Sponsored

Which hard top removal device would you recommend?

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Pretty old thread but I went with the Top-Lift Pro. Spent more money but I can remove the top by myself and store it. Maybe you haven't made your mind up.

20210505_210118.jpg
Actually, I thought I had posted that I finally got the TopLiftPro (looked back, and I didn't ever post it). I decided since I plan to sell house in a couple of years that I didn't want to mount anything to the ceiling or wall.
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I thought I had posted that I finally got the TopLiftPro (looked back, and I didn't ever post it). I decided since I plan to sell house in a couple of years that I didn't want to mount anything to the ceiling or wall.
Cool. It is nice to have.

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
whats the verdict on this manual lift from quadratec? My rubi is on order and still have sticker shock. What’s the big difference with this and the top lift pro? It sounds crazy but don’t want to spend tons on a lift I may not use too often.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 1AF36DEF-DF72-40BC-B86A-BE36FA7E745C

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
whats the verdict on this manual lift from quadratec? My rubi is on order and still have sticker shock. What’s the big difference with this and the top lift pro? It sounds crazy but don’t want to spend tons on a lift I may not use too often.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 1AF36DEF-DF72-40BC-B86A-BE36FA7E745C
I do not know about the Lifts made on ceilings.

I went with the Top-Lift Pro. The RollnJack would not be in stock till late June. It's not as pricey as Top-Lift Pro. I did not want to risk Top falling from a Hoist made from the ceiling.
Remove and Store.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 1620596463578

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I do not know about the Lifts made on ceilings.

I went with the Top-Lift Pro. The RollnJack would not be in stock till late June. It's not as pricey as Top-Lift Pro. I did not want to risk Top falling from a Hoist made from the ceiling.
Remove and Store.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 1620596463578
Thanks. I don’t think I really have the room for something rolling around the garage. It does look crazy easy to use though.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I don’t think I really have the room for something rolling around the garage. It does look crazy easy to use though.
Just FYI. You can remove the top and move to the front of where you park the Jeep and pull the Jeep forward under the Top and park under the top on the lift. Even in a single-car garage.

Just something to think about.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I did not want a big contraption around when the top was going to stay on which is most of the time. I went with ceiling mount and if you have the space I highly recommend it. I got the Racor from Amazon on sale, added the Topsy brackets and couldn’t be happier. Works with a standard drill and can be done with one person. When not in use it is all tucked up in the ceiling and out of the way.

Big Bear

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK
Just FYI. You can remove the top and move to the front of where you park the Jeep and pull the Jeep forward under the Top and park under the top on the lift. Even in a single-car garage.

Even when the lift is not in use, you pull the Jeep up to it and it only adds a little to parking space needed.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I did a Racor Lift w/ Topsy brackets and cams. I LOVE it! I use the drill attachment to raise and lower. Only challenge is I couldn't move it forward any more so I'll have to have someone push to get it lined up when lowering but it was super easy to remove!

20210504_093257.jpg

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 20210504_093257
I built one similar to this and it uses a manual winch. Depending on your drill, you can use your drill on the winch instead of the hand crank. works well. If you're interested DM me and I can try and give you a description on how I did it. It's pretty simple set up.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

The Pro-lift is not big. It has locking wheels so it stays where you put it. If you have limited space then try hoist. I am fortunate to have a 3 car garage so it stays out of the way. My friend has a two-car garage and he drives under his top on the lift. My top will stay off most of the summer.
Good luck with your decision.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I went with:
  • Unistrut 1-5/8" channel/trolley hangers (x3)
  • Unistrut 1-5/8" x 5' channel
  • High quality (USA Bolt Maker) 5/16" x 3" SS lag bolts / washers (x a bunch)
  • 20K lb 10' x 2" straps (x2)
  • 5.5" HD carabiners (x2)
  • Partsam 220/440lb electric hoist

The hoist came with a set of straps, and I'm using one with a couple of 3" carabiners over the main bracket as a "safety" strap in case the hoist was to unwind/cable break.

I recently picked up a white extension cord, 3" open ended eyelets, and ran the power a little more neatly (the white cord hides pretty well against the roof).

This is great because not only does it easily lift, but can run it down to the ground for cleaning, etc.

The Large carabiners and straps run through the front corners out the rear window really hold it "square" (so it doesn't spin), and I'm using the hoist in double-cable config where it's spec'ed to the heavier (440lb) weight.

I can actually slide the hoist for positioning, but in the future I could add roller trolleys, another length of channel and actually move it totally out of the way to the rear of the garage landing area.

A couple of pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? IMG_7782

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? IMG_7788

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

1AF36DEF-DF72-40BC-B86A-BE36FA7E745C.jpeg
This looks like the Harken Hoist and I have it. It works great. I like that it is manual. I've had mine for years and used it on my JK. Once set up it is easy peasy to use. Getting the knots at the right positions and even is a bit finicky, but you only do that once on initial set up. It gets the roof very close to the ceiling. I'm very pleased with the Harken system

this is my JK, no pics of JL roof removal
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? FE33DDB4-F6D1-4105-9645-A8D85E1BCBAD

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 62417C30-C7E6-415D-AEFC-673074C52E76

Last edited:

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
I installed the Garage Smart lift last weekend, very easy install and super easy to use with your phone.

Jeep lift.jpg
I've been looking at the GarageSmart systems. Definitely looks like a solid system. I'm wondering though if I would be able to have it hold my RTT plus hardtop with Pioneer Platform lol. I use it mostly just to store the RTT but if I can use it for the hardtop too that's a bonus.

Looks like the Universal XL HD kit might do the trick but may need to add another lifter with that weight. Probably over 250lbs.

Pistol527

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara-JL
I've been looking at the GarageSmart systems. Definitely looks like a solid system. I'm wondering though if I would be able to have it hold my RTT plus hardtop with Pioneer Platform lol. I use it mostly just to store the RTT but if I can use it for the hardtop too that's a bonus.

Looks like the Universal XL HD kit might do the trick but may need to add another lifter with that weight. Probably over 250lbs.

I love the lift, super easy to use and install. You don't have to be straight on to get the top off or put back on. The cables give plenty of wiggle room.
Sponsored