Sponsored

Which has the smoothest ride Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Todd, the AS tires will be the quietest and most comfortable tires on the road, so if that's a big priority then you may want to consider them instead of the AT set. You will also get better mpg and tread life, they also tend to perform better in the rain.

Downside is they don't have the more rugged look and will perform worse in more adverse conditions such as mud, snow, and rock duty, but if that's not something you'll be dealing with very often than only you can make that call.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Ok so the sahara I rented had 255/70R18 Allā€“Season Tires. That makes sense why it was so quiet/smooth on the highway. Do the Allā€“Terrain Tires make that much more noise? The whole time I'm thinking the smooth ride of the rental drove like an SUV because of the sahara's heavy duty shocks. I'm laughing at myself. The sahara Ive been looking at has the 255/70SR18.0 all terrains. Should I ask them to swap them out for the all-season? I'm going very little off road. Id hate to give away a more expensive tire. Had considered dropping down to the sport but the wife like the larger screen and Alpine Premium Audio System.
We have 2 Saharas . One has the Bridgestone Dueler H/T ( all season ) and one has the Bridgestone Dueler A/T. The one with the all seasons is quieter by just a speck and gets gets better gas mileage . Maybe a mile more per gallon. The A/T 's are very smooth and quiet however, and I can use them through the winter. I have to put snow tires on the other jeep. The all seasons dont look like they can handle snow. Tire Rack has them priced similarly. Just noticed you live in LA. Get the all season. You will be pleased with the ride.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I use 87 octane in my 2.0 Turbo, no issues and getting 22+mpg

ENGINE: 3.6-LITER PENTASTAR V-6

• Available: Standard on all models
  • Type: 60-degree, V-type, liquid-cooled
  • Displacement (cu. in. / cc): 220 cu. in. (3,604 cu. cm)
  • Bore x Stroke: 3.78 x 3.27 (96 x 83)
  • Valve System: Chain-driven DOHC, 24 valves and hydraulic end-pivot roller rockers
  • Fuel Injection: Sequential, multiport, electronic, returnless
  • Construction: Aluminum deep-skirt block, aluminum alloy heads
  • Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
  • Power (SAE net) (hp / kW @ rpm): 285 hp (209 kW) at 6,400 rpm
  • Torque (SAE net) (lb.-ft. / Nā€¢m): 260 lb.-ft. (353 Nā€¢m) at 4,800 rpm
  • Max. Engine Speed (rpm): 6,600 rpm (electronically limited)
  • Fuel Requirement: Unleaded regular, 87 octane (R + M)/2
  • Fuel Tank Capacity (gallons): 18.5 (2-door), 21.5 (4-door)
  • Oil Capacity: 5.0 quarts (4.7 liters)
  • Coolant Capacity: 10 quarts (10.1 liters)
  • Emission Controls: Dual three-way catalytic converters, heated oxygen sensors and internal engine features
  • Max. Gross Trailer Weight: 2,000 lbs. (2-door), 3,500 lbs. (4-door)
  • EPA Fuel Economy mpg (city/hwy/combined): 18/23/20 (automatic); 17/23/19 (manual)
  • Assembly Plant: Saltillo South Engine Plant, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico

ENGINE: 2.0-LITER TURBO I-4

• Availability: Optional ā€” all models
  • Type: I-4 16-valve with direct injection, turbo charging, with throttled, cooled EGR
  • Displacement (cu. in. / cc): 121 cu. in. (1995 cu. cm)
  • Bore x Stroke: 3.31 x 3.54 (84 x 90)
  • Valve System: Chain-driven DOHC, 16 valves
  • Fuel Injection: Direct Injection
  • Construction: Aluminum block, aluminum alloy heads
  • Compression Ratio: 10:01
  • Power (SAE net) (hp / kW @ rpm): 270 hp (200 kW) at 5,250 rpm
  • Torque (SAE net) (lb.-ft. / Nā€¢m): 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nā€¢m) at 3,000 rpm
  • Max. Engine Speed (rpm): 5,800 rpm (electronically limited)
  • Fuel Requirement: Minimum unleaded regular, 87 octane (R + M)/2, 91 octane or higher recommended for optimum fuel economy and performance
  • Fuel Tank Capacity (gallons): 18.5 (2-door), 21.5 (4-door)
  • Oil Capacity: 5 quarts (4.7 liters)
  • Coolant Capacity: 9.9 quarts (9.4 liters)
  • Emission Controls: GPEC4 engine-management system with close-coupled catalyst; and wide range O2 sensor
  • Max. Gross Trailer Weight: 2,000 lbs. (2-door), 3,500 lbs. (4-door)
  • EPA Fuel Economy mpg (city/hwy/combined): TBD ā€” automatic (2-door); TBD ā€” automatic (4-door)
  • Assembly Plant: Termoli, Italy and Trenton South Engine Plant, Trenton, Mich.
Jesus......I got it......Again.....seems I was wrong. (btw - I think that one highlighted bullet point would have sufficed)

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Jesus......I got it......Again.....seems I was wrong. (btw - I think that one highlighted bullet point would have sufficed)

I was more putting that out there for anyone else trying to find the information on the required octane level, sorry, wasn't jumping on you... I'm new to the Jeep world and figure it's better to post more information than less for others that are searching as I have been.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I was more putting that out there for anyone else trying to find the information on the required octane level, sorry, wasn't jumping on you... I'm new to the Jeep world and figure it's better to post more information than less for others that are searching as I have been.
Thanks! No worries - I just hate being wrong and it happens ALL the time.... :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Actually I thought it was more like a lawnmower. Until this came along... lawnmower sound gone.

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG
Looks awesome! Any chance of a sound clip? Also, is the touring climber much louder than the touring axle back? Thanks

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome! Any chance of a sound clip? Also, is the touring climber much louder than the touring axle back? Thanks
Borla is working on the sound clips, but probably won't be up for a couple of weeks.

I haven't driven it with the Touring axle back (even though my jeep did model the chrome axle backs for their website). But I imagine they would sound similar.

I did get to drive it for a couple of days with the S-Type so I have I got to hear each. The S-Type is very sporty sounding, but a bit too intrusive for my preference. The Touring (to me) is the perfect balance between sporty and well mannered. You can hear a mild growl as it revs up through the gears, but is very quiet at cruising and barely noticeable at idle.

The 2.0 has never been a great sounding engine, and it's hard to make any 4-cyl engine sound great, but I really like the touring version.

Here she is with the axle back (wish I could've driven it for reference):

2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6158.jpg
2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6161.jpg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Borla is working on the sound clips, but probably won't be up for a couple of weeks.

I haven't driven it with the Touring axle back (even though my jeep did model the chrome axle backs for their website). But I imagine they would sound similar.

I did get to drive it for a couple of days with the S-Type so I have I got to hear each. The S-Type is very sporty sounding, but a bit too intrusive for my preference. The Touring (to me) is the perfect balance between sporty and well mannered. You can hear a mild growl as it revs up through the gears, but is very quiet at cruising and barely noticeable at idle.

The 2.0 has never been a great sounding engine, and it's hard to make any 4-cyl engine sound great, but I really like the touring version.

Here she is with the axle back (wish I could've driven it for reference):

2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6158.jpg
2019 Jeep JLU 2.0T - 10-15-2019_6161.jpg
Thanks for the response. I'll definitely be keeping an ear out for their clips. I share the same preference for sound and volume as you. I narrowed down to the touring cat back, but it seems to worsen ground clearance compared to stock. The new touring climber definitely makes ground clearance a non issue, but because it's more straight through design, I had feared it would end up as loud as the s-type. Its sounding like that's not the case, thanks to your insight.

Cheers and congrats on the new system!

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
LOL

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. I'll definitely be keeping an ear out for their clips. I share the same preference for sound and volume as you. I narrowed down to the touring cat back, but it seems to worsen ground clearance compared to stock. The new touring climber definitely makes ground clearance a non issue, but because it's more straight through design, I had feared it would end up as loud as the s-type. Its sounding like that's not the case, thanks to your insight.

Cheers and congrats on the new system!
There is a definite difference between the S-Type and Touring. Difficult to quantify but seems to me the Touring is a happy midway point between stock and the S. The only (very minor) annoyance comes at cold start at high idle... it's slightly drone-ish but that mellows out completely once you start driving or it drops down to normal idle. But really easy to live with on a daily commuter vehicle.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I just purchased Rubi take off shocks and springs for my Sahara... are you saying they use the same shocks?
I don't know if they are standard issue, but my '18 SAHARA, build sheet shows the addition of GAS SHOCKS--

I'm assuming that they are the same shocks as those used on the RUBICON--

Look at your build sheet for HEAVY DUTY SUSPENSION--GAS SHOCKS !

Good luck

JIMBO
Sponsored