connection.

Also, all the amperage selection is performed via dip switches, just like the grizzle unit. It isn't a smart evse.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The gen 2 does not have wifi or bluetooth. Power share is done via a direct wire connection.

Also, all the amperage selection is performed via dip switches, just like the grizzle unit. It isn't a smart evse.
Well that sucks. Then it's only advantage over the Grizzl-e is circuit share? That is a pretty nice feature though and worth the difference In price IMO. The trend is that one EV in a household leads to another and that other is usually a BEV.

The Gruzzl-e is strong enough to drive a truck over so it has that going for it. Heck of a strong enclosure.

Sponsored

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
Interesting, but no, no issues with mine. It’s great to hear that you got it going again after resetting the WIFI. 👍
My smart Grizzl-e started acting weird, and will only charge after I remove it from the wall plug and connect to the vehicle before the unit connects to wifi. Contacted Grizzl-e customer service and requested a replacement with a non-smart unit. They are shipping it and will credit the difference. Excellent customer service, but hope they clean up the app and have an intuitive interface. Until then it's the non-smart one for me.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
My smart Grizzl-e started acting weird, and will only charge after I remove it from the wall plug and connect to the vehicle before the unit connects to wifi. Contacted Grizzl-e customer service and requested a replacement with a non-smart unit. They are shipping it and will credit the difference. Excellent customer service, but hope they clean up the app and have an intuitive interface. Until then it's the non-smart one for me.
Same — I have to unplug it from the wall every time I need to charge now. Apparently they are doing some integration with ChargeLab?

https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-smart-charging-issues/

It’s super annoying but hopefully it will be fixed soon.

spockvr6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If anyone is looking for a non-nonsense basic L2 charger, I can recommend this one. Ive had one for about 5 years and its still going strong. Ive had 3 other GE Wattstations as well, and 2 of those have croaked already :-( For $249.......its hard to beat for entry into L2 charging.

https://www.jadaniell.com/

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
That's good to hear. Did you end up doing the firmware update? That seemed to help some of us here.

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
It has a 17kwh battery, why do you feel like you need a lvl2 charger? That battery will charge over night on a regular charger, no problem.
You’re right. Most people won’t need it - based on overnight charging with the OEM supplied 120v charger.

That being said, there are plenty of use cases of folks who take more than one 20+ mile trip in their Jeep each day. For every additional charge they can squeeze in, they might save a buck or two, based on the differential between gas and electricity costs. If someone anticipates enough of these extra trips, the cost could pay for itself.

Others might have another EV or hybrid, with additional usage on that second vehicle, or they plan to own hybrids or EVs going forward.

Others might live in states where incentives on level 2 chargers bring down the costs.

The federal government also has a 30% tax credit this year on cost and installation of these, so that further reduces the cost.

If you stack up several of those items above, it can be a prudent decision. But I think you’re right, that most people don’t need one.

ie2special

First Name
Ingrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe and a 2022 4xe on the way
I thought of that example of small trips, but you'd have to be going home for an hour or so every time, which seems super inconvenient.
I drive to work and back, less than 15 miles total. I get home at lunch, charge for an hour and go back. Then, I get home at 330, charge until dinner, and run all my errands with no gas. Not inconvenient at all. It is way more convenient than pumping gas two times a week.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I drive to work and back, less than 15 miles total. I get home at lunch, charge for an hour and go back. Then, I get home at 330, charge until dinner, and run all my errands with no gas. Not inconvenient at all. It is way more convenient than pumping gas two times a week.
Exactly.

Also, have a look at this. Depending on how much you used your Jeep and the last time you charged it etc:

Jeep Wrangler JL Which level 2 charger to get? 1639748638687

Look how long the screen states that the Jeep had to charge in that example. Almost 16 hours!
A level 2 charger is amazing and I recommend it, money permitting.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
ClipperCreek makes the Jeep branded charger. I've heard good reviews.
I received my Jeep branded charger today. Apparently there has been a manufacturer change as it was a JuiceBox 32. Not sure if this is due to supply chain issues but was surprised when the box arrived.
Sponsored