Sponsored

Which level 2 charger to get?

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm on the most recent firmware as well.

When it happens, I plug in, the jeep (small led by plug) cycles the typical red-blue-green, but then goes red. IIRC, the 5-led charge indicator on the dash then flashes the 1st and 5th blue led. The Grizzl-e starts flashing green like it's charging, and when unplugged from the jeep, continues to flash green (stuck). That's when I have to pull the power from the Grizzl-e.

I have not reached out to them yet, but if it continues, I will - I bought direct as well.
This also occurred a bunch of times on my end, but of late haven't experienced this scenario. I did change all the dip switches to every possible AMP settings before reverting back to default. Also noticed the tight fitment of the plug into the Jeep charging port intitally . Maybe all the hundred or more attempts to get it working previously have loosen up fitting where the error isn't happening as much as prior.

Either way, learned if there's an option to buy similar from AMZ, buy it there for ease of return vs direct where you may be stuck with no refund option.
Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent. I think you'll be impressed with the build quality, the case, cables, fasteners, bradckets, just really well engineered. They're even in your neck of the woods (HQ'ed in Toronto).

The other terrific thing is having a direct line to the original manufacturer, like when I called about my order, and an actual person answered the phone and my question in like 2 minutes.

None as of yet, I kind of just sprung for the smart version since it was only $40 more, figured, it was a little future-proofing.

I did see that United Chargers who make the Grizzl-e products has a free service, but I didn't connected our charger to it, only to the local WiFi. I setup an account on that service, it looks OK, I may wind up connecting to it to see it work, and maybe monitor some network traffic to see what's being exchanged (I'm a touch leary about a rando box/service that has access to local network data ...)

I'm going to start looking into the API, learn more about how things are implemented. It appears to me as of writing this, that the charger itself, is in charge (*snicker*) of negotiating the communication, i.e., you don't "connect" to the charger with a client app, the charger side connects to a service, so it must push data out or once connected, provide an access token (so the service could poll it).
Hi Masked,

Did you see the posts by @ipizzaipizza and @moments.by.ron below? What firmware version are you on and have you had similar problems like they have? The electrician is coming tomorrow to see what he needs to do and give me a quote.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
i also have the Smart version and have it connected to the acharger.ca portal. Mine hasn't been trouble free. Works successfully for 3-5 recharges then next time around it won't intitate charge sequence for 20+ plugging attempts. Then it will somehow suddenly work or errors in solid red light. Unplugging it from outlet usually fixes the issue but that's not a solution I want to deal with long term.
I'm on the most recent firmware as well.

When it happens, I plug in, the jeep (small led by plug) cycles the typical red-blue-green, but then goes red. IIRC, the 5-led charge indicator on the dash then flashes the 1st and 5th blue led. The Grizzl-e starts flashing green like it's charging, and when unplugged from the jeep, continues to flash green (stuck). That's when I have to pull the power from the Grizzl-e.

I have not reached out to them yet, but if it continues, I will - I bought direct as well.

Are both of you using the remote portal / have the WiFi configured? I know @ipizzaipizza said they pointed at the service offered through United Chargers/Grizll-e

Here's why I ask:

My charger still works fine, both before and after I setup the WiFI. Now to clarify, I only configured the WiFi to connect to my local network, I did not enter anything for the remote OCCP service URL.

However, I notice that now, when I connect the charger to the 4xe, there's some extra gyrations, the Grizzl-e goes through some extra light sequences (I think it even flashes red for a second), the port on the 4xe seems like it does too, the process to the point where the blue 4xe indicators are flashing takes a few extra seconds.

I'm wondering if it's attempting to confirm operation from the remote service, gets a null response, errors, then simply goes into "local mode".

If either are you ARE using the remote service and/or even have it to your WiFi, I'd try doing the WiFi reset - you unplug, remove the front cover, change the dip switches, power it on, let it cycle and wipe, then return the switches and you're back to factory settings.

Clearly, the "smart" features can be slick, but I think there's probably some janky software implementation upstream.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Are both of you using the remote portal / have the WiFi configured? I know @ipizzaipizza said they pointed at the service offered through United Chargers/Grizll-e

Here's why I ask:

My charger still works fine, both before and after I setup the WiFI. Now to clarify, I only configured the WiFi to connect to my local network, I did not enter anything for the remote OCCP service URL.

However, I notice that now, when I connect the charger to the 4xe, there's some extra gyrations, the Grizzl-e goes through some extra light sequences (I think it even flashes red for a second), the port on the 4xe seems like it does too, the process to the point where the blue 4xe indicators are flashing takes a few extra seconds.

I'm wondering if it's attempting to confirm operation from the remote service, gets a null response, errors, then simply goes into "local mode".

If either are you ARE using the remote service and/or even have it to your WiFi, I'd try doing the WiFi reset - you unplug, remove the front cover, change the dip switches, power it on, let it cycle and wipe, then return the switches and you're back to factory settings.

Clearly, the "smart" features can be slick, but I think there's probably some janky software implementation upstream.

All in all, probably tried 30+ different scenarios (no wifi, wifi connected, wifi reset, removal of charger from portal, all dip settings, breakers on/off, you name it, I tried it). I even asked Grizzl-E support if somehow it was waiting for a remote handshake prior to charge initiation and they said no remote/calling home is required. The only ones in the forums or FB groups with issues seem to be Grizzl-E owners.

Sponsored

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
All in all, probably tried 30+ different scenarios (no wifi, wifi connected, wifi reset, removal of charger from portal, all dip settings, breakers on/off, you name it, I tried it). I even asked Grizzl-E support if somehow it was waiting for a remote handshake prior to charge initiation and they said no remote/calling home is required. The only ones in the forums or FB groups with issues seem to be Grizzl-E owners.
The last 4 charge sessions have worked upon 1st plugin so I hope whatever I've done has fixed the issue. If it does red light again, going to pull the wifi card as last attempt.

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Grizzl-e Smart Charger, but I'm a bit hesitant now and will keep tracking this thread to see what you guys are experiencing. I hope they fix those issues.

Does Clipper Creek have a WiFi version in the pipeline? It would be nice to take advantage of the local incentives related to smart chargers.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Grizzl-e Smart Charger, but I'm a bit hesitant now and will keep tracking this thread to see what you guys are experiencing. I hope they fix those issues.

Does Clipper Creek have a WiFi version in the pipeline? It would be nice to take advantage of the local incentives related to smart chargers.
The Wifi version isn't worth it for the extra $30 or so. Their portal is from 1999 UI with very limited functionality.
Just get one of the slightly more expensive wifi enabled chargers if your local provider requires it for incentives, and buy it direct from AMZ for ease of return if you run into issues.
I only purchased the Grizz due to wanting a basic black box and not some modern curve designed charger.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The Wifi version isn't worth it for the extra $30 or so. Their portal is from 1999 UI with very limited functionality.
Just get one of the slightly more expensive wifi enabled chargers if your local provider requires it for incentives, and buy it direct from AMZ for ease of return if you run into issues.
I only purchased the Grizz due to wanting a basic black box and not some modern curve designed charger.
Yeah, I only did it because it was ~$40 more vs. the un-smart 🤣

Their service is pretty mediocre looking (I made an account, but haven't connected the charger to it), but that's the thing , OCPP is an open specification, so you can point it to any service. In fact, at some point, I'm going to reconfig mine to use an internal IP on a server, and see what the communication traffic looks like. 🤓

The box itself is nicely built, has high weather/temp tolerances, high quality fasteners, super meaty cables, 3-year warranty, and $439 at Amazon (non-WiFi). Of course, if it doesn't work, that's an issue, but I'm still not convinced it's some weird smart config issue - or on the vehicle side - given the 100s of reviews that report an experience like mine.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in the wrong thread, but here you go:

My Grizzl-e Smart was installed yesterday (Friday) and since it has been installed it has been flashing blue/purple. Once I plug it in, these three things happened:

1. The Jeep did not charge
2. The charger blinking light changed to a blue only blinking light
3. The message in the Jeep was that there is an external issue

I have submitted a case with the support team. The one person I talked to did mention that they have been hearing of issues with some Jeep 4xe's. I'll let you know how this will be resolved and if I will recommend the product or not.

Sponsored

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I posted this in the wrong thread, but here you go:

My Grizzl-e Smart was installed yesterday (Friday) and since it has been installed it has been flashing blue/purple. Once I plug it in, these three things happened:

1. The Jeep did not charge
2. The charger blinking light changed to a blue only blinking light
3. The message in the Jeep was that there is an external issue

I have submitted a case with the support team. The one person I talked to did mention that they have been hearing of issues with some Jeep 4xe's. I'll let you know how this will be resolved and if I will recommend the product or not.
Leave it plugged in for few minutes even if the Jeep displays charge issue, the Grizz will cycle through and may charge at that point. If still blinking blue/purple, disconnect from outlet has also worked to get it charging on my end. Grizzl-E support isn't much help except to offer a replacement.

I've resorted to just accepting this POS charger for now as it usually works and if not, those other prior methods fixes it. Even ordered a Camco 55215 50A Powergrip Extender to make pulling plug from 240V outlet easier.

Billet4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I just got my Grizzl-e Smart installed and running today. Self-installation and it appears to be working perfectly. I haven't connected the Wi-Fi, so it blinks blue/purple until it's plugged into the 4xe. It only takes about 5 seconds for the charger and vehicle to negotiate the connection and start charging. Based on this it sounds like you might have a defective charger.

Gorilla83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4XE, 2021 Tesla 3 Performance
Occupation
Tech and Real Estate Guy
Another grizz-le smart owner here - I have mine installed but waiting on my 4xE delivery to test. Fingers crossed mine functions normally, you guys have me a little worried now. :)

also agree the portal/interface is a bit old school. I too couldn’t resist the smart option for a minimal upcharge, although without an app likely not very useful on my end.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Another grizz-le smart owner here - I have mine installed but waiting on my 4xE delivery to test. Fingers crossed mine functions normally, you guys have me a little worried now. :)

also agree the portal/interface is a bit old school. I too couldn’t resist the smart option for a minimal upcharge, although without an app likely not very useful on my end.
Yeah- I got the smart charger for future enhancements really - and I ordered direct to save on taxes. It's not been giving me problems since I posted about it....maybe it is "smart".

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Plugged into Jeep just now, Grizzl-E errors and red LED. Unplugged charger from outlet and it works again.
Sponsored