First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I ordered the Grizzl-e Premium off Amazon. No extra electronics to go bad, adjustable amperage and a heavy duty cable.
Sponsored

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
I installed a 100 amp panel in the garage for 2 chargers.
The charger I’m using is grizzl-e classic with a 24’ cord.
It’s working great.
Do you have it set at 32 amps, which is what the Mopar charger is, or is it ok to have it set at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit). Thanks!

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I presume everyone here knows about the federal incentive for home chargers.......correct? I not, then look up IRS form 8911. Doesn't cover all the costs but helps. In my case it ended up getting me a $700 refund on my tax return this year.

Next, check with your utility provider to see if they offer L2 EVSE devices at a discount. Here in Phoenix, we can get a ChargePoint Home Flex 50 amp charger for $450 ($250 off retail price). I know the 4xe doesn't need 50 amps but if you can get it for $450 and cover most of the installation costs with the federal rebate, then it might make sense to go that route (assuming you have capacity in your breaker panel for a circuit that size.)

The truth is that PHEVs are usually training wheels for full BEVs. Meaning, most everybody that gets a PHEV ends up loving the idea of driving electric and their next vehicle is usually a BEV. When the Wrangler BEV comes out, there is a very good chance it will be capable of 12 or 15 kW charging speeds so if you already have a 50A EVSE you will be future proofed at home.

Just a thought......

P.S. You can plug your 4xe into a 50A EVSE no problem. I do it all the time. They only deliver whatever power the vehicle is capable of handling so there isn't any concern about the EVSE being oversized. When I am charging my Mach-E.....it delivers 48 amps. When I plug in the Wrangler, it delivers about 30 amps. The charger is actually in the car so the only thing that matters is how much current is available. If there is enough to power the in-car charger at full speed then great. If not, then it charges at a slower speed.....still not a problem. Just takes longer.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have it set at 32 amps, which is what the Mopar charger is, or is it ok to have it set at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit). Thanks!
You can set the EVSE to deliver the maximum current it is capable of (provided your circuit is sized appropriately, Correct wire gauge, breaker etc).

The charger is in the Jeep. It will only draw as much power as it can handle (providing the EVSE is able to provide).

Installing a more powerful EVSE is okay and allows for future vehicle purchases. There are only going to be more and more electrified vehicles in our future....

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2019 Ram 2500
I have the Grizzl-E with the NEMA 6-50P. I've been very happy with it.

Sponsored

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
I just had the Grizzl-E 14-50 NEMA 40 amp installed today. I had my electrician run a 60 amp line to future proof. The 4Xe can only handle 32 amps but EV batteries will only get bigger and need a larger amp to charge them in the future. I am excited to charge in 2 hrs instead of almost 13 hrs.

Boondoggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I have a question about charging and specifically scheduling it. What is the purpose of scheduling a charge? Don't you just plug it in and it charges and then when you're done you unplug it? What is needed to schedule? The very nature of plugging it in is you starting the charging process.

Unless it's because people want to immediately plug in when they get home (so it's part of a routine) but don't want to use power until they are sleeping so there is less drain on the overall power in the house? So you plug it in at 6pm when you get home but it won't charge until 11pm to 7am as scheduled and then you unplug it and go to work?
In most jurisdictions, the power companies have different rates for different time of day; for example, a cheaper kw between 11pm and 5am. This is especially true if you have installed a level 2 charger...they may give you even better rates than normal residences.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Why do you need or want a high amp 220V charger for a 21 mile battery? Heat kills batteries. I'll be first in line for real EV JLR. I've already got the 10K watt generator I'll take camping to charge it.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
New guy here, just ordered my 4xe (Sarge Green) this week.

I (that is my wife...) have owned a Nissan Leaf all electric since 2012. Initially, she was driving 10 or 15 miles per day, and we would run around town on weekends. Later, I commuted 45 or so miles each weekday charging only at home. In these 7 or so years, I have never had, nor had a need for, a level 2 charger. And I never ran into a situation where I couldn't recharge overnight. Granted, I have an ICE vehicle available if something unexpected popped up, but has occurred only 2 or 3 times.

With a hybrid that can drive without the battery and can even recharge its own battery at my command, I am even less worried about being only partially charged when I have to make an unexpected run to the store.

Further, if I were to buy a level 2 charger, after watching this video , I would not want to pay any more than the minimum reasonable price.

Frankly, I plan to use the $160 - $600 on useful accessories and just plug my 4xe in with the provided level 1 charger.

My recommendation is to delay buying the level 2 charger and see if the level 1 is good enough for your situation. You can always buy one later, if you decide that it will increase your electric only drive time.

These opinions are just that, my opinions based on my experiences.
All good points. With a 21 mile range battery, a level 2 charger is likely to heat up the battery. I charge my leaf with a level 2 about once a week and only charge it to 90% to maximize battery life. I never run it below 30% charge for the same reason. I could easily charge it with the level 1. Until my JLR arrives, I don't have a backup car. Once a month I do a full stabilize charge.

I'll be first in line when a true EV JLR is available.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you need or want a high amp 220V charger for a 21 mile battery? Heat kills batteries. I'll be first in line for real EV JLR. I've already got the 10K watt generator I'll take camping to charge it.
Most modern plug in vehicles have liquid cooling so L2 isn't any concern. Nissan Leaf BEV and Ford Energi PHEV models are air cooled so that is more of a concern.

The real danger to the HVB is DCFC, which the 4xe doesn't have so it is not a concern. L2 gives many advantages. It is 6 times faster than L1 and allows the vehicle to be remote started to precondition the cabin while on plug. Most importantly, it will have full shore power available to heat or cool the battery when parked in extreme temps (provided it is plugged in).

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I started with this charger:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7N6QZX/

LEFANEV branded, I bought the model with an N5-60 plug, provides 32a out, and has a 20' cable. Not 100% sure on the warranty, assuming since it's not mentioned, it's probably just a year. $415 from Amazon (at my time of purchase, but in getting that link, I noticed they're sold out ...)

Solid product, great review, has a really slick display that shows kWh, amps, charge status, etc.

However, it was a touch short, I wanted to be able to reach the charging port front or backed, they didn't have a longer option, thought about an extension, either from the charger connector itself, or the (eventual new) outlet, but I also thought about maybe some additional future proofing.

So I looked at a couple of options, there's at least one company with the exact same charger as above under a different label, they had a 32a with a 24' cable, but it was $110 more, so I figured if I was going to pay more, get a few more improvements.

I started looking at the Grizzl-E products again (Canadian based company), they've had terrific feedback on several forums (in addition to Amazon), I was a little bummed there was no indicators/display, but figured I'd go with function over bells~n~whistles. The model with a heavy duty 24' cable, 6-50 plug, and 40a max capacity was only ~$24 more than the LEFANEV model we had (~$439 at Amazon), and it's built with a lot of emphasis on weather/moisture/temp resistance (can be installed outside).

But I kept seeing their "Smart" model come up in searches, it's just not available through Amazon, so I hit up their website, they have direct sales, confirmed it was in stock, and ordered online. A day processing and it's on the way, no tax, free shipping to me, and only $479, and it's 40a, OCPP compliant WiFi device for app based monitoring, plus their HD cable, 24', chose the version with the N6-50 (it's modular), and it comes with a 3 year warranty (5 year available for an additional charge).

https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-smart/

It'll be here Wednesday, maybe sooner, I'll follow back up.

Yesterday I had a 50a 5-60 outlet installed in the garage (right next to the breaker panel), nice clean flush mount, right in the center of the rear wall, so I'll be installing the new charger right above that (was using a temp 5-60_ot_10-30 adapter for the previous charger) and with the 24' cable it can reach anywhere in the garage with some slack.

Should be a slick setup, and it being a little more weather resistant is good, we're 2-blocks from the ocean so even stuff in the garage get a decent amount of moisture exposure. Also, I have plans, based on a few more models hitting the streets and/or the Fed Tax credit reinstatement, to go BEV with my car, so this will give me up to 40a charging on a car that supports it (a Model 3 Performance with an adapter for example :) )

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I started with this charger:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7N6QZX/

LEFANEV branded, I bought the model with an N5-60 plug, provides 32a out, and has a 20' cable. Not 100% sure on the warranty, assuming since it's not mentioned, it's probably just a year. $415 from Amazon (at my time of purchase, but in getting that link, I noticed they're sold out ...)

Solid product, great review, has a really slick display that shows kWh, amps, charge status, etc.

However, it was a touch short, I wanted to be able to reach the charging port front or backed, they didn't have a longer option, thought about an extension, either from the charger connector itself, or the (eventual new) outlet, but I also thought about maybe some additional future proofing.

So I looked at a couple of options, there's at least one company with the exact same charger as above under a different label, they had a 32a with a 24' cable, but it was $110 more, so I figured if I was going to pay more, get a few more improvements.

I started looking at the Grizzl-E products again (Canadian based company), they've had terrific feedback on several forums (in addition to Amazon), I was a little bummed there was no indicators/display, but figured I'd go with function over bells~n~whistles. The model with a heavy duty 24' cable, 6-50 plug, and 40a max capacity was only ~$24 more than the LEFANEV model we had (~$439 at Amazon), and it's built with a lot of emphasis on weather/moisture/temp resistance (can be installed outside).

But I kept seeing their "Smart" model come up in searches, it's just not available through Amazon, so I hit up their website, they have direct sales, confirmed it was in stock, and ordered online. A day processing and it's on the way, no tax, free shipping to me, and only $479, and it's 40a, OCPP compliant WiFi device for app based monitoring, plus their HD cable, 24', chose the version with the N6-50 (it's modular), and it comes with a 3 year warranty (5 year available for an additional charge).

https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-smart/

It'll be here Wednesday, maybe sooner, I'll follow back up.

Yesterday I had a 50a 5-60 outlet installed in the garage (right next to the breaker panel), nice clean flush mount, right in the center of the rear wall, so I'll be installing the new charger right above that (was using a temp 5-60_ot_10-30 adapter for the previous charger) and with the 24' cable it can reach anywhere in the garage with some slack.

Should be a slick setup, and it being a little more weather resistant is good, we're 2-blocks from the ocean so even stuff in the garage get a decent amount of moisture exposure. Also, I have plans, based on a few more models hitting the streets and/or the Fed Tax credit reinstatement, to go BEV with my car, so this will give me up to 40a charging on a car that supports it (a Model 3 Performance with an adapter for example :) )
Yep, the 5-60 or 14-50 plug ins are the way to go with these.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Yep, the 5-60, 14-50 plug ins depending on amps is the way to go with these.
And for those not ITK (I wasn't before I started researching this), the (NEMA) N6-50 and N14-50 are both receptacles / specs that allow up to 50 amps (that's the <dash>50), the N6 is a 3 prong, the N14 is a 4 prong, the N6 is commonly used for things like welding equipment, while the N14 is apparently common at RV parks.

The big difference, is the N6 is a 240, wired up as hot-hot-gnd, while the N14 is hot-hot-neutral-gnd, and it allows both a 110/240 through the same connector with a two-phase config - it's a little more complex to wire as it requires the neutral. The idea is you could use a single connection and supply power to 110v devices (like lights) and a 240v appliance (like an oven).

EVs don't need this, so I opted for the simpler install of the N6, if you're just talking the 240v supply, there's effectively zero difference in the two. The N14-50 might be more flexible if you took your L2 charger on the road and planned on using RV parks as a charging location.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
And for those not ITK (I wasn't before I started researching this), the (NEMA) N6-50 and N14-50 are both receptacles / specs that allow up to 50 amps (that's the <dash>50), the N6 is a 3 prong, the N14 is a 4 prong, the N6 is commonly used for things like welding equipment, while the N14 is apparently common at RV parks.

The big difference, is the N6 is a 240, wired up as hot-hot-gnd, while the N14 is hot-hot-neutral-gnd, and it allows both a 110/240 through the same connector with a two-phase config - it's a little more complex to wire as it requires the neutral. The idea is you could use a single connection and supply power to 110v devices (like lights) and a 240v appliance (like an oven).

EVs don't need this, so I opted for the simpler install of the N6, if you're just talking the 240v supply, there's effectively zero difference in the two. The N14-50 might be more flexible if you took your L2 charger on the road and planned on using RV parks as a charging location.
Yep, I want it portable when needed. I fixed the amp part.
Sponsored