Which level 2 charger to get?

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Do you have it set at 32 amps, which is what the Mopar charger is, or is it ok to have it set at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit). Thanks!
I have mine set at 40 amps on my 50 amp circuit. Works great.
Sponsored

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
I started with this charger:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7N6QZX/

LEFANEV branded, I bought the model with an N5-60 plug, provides 32a out, and has a 20' cable. Not 100% sure on the warranty, assuming since it's not mentioned, it's probably just a year. $415 from Amazon (at my time of purchase, but in getting that link, I noticed they're sold out ...)
In your search did you ever run across one with a longer than 24' cable? I'd like to mount it on the back wall of the garage (about 22' deep) and be able to charge just outside the garage. Prob need just a few more feet for that. 28-30' would be perfect.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
In your search did you ever run across one with a longer than 24' cable? I'd like to mount it on the back wall of the garage (about 22' deep) and be able to charge just outside the garage. Prob need just a few more feet for that. 28-30' would be perfect.
I did! PRIMECOM makes a charger that looks identical to the first one we had (so probably the same manufacturer upstream somewhere ...), 40a with a 30' charger cable:

https://www.amazon.com/PRIMECOM-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station/dp/B08KCWGBLV

If you look in the description, they have a URL to a different model they offer, with super long charger cables, here's one with a 50'

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHK5NXS

The charger itself is a bit smaller vs. the top model, don't know if that means anything (i.e., thermal issues, etc.).

The other thing you might consider is a charger extension, it just connects to the charging port:

https://www.amazon.com/Morec-J1772-Extension-Charging-Stations/dp/B07HRHYQY2/

Though personally, I'd much rather just have a single, longer cable (one less failure point). FWIW, the company that makes that extension (Morec) ALSO makes a charger that looks exactly like both the PRIMECOM and the LEFANEV, hahaha, EV chargers are like air fryers (same exact product, 30 different "brands").

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
I did! PRIMECOM makes a charger that looks identical to the first one we had (so probably the same manufacturer upstream somewhere ...), 40a with a 30' charger cable:
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide all the info! I'd rather have the single cable as well and yes, I completely believe they all come out of the same factory!

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Got our Grizzl-E 40a Smart charger in and mounted. Per a previous post, we had a 50a circuit added to our box with an N6-50 receptacle right next to it (only $225 for the install).

Anyway, holy smokes, the Grizzl-E is a seriously stout product, all the fasteners are high grade, the case thickness, the insanely heavy duty cables. I went ahead and ordered direct and paid $40 more (vs. Amazon pricing) for a "smart" model - it's OCPP 1.6 compliant which allows 3rd party apps to manage/monitor over WiFi, I might code something custom to access the data on the box (the API) appears to be open source (NERD!)

It also has a metal charging connector lock, options for N6-50 or N14-50 plugs, a 3 year warranty (with an option for 5) designed in Canada for their weather, so water resistant, cold resistant (obv. up to a point). Ours is mounted in the garage, but we're 2 blocks from the ocean, and things tend to ++dissolve++ around here, so I'm glad it designed to withstand the elements.

Oh yeah, it also has a super nice - seems to be stainless - mounting bracket, it's two pieces with a locking pin, so the charger is easily removed from the wall without any tools.

Mine was preset for the max 40a (giving me the recommended 20% tolerance on a 50a circuit), and the 4xe only pulls the ~30amps it needs. It can be set via internal dip switches to a fix max, if, for example, you're running it on a 30a circuit (I think there's a 24a setting).

My actual install:

Jeep Wrangler JL Which level 2 charger to get? 1621605947245

Sponsored

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I just picked up the Grizzl-E Smart charger as well - ordered direct from Grizzl-E ($479), no tax and free shipping - so it basically was only a few dollars more than if ordering the non-Smart version on Amazon ($439+tax=$468).

I already have a 6/3 240 line in the garage that was powering a 10,000w garage heater that I am going to repurpose with a 14-50 plug for the charger. In the fall I'm going to run a second dedicated 6/2 240 line to the garage to re-establish power to the heater.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Got our Grizzl-E 40a Smart charger in and mounted. Per a previous post, we had a 50a circuit added to our box with an N6-50 receptacle right next to it (only $225 for the install).

Anyway, holy smokes, the Grizzl-E is a seriously stout product, all the fasteners are high grade, the case thickness, the insanely heavy duty cables. I went ahead and ordered direct and paid $40 more (vs. Amazon pricing) for a "smart" model - it's OCPP 1.6 compliant which allows 3rd party apps to manage/monitor over WiFi, I might code something custom to access the data on the box (the API) appears to be open source (NERD!)

It also has a metal charging connector lock, options for N6-50 or N14-50 plugs, a 3 year warranty (with an option for 5) designed in Canada for their weather, so water resistant, cold resistant (obv. up to a point). Ours is mounted in the garage, but we're 2 blocks from the ocean, and things tend to ++dissolve++ around here, so I'm glad it designed to withstand the elements.

Oh yeah, it also has a super nice - seems to be stainless - mounting bracket, it's two pieces with a locking pin, so the charger is easily removed from the wall without any tools.

Mine was preset for the max 40a (giving me the recommended 20% tolerance on a 50a circuit), and the 4xe only pulls the ~30amps it needs. It can be set via internal dip switches to a fix max, if, for example, you're running it on a 30a circuit (I think there's a 24a setting).

Hi Masked, I followed your advice and ordered the Grizzl-E 40a Smart charger. Can’t wait for it to arrive so I can have it installed. Thanks for sharing your experience!

feashore

First Name
Ness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty 2005

Which 3rd party app are you using with it?

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Hi Masked, I followed your advice and ordered the Grizzl-E 40a Smart charger. Can’t wait for it to arrive so I can have it installed. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Excellent. I think you'll be impressed with the build quality, the case, cables, fasteners, bradckets, just really well engineered. They're even in your neck of the woods (HQ'ed in Toronto).

The other terrific thing is having a direct line to the original manufacturer, like when I called about my order, and an actual person answered the phone and my question in like 2 minutes.

Which 3rd party app are you using with it?
None as of yet, I kind of just sprung for the smart version since it was only $40 more, figured, it was a little future-proofing.

I did see that United Chargers who make the Grizzl-e products has a free service, but I didn't connected our charger to it, only to the local WiFi. I setup an account on that service, it looks OK, I may wind up connecting to it to see it work, and maybe monitor some network traffic to see what's being exchanged (I'm a touch leary about a rando box/service that has access to local network data ...)

I'm going to start looking into the API, learn more about how things are implemented. It appears to me as of writing this, that the charger itself, is in charge (*snicker*) of negotiating the communication, i.e., you don't "connect" to the charger with a client app, the charger side connects to a service, so it must push data out or once connected, provide an access token (so the service could poll it).

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Excellent. I think you'll be impressed with the build quality, the case, cables, fasteners, bradckets, just really well engineered. They're even in your neck of the woods (HQ'ed in Toronto).

The other terrific thing is having a direct line to the original manufacturer, like when I called about my order, and an actual person answered the phone and my question in like 2 minutes.

None as of yet, I kind of just sprung for the smart version since it was only $40 more, figured, it was a little future-proofing.

I did see that United Chargers who make the Grizzl-e products has a free service, but I didn't connected our charger to it, only to the local WiFi. I setup an account on that service, it looks OK, I may wind up connecting to it to see it work, and maybe monitor some network traffic to see what's being exchanged (I'm a touch leary about a rando box/service that has access to local network data ...)

I'm going to start looking into the API, learn more about how things are implemented. It appears to me as of writing this, that the charger itself, is in charge (*snicker*) of negotiating the communication, i.e., you don't "connect" to the charger with a client app, the charger side connects to a service, so it must push data out or once connected, provide an access token (so the service could poll it).
i also have the Smart version and have it connected to the acharger.ca portal. Mine hasn't been trouble free. Works successfully for 3-5 recharges then next time around it won't intitate charge sequence for 20+ plugging attempts. Then it will somehow suddenly work or errors in solid red light. Unplugging it from outlet usually fixes the issue but that's not a solution I want to deal with long term.

Sponsored

WrekEE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Raptor, 21 JLUR Rubicon 4xe (ordered 5/24)
Has anyone used the Axfast from Costco. I ordered it when it was $60 off but waig for my 4xe to arrive.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
i also have the Smart version and have it connected to the acharger.ca portal. Mine hasn't been trouble free. Works successfully for 3-5 recharges then next time around it won't intitate charge sequence for 20+ plugging attempts. Then it will somehow suddenly work or errors in solid red light. Unplugging it from outlet usually fixes the issue but that's not a solution I want to deal with long term.
I was getting occasional unrecoverable errors on my non-smart Grizzl-e. The plug is wired through an old school switch, so turning the switch off then on reset the charger. Then one day it was totally dead. Turned out the old school switch had old school screw-in glass fuses in the box and one was loose. Kind of ironic that all the fuses in my Jeep were fully seated on delivery, but I end up with a non-seated fuse in my charger set-up. Tightened it up and all was good. No errors since then.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Having the same issue. Seems to be when I go for more than 24 hours between plug-ins, but that's just a guess at this point. Unplugging the charger from the wall for 10 secs and plugging it back in seems to fix it. On two occasions I only unplugged and replugged fairly quickly and that didn't work - only leaving it unplugged for 10 secs or more seems to work - so the fix requires a complete internal discharge.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Having the same issue. Seems to be when I go for more than 24 hours between plug-ins, but that's just a guess at this point. Unplugging the charger from the wall for 10 secs and plugging it back in seems to fix it. On two occasions I only unplugged and replugged fairly quickly and that didn't work - only leaving it unplugged for 10 secs or more seems to work - so the fix requires a complete internal discharge.
What firmware version? My Grizz is on 05.32 which appears to be latest available for download.
On the multiple occasions where it doesn't want to start the charge, Jeep flashes blue for 5-6 secs then nothing happens (4XE isn't on any schedule). Have you also reached out to Grizzl-E? I've requested a return but since this was purchased direct, they are only offering an exchange.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
What firmware version? My Grizz is on 05.32 which appears to be latest available for download.
On the multiple occasions where it doesn't want to start the charge, Jeep flashes blue for 5-6 secs then nothing happens (4XE isn't on any schedule). Have you also reached out to Grizzl-E? I've requested a return but since this was purchased direct, they are only offering an exchange.
I'm on the most recent firmware as well.

When it happens, I plug in, the jeep (small led by plug) cycles the typical red-blue-green, but then goes red. IIRC, the 5-led charge indicator on the dash then flashes the 1st and 5th blue led. The Grizzl-e starts flashing green like it's charging, and when unplugged from the jeep, continues to flash green (stuck). That's when I have to pull the power from the Grizzl-e.

I have not reached out to them yet, but if it continues, I will - I bought direct as well.
Sponsored