Which level 2 charger to get?

Newbie 4xe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I recommend checking with your electric utility to see if they have a rebate or incentive program. Ours sold the Charge Point to us for $600 and then gave us a $500 rebate after installation, so we only paid $100 and the install cost.

In terms of which type of plug, it doesn't really matter. That plug can be changed out by an electrician if you ever need to repurpose it for a dryer or other heavy appliance that requires a different plug format. We already had a 6-50 outlet in our garage, so our installation was limited to the electrician confirming the circuit amperage and then hanging the charger on the concrete wall for me.

I have been happy with the Charge Point so far, but I will also share that it is not our first charger cord setup. Our first one was a TurboCord Dual 120 and 240-Volt 16 Amp Plug-In EV Charger that just plugs directly into the outlet and doesn't need installation. We only moved to the charge point because we have both an EV and (once my 4xe finds it way out of a 2 month long inspection) a PHEV now and wanted to be able to charge both at level 2 simultaneously.
First of all, as a fellow Snazzberry Sahara 4xe driver, I like your style!

Our local PA utility doesn’t offer any rebates except for commercial uses.

Are there any other advantages to charge point? I downloaded their app just in case I wanted to charge up while I’m out and about.
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires

Are there any other advantages to charge point? I downloaded their app just in case I wanted to charge up while I’m out and about.
The advantage to me is the ones at work are charge point and they are free :)

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner
I have a question about charging and specifically scheduling it. What is the purpose of scheduling a charge? Don't you just plug it in and it charges and then when you're done you unplug it? What is needed to schedule? The very nature of plugging it in is you starting the charging process.

Unless it's because people want to immediately plug in when they get home (so it's part of a routine) but don't want to use power until they are sleeping so there is less drain on the overall power in the house? So you plug it in at 6pm when you get home but it won't charge until 11pm to 7am as scheduled and then you unplug it and go to work?
Scheduling allows you to charge when electricity is cheapest. For example, my electric company offers a discount if I charge my car between 11 pm and 6 am. I suggest you check with yours to see if discounts are available.

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner
I recommend checking with your electric utility to see if they have a rebate or incentive program. Ours sold the Charge Point to us for $600 and then gave us a $500 rebate after installation, so we only paid $100 and the install cost.

In terms of which type of plug, it doesn't really matter. That plug can be changed out by an electrician if you ever need to repurpose it for a dryer or other heavy appliance that requires a different plug format. We already had a 6-50 outlet in our garage, so our installation was limited to the electrician confirming the circuit amperage and then hanging the charger on the concrete wall for me.

I have been happy with the Charge Point so far, but I will also share that it is not our first charger cord setup. Our first one was a TurboCord Dual 120 and 240-Volt 16 Amp Plug-In EV Charger that just plugs directly into the outlet and doesn't need installation. We only moved to the charge point because we have both an EV and (once my 4xe finds it way out of a 2 month long inspection) a PHEV now and wanted to be able to charge both at level 2 simultaneously.
Very good advise. To share, I checked with my electric company and they deducted 500 right from the cost of new charger. I end up paying $177 for $700 charger. Here is the link for those in Long Island, NY.

https://www.psegliny.com/saveenergyandmoney/greenenergy/ev/smartcharge

Sponsored

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner

I am new to hybrid as most of us are with my Jeep being the first one. I was recently at a couple of different ChargePoint stations as I parked my car and I looked at the prices. Unless those are free (sponsored by someone like a workplace) I do not plan to use than and will stay with gas while traveling. I do not see economic benefits of paying for a session and then KWH. My two cents glad to understand what others are thinking.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am new to hybrid as most of us are with my Jeep being the first one. I was recently at a couple of different ChargePoint stations as I parked my car and I looked at the prices. Unless those are free (sponsored by someone like a workplace) I do not plan to use than and will stay with gas while traveling. I do not see economic benefits of paying for a session and then KWH. My two cents glad to understand what others are thinking.
Agree. You definitely need to pay attention to the cost on the app. Also, make sure you see how long you get if you find one at a good price as many have the price jump quite a bit after a certain amount of time. The ones at my work are free but most are not.

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Use an app like PlugShare, usually pretty accurate about fees and types of charges available (and reviews/pics from other users). Depending on your location, I’ve seen ridiculously priced chargers with free ones in the lot next door, or a business that will give you free access if visiting them. 😉 Use the filters to only show those with a J-1772 plug, otherwise it will show others (like Tesla) you can’t use.

orejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Snazzberry Sahara

I look forward to actually joining the Snazzberry Sahara 4xe club when my gal gets out of the longest inspection ever!

I have been driving exclusively EVs and Plug ins for about 5 years now and I humbly admit that I have only charged away from home once ever and it was a free plug in at the airport, no account needed. Our PHEV Kia Niro was our long distance road trip vehicle and we would just run out the battery and keep going. With the small number of miles we got on pure electric (about 26) it was just not worth the time and hassle to find a stop and charge back up on those rare occasion road trips. 90% of our driving is in town and in either the Niro or our Leaf we had enough charge to end up back home to plug in overnight. I expect this behavior to change with the 4xe though, since gas mileage on it is about half what it was on our Niro and there is a greater incentive to charge back up when feasible.

That was my long story version of saying I have no idea what other benefits Charge Point offers. I just unplug and go. I have a camping trip coming up at the beginning of May though and with the Jeep still not here I am going to have to charge up our EV Niro during the trip to make the full round trip mileage...first time for everything!

jetfixer

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I installed a 100 amp panel in the garage for 2 chargers.
The charger I’m using is grizzl-e classic with a 24’ cord.
It’s working great.

Sponsored

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody have one of these or is anybody considering it?

Jeep Wrangler JL Which level 2 charger to get? 1620312651256
Nope....went with an off brand unit that I use with another PHEV and it works great for about $300 less...my understanding is 4XE can only charge at max 32 amps, so no need to go with a higher amp unit.

Lectron 240V 32 Amp Level 2 EV Charger with 21ft Extension Cord J1772 Cable and NEMA 14-50 Plug
by Wasserstein Home

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKLCXPJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_8TR0B0ZRTSXXKKFYGRF7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This is a Clipper Creek HCS 40 which you can get cheaper without the Mopar or Jeep name on it. Just go to Clipper Creek's website. They show a 4 to 5 week lead time to get the product. They sent mine out in 3 days. I got the plug in 14-50 version.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I purchased the JuiceBox 40 plug in version from the Enel-X-Network. It arrived about 7 days after the ordering. The system works really well and it is WIFI capable. I plug it into whichever vehicle needs to be recharged overnight (have two, 4xe and a Pacifica hybrid). With the JuiceBox App I can set the time to start charging to match the cheapest electric rate period (I am on time of use electric rate). I really like the set up. My local utility in Michigan provides a fixed rebate towards the purchase and installation, only if the unit has a WIFI set up.

I had a local NEC licensed electrical company complete the installation process and provide the power to the location in my attached garage. . The level 2 charger also has a federal tax credit for the purchase and installation. It is 30% of the total cost with a $1000 max tax credit.

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe

I initially was going to purchase this off of Amazon, but then it didnt ship when expected, got little to know info, etc. Long story short, I started to look elsewhere, but everything was out of stock. ClipperCreek, Juicebox, Chargepoint, etc.

I ended up with a WallBox Pulsar Plus for the 649.00. Came within two days, and has been great. The only negative I have to say about it, is that the cord is a bit stiff. Otherwise, I really like it for the pricepoint and size.
Sponsored