Which level 2 charger to get?

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2019 Ram 2500
I have a cable 6/3 Romex SIMpull CU NM-B W/G Wire already ran from basement electrical panel to Garage. All I need for electrician to install an outlet and connect to electrical panel.

Reading from the forum, 14-50 needs to have an extra ground wire to be added ( extra installation). Not sure if I'd need to run an extra wire from Garage to Basement or existing wire suffice.

Wondering if I should go 6-50 setup instead of 14-50 to avoid extra costs of installation. Planning to buy Grizzl-E level 2 charger.

Any suggestions?

I'm no electrician, but 6/3 should have the wires you need for 14-50. I'm assuming it's 6/3 with ground and it has 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. If it's just 2 hots and a ground that would be 6/2 and you would have to do 6-50 with that wire run. If it were me I would run whatever matched the wire setup and purchase the appropriate charger.
Sponsored

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Update on the Grizzl-E Smart charger. Since the firmware update, this charger has been nothing but reliable and charges quickly as advertised, between 2 and 2.5 hours.
I too have the Grizzl-E Smart. The acharger.ca portal is absolute crap (I cannot get it to give me charge reports for love nor money, even though the EVSE is listed as connected and is at 5.51), but my experience with the EVSE itself is the same -- very reliable and charges my 4xe every time.

It uses OCPP 1.6J, so I'm thinking about writing my own local CSMS and not using acharger. Or investigating one of the other certified providers. I want the data! 😂

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I too have the Grizzl-E Smart. The acharger.ca portal is absolute crap (I cannot get it to give me charge reports for love nor money, even though the EVSE is listed as connected and is at 5.51), but my experience with the EVSE itself is the same -- very reliable and charges my 4xe every time.

It uses OCPP 1.6J, so I'm thinking about writing my own local CSMS and not using acharger. Or investigating one of the other certified providers. I want the data! 😂
I thought the JuiceBox portal and app were really bad. But at least I can get data. Unfortunately, only data I can get are the session summaries.

I'm contemplating asking them if I can fix it all for free just so I can have a better app.

ace11_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4Xe
I'm no electrician, but 6/3 should have the wires you need for 14-50. I'm assuming it's 6/3 with ground and it has 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. If it's just 2 hots and a ground that would be 6/2 and you would have to do 6-50 with that wire run. If it were me I would run whatever matched the wire setup and purchase the appropriate charger.
Thanks this helps, the 6/3 has the ground, will go with 14-50..

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I thought the JuiceBox portal and app were really bad. But at least I can get data. Unfortunately, only data I can get are the session summaries.

I'm contemplating asking them if I can fix it all for free just so I can have a better app.
We have two juice boxes. We have never used the connectivity stuff once. Just plug in and juice up.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
@ipizzaipizza @JollieOllie

Did your Grizzl-e smart crap out yesterday? Mine charged fine on Thursday, but when I got home yesterday evening both it and the Jeep ended up just blinking blue, and the Jeep had the "inspect charging equipment" message. Tried unplugging, flipping off the breaker, updating the firmware from 5.51 to 5.53, everything I could think of.

The Level 1 worked, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the Jeep. After dinner, I opened up the thing and reset the WiFi connection information -- and now it works again. So I think it's a problem with the acharger.ca service. (Yes, I should have deleted and re-added the EVSE first, then tried blocking its WiFi connection at my router, but I didn't think of that until after I'd already done the WiFi reset.)

Yet more impetus to write my own CSMS and abandon acharger.ca entirely...

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
@ipizzaipizza @JollieOllie

Did your Grizzl-e smart crap out yesterday? Mine charged fine on Thursday, but when I got home yesterday evening both it and the Jeep ended up just blinking blue, and the Jeep had the "inspect charging equipment" message. Tried unplugging, flipping off the breaker, updating the firmware from 5.51 to 5.53, everything I could think of.

The Level 1 worked, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the Jeep. After dinner, I opened up the thing and reset the WiFi connection information -- and now it works again. So I think it's a problem with the acharger.ca service. (Yes, I should have deleted and re-added the EVSE first, then tried blocking its WiFi connection at my router, but I didn't think of that until after I'd already done the WiFi reset.)

Yet more impetus to write my own CSMS and abandon acharger.ca entirely...
Interesting, but no, no issues with mine. It’s great to hear that you got it going again after resetting the WIFI. 👍

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Tesla gen 2 with the J1772 plug is perfect
It does nothing that the grizzle doesn't do for cheaper, except have a lower nema rating for environmental exposure other than load balancing if you have more than one of them plugged into your house panel. I can't think of any good reason to spend more for it and get less performance unless you just like having things that say tesla.

Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y, Gladiator
It does nothing that the grizzle doesn't do for cheaper, except have a lower nema rating for environmental exposure other than load balancing if you have more than one of them plugged into your house panel. I can't think of any good reason to spend more for it and get less performance unless you just like having things that say tesla.
I've had the gen2 with the Tesla plug since December 2019 charging full EVs (model Y and Bolt) reliably. Been happy with it and the cheaper one with the J1772 plug seemed perfect for the 4xe. The gen2s were really built and designed well and are preferred to the gen 3s.

For my own install, I like the load balancing feature on the gen2 plugs because when I install a second charger, it'll be a cheaper and easier run than trying to run it again from the panel in the laundry room. Probably gonna happen when Ford gets around to building a Lightning for me.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
For my own install, I like the load balancing feature on the gen2 plugs because when I install a second charger, it'll be a cheaper and easier run than trying to run it again from the panel in the laundry room
It still needs to be on a dedicated circuit if you're installing it per code/teslas instructions.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
I've had the gen2 with the Tesla plug since December 2019 charging full EVs (model Y and Bolt) reliably. Been happy with it and the cheaper one with the J1772 plug seemed perfect for the 4xe
It's a totally fine charger. I'm not saying it is bad, just that there are better options for less money.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR