Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I don't think you have EVER seen a Sahara sell from a dealership at a price point of $60k, not even close, that was his point. Just because they may price it that high doesn't mean it is justified or won't price them out of their target market.
Never mind.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So true, plus the diesel won't be offered with a manual. :o(

There will be a big decision to make when the time comes. $4k for an engine option, or $4k in other functional accessories? Winch, bumpers, leather, LED package...

Diesel Sport S, or 3.6 manual Rubi? Hmmmm...
I know you think I’m anti-diesel (which I’m not), but let me help you with this...

You can’t add a diesel after you buy your non-diesel JL(U) for anywhere near the same price, but you can always add those Winches and LED and Katzkin leather afterwards for about the same (25-50% premium) asit woulda cost you as a build sheet option. Remember you won’t just be able to drop in an EcoDiesel donor after the fact easily, you’ll not have the transmission to do it. Heck I want a Pentastar (really a Hemi) with that transmission, but neither is likely to ever happen.

Of the the choices, if you can benefit from diesel, then get it, it’s the hardest to alter afterwards, and the one single thing you’ll regret the most if you don’t get it IMO.

I know if they only offered a Hemi in the Sport S with no option to Upgrade, I would buy that and then add the rest.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Is this the same turbo engine?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I know you think I’m anti-diesel (which I’m not), but let me help you with this...

You can’t add a diesel after you buy your non-diesel JL(U) for anywhere near the same price, but you can always add those Winches and LED and Katzkin leather afterwards for about the same (25-50% premium) asit woulda cost you as a build sheet option. Remember you won’t just be able to drop in an EcoDiesel donor after the fact easily, you’ll not have the transmission to do it. Heck I want a Pentastar (really a Hemi) with that transmission, but neither is likely to ever happen.

Of the the choices, if you can benefit from diesel, then get it, it’s the hardest to alter afterwards, and the one single thing you’ll regret the most if you don’t get it IMO.

I know if they only offered a Hemi in the Sport S with no option to Upgrade, I would buy that and then add the rest.
This argument (rationalization) seems so odd coming from you Ape. But thanks!

Edit; I'm hoping we will be offered a JL or JT diesel in a lower model like the Willys. Yes, I want the Rubi with an oil burner, but can't swing $50k+.

Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
That engine looks quick for a jeep, and in future I read a tune could add at least 75 hp

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Apparently you guys aren't paying attention. Ford Raptors are selling like hotcakes. Ford, Ram, and GM are all pushing closer to $70,000 with their fully loaded pickups, and they are selling ALL of them. Cars like Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger which were under $30K 15 years ago now all have variants that are getting closer to $75K today...and they're selling ALL of them.

It is NUTS what people are willing to do to get the vehicle they want, and Jeep is about to capitalize on that stupidity with the JL Wrangler. Want the Hurricane engine? Tack on another couple thousand. Automatic trans? Another couple thousand. Power top? Another couple thousand. Diesel? Four more grand, please. This Wrangler is going to be insane with it's MSRP numbers. The sky is the limit. And yes, stupid people will pay it.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
So many say they'll buy the diesel in the poll, but wait till they see the price tag. There's a dark cloud hovering over that parade.
I expect the price to be between $51/53k and possibly less.

And who will choose the manual engine will contribute at a lower cost, because these systems in the picture below are not found on this engine

Jeep Wrangler JL Which JL engine are you most interested in? {filename}

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
If they get too crazy with the price I will just build the ultimate JK. People are throwing out numbers like 60k, and I can build a beast of a JK for less than that.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I forgot to add $2500
And the forecast is 54/56 at the latest.

This is with regard to the diesel engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Price isn't a concern for me so much as how reliable the manual transmission is. As I've mentioned ad nauseum, I absolutely miss driving a stick, but I hate the stick in the JK. All it's gonna take is one good test drive to make me forget the diesel if the new 6-speed feels right. And dammit, the more I see that 2-door red Rubicon with the tan seats they've been showing on all their press outings, the more I want THAT one. My last TJ was a red Rubicon and other than welded rock rails and a tiny spacer lift to even it out, that thing was perfection. It took me everywhere I wanted to go without hesitation.

I love my current Unlimited and I basically want the JL version of my JK in terms of features, but that red 2-door reminds me of my TJ. Of all the Jeeps I've owned, it was my favorite. There are times I regret getting rid of it. And as much as I wish they could've squeezed more out of the Pentastar, it's still a great engine that I'd be happy to settle with if it means having an awesome manual gearbox.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Spank, I am basically in the same boat as you. Have a JKU auto so wife can drive with the intent my 15 year old takes it over. I miss my manual YJ. And only 2 doors. Had a manual JK. Lasted less than 6 months. That manual is horrible. I am hoping for a good green color and if the manual is improved and fun to drive, I will jump.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I shot this poll 3 days ago and it is interesting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which JL engine are you most interested in? {filename}

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to add $2500
And the forecast is 54/56 at the latest.

This is with regard to the diesel engine.
I hope you are right. That would mean my Jeep could potentially, after the 1% below invoice, arrive under $50k. I'm not betting on it, since.
Spank, I am basically in the same boat as you. Have a JKU auto so wife can drive with the intent my 15 year old takes it over. I miss my manual YJ. And only 2 doors. Had a manual JK. Lasted less than 6 months. That manual is horrible. I am hoping for a good green color and if the manual is improved and fun to drive, I will jump.
My daughter is about to start driving, too. She's going to learn on the manual JKU and will drive it more often than our other vehicles. I like that it requires focus and lessens the desire to drive while messing with the cell phone. I want her hands full and her mind focused. My wife actually prefers the manual. When I was once thinking diesel, she was ok with it until I told her it would likely be an automatic. She dismissed it right then. Lol! She loves driving the JKU around whenever she gets a chance.

TsundereKaho

First Name
Kaho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 YJ, 12 JK Rubicon
I'd go for the diesel but I doubt I could wait that long. If they add a lot of EGR/DEF emissions control stuff I wouldn't bother though.

They've already improved the crawl ratio on the Rubicon so I'd be happy with the 295 torque from the hurricane engine and the auto. The ZF 8 speed trans is nice.
Sponsored