Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Jeep family, I've been getting more and more paranoid about these relay thefts (steal your fob signal) and now according to this forum they can open your hood, exchange your ECM and start your Jeep with their own fob? I was away this past weekend and at least 5 times I was hoping no one was under the hood of the Jeep while in a parking garage. I have Faraday bags for the fob and they work well. Yes I have insurance but I want to keep my Jeep. Ok now the question.....
I was researching hood locks. It seems there's Mopar and the Bolt hood lock. I wanted to stay genuine and go Mopar but in their picture there's no little cover for the lock. I'd imagine the lock could get covered with mud, snow, bugs etc. The Bolt lock has the cover and I like that you can set your key to open. Which is better?
Thank you all in advance my friends.
Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Last thing I needed was ANOTHER key to carry...

Bolt all the way.

When I take to dealer or shop - they have no issue opening it if I just give them my FOB since it's coded to it. Makes things easier. For me.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
I installed the Mopar hood lock that is keyed to the door key. It has a cover over the lock.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Hood Lock? PXL_20210227_195239876

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I purchased the Bolt hood lock. At the time, I wasn't aware there was an OEM option.

Anyway, I've no complaints regarding the Bolt lock. It fits and works well.

N.B.: If you DIY the installation, you'll need a rivet gun capable of handling the included 1/4" steel rivets.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Bolt

Sponsored

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
I purchased the Bolt hood lock. At the time, I wasn't aware there was an OEM option.

Anyway, I've no complaints regarding the Bolt lock. It fits and works well.

N.B.: If you DIY the installation, you'll need a rivet gun capable of handling the included 1/4" steel rivets.
You will need the same rivet gun for the OEM one as well. I wasn't aware of that and had ordered one from Amazon that was too small. Wound up doing a last minute run to Harbor Freight.

Zistrum

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Picked up 5/10/21
The only problem I see with the Bolt & Mopar hood locks are if you have the trail camera which is in the same spot those locks go(I think?).....

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I seem to be in the minority here but I opted for the Rampage locking hood latches. Even someone like me who is far from handy installed it in 30-40 minutes. The key is pretty small, like a mailbox key, so I didn’t care about adding it.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Bolt is what I installed also ..first week
:like:

Steven Yates

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon
Mopar hood lock all the way the fit and finish are excellent plus the added bonus of just one key to keep up with was important to me and also the installation was a breeze I wish the hood lock was standard equipment and just my 2 cents get the keyed gas cap as well for total protection

Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I went with the Bolt hood lock. The big advantage with the Bolt Lock is you can remove the key in the unlocked position. Big advantage when leaving it for service. Mopar lock does not allow for key removal in the unlocked position.

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
I have Mopar, installed by myself. Matching the lock with key was a fun project (I did the locking gas cap, and hood lock has more parts to deal with). Check a video posted by Quadratec.

You cannot remove key when unlocked, but you can actually close the hood in locked position and latch it. Pushing the hood down would not lock it, so service person would just have to unlatch to open the hood.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I have a mopar lock in a box in my garage because I installed my winch first which pretty much locks in the grill panel and I'm having a hard time getting the motivation to mess with it.
Sponsored