Sponsored

Which has the smoothest ride Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon?

travman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Shopping for a new ride and the wife and I decided to rent a Sahara from Hertz in Atlanta for a couple of days. This was my first time driving a jeep - somehow I missed out when I was in the Marine Corps. Anyways, I was surprised at how smooth and quiet it drove on the highway. Went up in the North Georgia mountains and drove around some paved switchbacks (before we took it off road) and it handled great. Had more than enough power. Had a blast on the trails. So the question I have is do the Sport and Rubicon models all have that smooth ride like the Sahara? Same power too? My rental agreement didn't have the VIN on it so I was wondering if someone might know the if the Hertz Sahara rentals have the 3.6 or 2.0.
Sponsored

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
I have had both a Sport-S and Rubicon. The sport was definitly smoother on the road, but the Rubicon is a lot smoother off road. I imagine the Sahara is simular to the sport.

You can get the same engines in all the different trim. Not sure what the rentals have.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Shopping for a new ride and the wife and I decided to rent a Sahara from Hertz in Atlanta for a couple of days. This was my first time driving a jeep - somehow I missed out when I was in the Marine Corps. Anyways, I was surprised at how smooth and quiet it drove on the highway. Went up in the North Georgia mountains and drove around some paved switchbacks (before we took it off road) and it handled great. Had more than enough power. Had a blast on the trails. So the question I have is do the Sport and Rubicon models all have that smooth ride like the Sahara? Same power too? My rental agreement didn't have the VIN on it so I was wondering if someone might know the if the Hertz Sahara rentals have the 3.6 or 2.0.

Pop the hood and check. In general though if it sounds like a blender it’s the 2.0 and if it sounds throaty and refined when you step on it it’s the 3.6. The 2.0 is noticeably a bit torquier at the right RPM but I ultimately found the 3.6 to be a better fit. Still quick, but with a much more authoritative and fitting sound IMO. The 2.0 cooling fan was constantly revving up and down a few seconds after I’d hit the gas. It’s a give and take. Make sure you drive both and see which you like best since there are definitely people who prefer the 2.0.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
many will answer, most have far more knowledge than i.
the rubicon, i believe, has shocks that are a little stiffer.
the sahara and rubicon will have larger brakes than the sport S if you consider braking part of a smooth ride.
many have had bad steering issues but i'm hoping that's been taken care of by now.
i'm sure you'll have fun with whatever you choose.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Pop the hood and check. In general though if it sounds like a blender it’s the 2.0 and if it sounds throaty and refined when you step on it it’s the 3.6.
My 3.6 sounds like 6 sewing machines chugging away under the hood.

I find that I feel more bumps in my Rubicon than I did in my old JK Sahara. However, the bumps aren't as big and I feel like it can take turns with a lot less body lean. That might partially have to do with the really wide KO2s the Rubicon has.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I have ‘20 Sahara with 2.0.

Prior to first mods (35” Tires and Mopar 2” lift) I drove it for about a week on multiple types of road surfaces. Just shy of 500 miles.

I also had test driven a dozen or so JLs prior to ordering mine.

those test drives included a variation of Sport, Sahara and Rubicon as well as differences of 2.0 v 3.6. Also had the opportunity to drive option with 35s and 2” Mopar lift. I did this because it was my planned direction.

As one mentioned above the Rub is stiffer than the Sport or Sahara. I would add that this is in a stock condition.

I found the stock Sahara to ride a little smoother than the Sport. For me though I knew that this was not a purchasing point because I was going to add 35s and 2” lift.

After mod my Sahara has a more rigid ride but still handles VERY WELL on the open road. So far I am not experiencing steering issues. I’m about 1.5 month in for ownership and have already logged just shy of 5,000 miles. We have been all over the mid-west and also to Eastern Tennessee mountains and Southern Ontario Canada.

Good luck!!!!! This vehicle is like none other!!!! I have always enjoyed driving but, it’s been a long time since I have had fun doing it!!!!!!
F895386A-3014-4A0C-815A-085C1D92A023.jpeg

77EFA7BF-8A7A-4805-95AF-982BFB57AB5B.jpeg

C79D4C37-6E69-4394-A20F-AA610F744249.jpeg

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I haven't driven the Sport or Sahara and though this is probably worthless information, the JLUR handles bumps softer and more comfortably than my '10 4Runner Trail. The Rubi rides very comfortably on the road.

Edit: I am still in the habit of typing JKUR instead of JLUR. :swear:

Deleted member 35398

No doubt the 2.0 sounds like a sewing machine, but it's quick and drives well. I don't mind it. Mine rode well until I put on the Falcon shocks, now it rides like a dump truck.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Tires are going to make a difference in on-road smoothness so stock a Sahara and Sport are going to be smoother on-road than a Rubi
True. The Sahara with Bridgestone Dueler H/T 's is about as smooth as a Wrangler is gonna get !

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'd have to say that in stock condition/tires/suspension---

The SPORT rides hiwy smoother, the RUBICON rides off-road better/w front SWAYBAR DISCONNECTED--

Since the SAHARA uses RUBICON (TYPE) shocks it makes the SAHARA a little more positive on the hiwy and not quite as smooth/forgiving as the SPORT-

In all three models, if you leave the DEALER PROVIDED tire air pressure, your never going to find the smooth drive(hiwy) !

W.E.

JIMBO

2k6_tx_Dad

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR 6sp
Rentals probably have the 3.6 since the 2.0 "requires" the higher octane fuel - would that make sense?
- Short reply - There are rental 2.0 JLU's

- Longer reply - I noticed your requires is in quotes, I had rented a 2.0 (out of Boston) and didn't know there was an octane "requirement" (The manual says 87 will provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance) Don't know what was in the tank when I picked it up, it went back with a tank of 87. I thought performance was great, and might have chosen the 2.0 (or 3.0) when ordering, if they were available with a manual transmission.

Last edited:

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
I rented a Sahara Wrangler from Hertz as well in Florida and it was the 2.0L. I was super impressed by the power and thought it was the 3.6L at first until I popped the hood and took a look (never driven a 3.6L). After that I started keeping my ears open for the turbo noise and it's very subtle. I drove it like a stole it all weekend and even hit triple digit speeds like it was nothing. Unless you have a specific need for a 3.6L I would get the 2.0L for sure and ad a tune for even more power. Going back to my 09 3.8 was a major disappointment, but now the wife saw how nice the JL is and we're now holding out for the JL Diesel. Before we were in the market for a BMW/Benz and were going to keep the JK, but now we're going JL all the way.
Sponsored