Sponsored

Which hard top removal device would you recommend?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I have a manual hoist, the basics of which I used for years with my TJ and it's adapted for the JL now. I like it well enough. It works, it was cheap, it has been reliable. My only real complaint is that it's not fast. Not slow really but lining up the jeep and lowering the top then getting the hoist back up out of the way takes a bit of time. If I had money to blow and no other toys I wanted I could see myself buying a top lift pro. I see the advantages of it, but the amount of convenience it would get me for the price tag they want I can't justify it.
I used a hoist and pulleys for my TJ too years ago. My friend has the Top Lift Pro with the power attachment, I have to say I am jealous of it, its so simple to install and remove the top on a moments notice.
Sponsored

AlamoDawg

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I bought a Top Lift Pro and it was worth every penny. I take my top off in a matter of minutes by myself roll it into the garage and I’m done.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I got a set (4) Grab Handles that fasten to the hard top, and will make 2 person removal, or hoisting so much easier.
TeraFlex brand, from Quadratec. These will be good for the odd tie down for roof transport too

PXL_20210226_222254068_resized.jpg

Egralia

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
How have I missed this one?! Any negatives to this, or anything you don't like?

I've been researching this topic for awhile now and was leaning towards the Top Lift Pro, but this would definitely be a better fit for my tiny garage.
I love it. I can use it inside or outside and roll it into the garage. The only down fall is adjusting the straps. But everything is great. Haven’t had any problems.

Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I have the Lange hoist-a-cart and I love it. It’s pricey but worth it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? PXL_20210226_222254068_resized
I have heard nothing but bad things about this hoist/cart but I would really like this setup for my garage. Have you had any issues or problems and which version do you have?

Egralia

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have heard nothing but bad things about this hoist/cart but I would really like this setup for my garage. Have you had any issues or problems and which version do you have?
I have gen 2. It’s a nylon strap instead of cable. No problems. Easy to use. The only problem is getting it adjusted of the first time. Easy to move and adjust the height

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I used the Garage Smart Hard Top Lifter and it works great - see photo. The photo also shows the Garage Smart system configured to lift my Pioneer Platform Rack as well. Both can be lifted or reinstalled in minutes by one person.

DEN Jeep Hardtop Lift BiPh Jul 2020 009.jpg

Hard Rock Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR HR, 2022 JLUR 2.0, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I have this hoist. Bought in 2016. It works and I am glad I have it but...

The winch and cable were of poor quality. The cable was actually wound with a “birds nest” or backlash, which I had to dissemble and repair. Only two of the four casters swiveled meaning you could not maneuver in a tight garage. The company would not send me two swivel castors saying that it could maneuver in their factory. Duh. So I went to Harbor Freight and worked out my own solution. The straps that connect to the roof are hard to adjust as there is some stretching that throws it off until you get it “right”.

So, once that was done, it does work and as I said I am glad I have it but would be careful to make sure these items have been resolved before you buy one.

Sponsored

JanetsJLU

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I went the home brew route using 4 small straps and I made a spreader bar for the back using a 2x4 and 2 eye bolts.
I can manage it easily myself but my wife can’t tackle the job solo 🤘😜

DC8F569D-E0BA-4BFA-A0CC-CF1BBD26FB01.png

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the Garagesmart lift. I like it too because it has an area to store your freedom panels underneath the hardtop. I also use it to hold up other things when the top is not off.

IMG_9117.jpg

njhiker43

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport Altitude
How tall is the Lange Hoist at the top when folded like in this picture? Trying to figure out if it will fit under my garage door (old, single car garage and single car is probably overstating the 1940 garage!).

I have the Lange hoist-a-cart and I love it. It’s pricey but worth it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? IMG_9117

Egralia

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How tall is the Lange Hoist at the top when folded like in this picture? Trying to figure out if it will fit under my garage door (old, single car garage and single car is probably overstating the 1940 garage!).
Folded it’s at 80.5in. That’s all the way down. It has an adjustable mast for storage and vehicle height.
Sponsored