MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Thank you.

I bought the smart version, but looking back, I should have just bought the Classic Grizzl-e. oh well
Same here, I mean, being able to easily update the firmware was pretty nice, and at the time we bought ours, it was like only $30 (maybe $40?) more, figured why not.

Geez, since we got ours the base model went up , and the last time I checked the smart version was more like $90+ more!
Sponsored

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
My 3rd charger arrives next week. They told me the engineers have put in a program that should have no problems with the 4xe. Update to follow!!
Received my charger. Just did it’s first charge and got a full charge with no errors for the very first time. Perhaps the third time is the charm!

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
super late into this discussion but we install dozens of chargers per week.
I’m a huge fan of the integrated EV/solar inverter charger we install myself

Last edited:

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
After a few months with the Grizzl-E Smart charger and initial charging issues.... I'm starting to suspect the charger actively requires a connection to a wifi router or acharge.ca network. Charger works fine for weeks at a time and if I happen to restart my wifi router for whatever reason, the next time I try charging the Jeep, the Grizzl-E won't start charging. Unplugging charger from outlet allows for system to reboot and then it works again.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
After a few months with the Grizzl-E Smart charger and initial charging issues.... I'm starting to suspect the charger actively requires a connection to a wifi router or acharge.ca network. Charger works fine for weeks at a time and if I happen to restart my wifi router for whatever reason, the next time I try charging the Jeep, the Grizzl-E won't start charging. Unplugging charger from outlet allows for system to reboot and then it works again.
Thanks ipizza, I'll try that next time and I'll report back.

Sponsored

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks ipizza, I'll try that next time and I'll report back.
Grizzl-E support got back to me and did mention indeed there was a gitch with their smart charger not charging due to wifi connectivity. Updating to latest (5.43) has fixed this issue and also sped up the intitial charging/pairing process.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
This makes sense -- the EVSE probably requires charge authorization from the CSMS (acharger.ca), and if it loses the connection it can't get the authorization. Of course, it would be nice to have a "fail open" option for home use and a long-lived, exponential backoff reconnection behavior (because OCPP seems to be done over a persistent WebSocket?).

It's clearly 1.0 software for them, so providing feedback/bug reports about this behavior to Grizzl-E might help them prioritize fixing things like this for future releases.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Grizzl-E support got back to me and did mention indeed there was a gitch with their smart charger not charging due to wifi connectivity. Updating to latest (5.43) has fixed this issue and also sped up the intitial charging/pairing process.
Thanks ipizza - I just updated my firmware - GREAT!

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Any thoughts on the best charger looking beyond the 4xe to a full electric vehicle ? Something that can charge at 16 amps today but crank up in the future ?

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
super late into this discussion but we install dozens of chargers per week.
I’m a huge fan of the integrated EV/solar inverter charger we install myself
Do y'all do anything in Idaho?

Sponsored

ace11_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4Xe
I have a cable 6/3 Romex SIMpull CU NM-B W/G Wire already ran from basement electrical panel to Garage. All I need for electrician to install an outlet and connect to electrical panel.

Reading from the forum, 14-50 needs to have an extra ground wire to be added ( extra installation). Not sure if I'd need to run an extra wire from Garage to Basement or existing wire suffice.

Wondering if I should go 6-50 setup instead of 14-50 to avoid extra costs of installation. Planning to buy Grizzl-E level 2 charger.

Any suggestions?

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
I am getting a Bosch Power Max 2 installed tomorrow. I also have an AV that I got just in case I decided to have one hardwired. Both chargers we have used for years of hard use at the dealership, never had to replace one. We have AV ones from 2011 when the Nissan Leaf first came out and they are still working like new. Only draw back, its Chevy branded, so I have to buy a decal to cover that up.

They don't have apps or widgets to track, just bare bones plug and charge, which is exactly what I wanted.

jcompton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe 20th Anniversary Edition
I've recently installed the basic Grizzl-e, sans Wi-Fi. It works well and, of course, does not require firmware updates. I've have used the SiriusXM Uconnect app to monitor remotely, with limited success. That app is not reliable.

Grizzl-e photo.jpg

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Agreed- the Uconnect app is crap.
For me it only updates when requested about a third of the time. Location is equally useless.
Sponsored