Sponsored

Which has the smoothest ride Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon?

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Shopping for a new ride and the wife and I decided to rent a Sahara from Hertz in Atlanta for a couple of days. This was my first time driving a jeep - somehow I missed out when I was in the Marine Corps. Anyways, I was surprised at how smooth and quiet it drove on the highway. Went up in the North Georgia mountains and drove around some paved switchbacks (before we took it off road) and it handled great. Had more than enough power. Had a blast on the trails. So the question I have is do the Sport and Rubicon models all have that smooth ride like the Sahara? Same power too? My rental agreement didn't have the VIN on it so I was wondering if someone might know the if the Hertz Sahara rentals have the 3.6 or 2.0.
Just got back from a 3796 mile ride from mid Tenn to Colorado then over to Moab and back in MY 18 JLU Sahara Ride was great did 800 miles off road performed great. No wobble and averaged 24.5mpg from V6. Have Falken WildPeak AT3W stock sized 32" tires. YouTube Hagerman Pass Colorado
Sponsored

Pattyolc

First Name
Patty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU Granite Crystal
I haven't driven the Sport or Sahara and though this is probably worthless information, the JLUR handles bumps softer and more comfortably than my '10 4Runner Trail. The Rubi rides very comfortably on the road.

Edit: I am still in the habit of typing JKUR instead of JLUR. :swear:
Truth.. agree totally

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so the sahara I rented had 255/70R18 All–Season Tires. That makes sense why it was so quiet/smooth on the highway. Do the All–Terrain Tires make that much more noise? The whole time I'm thinking the smooth ride of the rental drove like an SUV because of the sahara's heavy duty shocks. I'm laughing at myself. The sahara Ive been looking at has the 255/70SR18.0 all terrains. Should I ask them to swap them out for the all-season? I'm going very little off road. Id hate to give away a more expensive tire. Had considered dropping down to the sport but the wife like the larger screen and Alpine Premium Audio System.
Put Falken AT3W WildPeak stock size tires on your Sahara. Rides the same better traction. Just got back from Moab 3700 mile round trip. Rides fine no noise no issues.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
sounds good, we are up close to the Bristol area.
Dude, I'm moving to the tricities next September! I hear it's quite a lovely place to call home. Hoping to do a Windrock trip fairly soon after we get there.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, I'm moving to the tricities next September! I hear it's quite a lovely place to call home. Hoping to do a Windrock trip fairly soon after we get there.
been here 17 years now, love it here!! where is Windrock?

Sponsored

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
Stock definitely the Sahara.
totally agree. Jeep works hard on suspension for targeted use of Sahara and Rubicon as well as wheel/tire packages. The optional gray tech 18” wheels with Goodyear AT Adventure with Kevlar were the smoothest AT tire combo I found on highway.

In addition to suspension upgrades on both Sahara & Rubicon, I believe they both get brake upgrades as well. As others state, Jeep highway ride in a JL Sahara is about as good as you can get. I’m a road (vs trail) warrior, and JL Sahara was my choice. As much as I love the Rubi looks, stance (and steel bumpers), I have zero regrets. May still add those rubi steel bumpers sometime

Last edited:

harryz

First Name
harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
Rentals probably have the 3.6 since the 2.0 "requires" the higher octane fuel - would that make sense?
I rented the Sport S last week..it had the 2.0..loved the handling and ride..it had the 17" michelin tires...However, i found the driver seat to be uncomfortable..

I'm now renting the Sahara and it has the 3.6....Seat is much better, although i prefer the ride and handling of the Sport S.. Both are 2021 models
Sponsored