JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Leave it plugged in for few minutes even if the Jeep displays charge issue, the Grizz will cycle through and may charge at that point. If still blinking blue/purple, disconnect from outlet has also worked to get it charging on my end. Grizzl-E support isn't much help except to offer a replacement.

I've resorted to just accepting this POS charger for now as it usually works and if not, those other prior methods fixes it. Even ordered a Camco 55215 50A Powergrip Extender to make pulling plug from 240V outlet easier.
No matter how many times I plug it in and unplug it or leave it for an hour, nothing. Just the blue light on the Jeep and no charging.
Sponsored

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No matter how many times I plug it in and unplug it or leave it for an hour, nothing. Just the blue light on the Jeep and no charging.
I would try removing the cover and flipping all the dip switches a few times, then set it back to 32/40A and test.... If all fails, time for RMA replacement (I called previously to see what the RMA process was like, Grizzl-E will send advance unit out and they will include return label for defective unit).

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I would try removing the cover and flipping all the dip switches a few times, then set it back to 32/40A and test.... If all fails, time for RMA replacement (I called previously to see what the RMA process was like, Grizzl-E will send advance unit out and they will include return label for defective unit).
Just tried the dip switches. Nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
So do we have a consensus on which level 2 charger to get? Seems like this thread is all over the place with no clear winner

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
So do we have a consensus on which level 2 charger to get? Seems like this thread is all over the place with no clear winner
I'd say this is more beginning to look like a "what not to buy" thread rather then which one to get. I bought on price and when you do that, you usually sacrifice something. The Grizzl-e has been problem free for me ironically lately, so I'm okay with my purchase. Doing it all over again, I would look at Juicebox or Clippercreek and pay a little more.

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I'd say this is more beginning to look like a "what not to buy" thread rather then which one to get. I bought on price and when you do that, you usually sacrifice something. The Grizzl-e has been problem free for me ironically lately, so I'm okay with my purchase. Doing it all over again, I would look at Juicebox or Clippercreek and pay a little more.
Was there some type of setup issue with the Grizzl e? Why would you not get that one again?

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Also trying to understand the options. Most say you can get the 14-50 plug, or you pay more to get it hard wired.

But isn't it already hard wired? Trying to understand what they are talking about.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Was there some type of setup issue with the Grizzl e? Why would you not get that one again?
For me, I had some frustrating issues in the beginning, and subsequently have changed the way that I "use" it. I take my time plugging it in to the Jeep, I stand there while it cycles through until I know it's actually charging, and I've even walked by it and just unplugged it and plugged it back in just to do a reset "just in case". Sounds strange, but considering the price (for any of these) and the fact that it's actually a rather rudimentary device, I expect it to be problem free. After I got it, and had probs with it, is when I really dug around and saw that there were issues with the Grizzl-e. If I go a year with no other problems, my response might be different. Bust having owned it for just over 2 months and having nothing but problems with it the first month, right now I feel like I would make a different choice.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Also trying to understand the options. Most say you can get the 14-50 plug, or you pay more to get it hard wired.

But isn't it already hard wired? Trying to understand what they are talking about.
In theory, the ones with the plug can be hard-wired. Any electrician can convert a plugged one into being hardwired into your house. Plugged ones just allow you to (1) disconnect power easily if you ever need to, and (2) allow you to move the unit. The added benefit of it being plugged is that its easy to "reset" the box, lol.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
In theory, the ones with the plug can be hard-wired. Any electrician can convert a plugged one into being hardwired into your house. Plugged ones just allow you to (1) disconnect power easily if you ever need to, and (2) allow you to move the unit. The added benefit of it being plugged is that its easy to "reset" the box, lol.
Thanks. So what would the advantage of buying the hard wired one? I was looking at juice box and it's like $500 vs $800 so I'm not clear on why you would pay more for hard wired

Sponsored

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks. So what would the advantage of buying the hard wired one? I was looking at juice box and it's like $500 vs $800 so I'm not clear on why you would pay more for hard wired
Hard-wired EVSEs can typically provide more power. The Tesla one, for example, is only hard wired. That's not really a thing for the 4xe since it can only accept 7.2kW (30A@240V).

I'm having a 60A circuit installed with a 14-50 outlet, and will stick to plug-in versions until/unless I can use 48A@240V.

Once the circuit and outlet are in place, you can "install" a plug-in version yourself (since it's just mounting and plugging it in), so if you're unhappy with the EVSE you bought, you can return it and get a different one without calling the electrician again!

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I'm thinking of getting the juice box. But does it matter if I get the 40 amp or 32 amp?
Jeep Wrangler JL Which level 2 charger to get? Screenshot_20210615-175842_Chrome

rlnAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 4XE Sting Gray
I ordered a Charge Point Home Flex. That charger advises not to plug it into a GF circuit (will mess up the charging cycle-not all the time but sporadically). In the county I live in you cannot have a 220 line with an outlet that is not GF protected. Electrician told me he had to hard wire it, no real increase in cost but makes it non portable.
Sponsored