Sponsored

Which hard top removal device would you recommend?

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Hard top weighs about 140 lbs - heavy for one person to safely remove manually without assistance. If you're planning on taking it on and off that frequently, I think you'll be happiest with the Toplift Pro. Expensive but does a great job. Overhead hoists are great too but you have to line up the Jeep more carefully when taking it on and off & takes longer.
Your comment about "lining up the Jeep" is why I ended up going with the rollinjack over an above hoist as well. Love that I can just back the jeep into the garage, roll the rollinjack over to the jeep, pop the top, then roll it back to where I park my jeep. Because it you can roll in over the wheels, the rollinjack requires very little footprint.

20201014_130830.jpg

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
How do you like this setup, thinking of doing the same and then lowering to a hardtop cart and storing vertically. Can you show how your straps are arranged on the hardtop when you lift?
I have a 2 dr so top is only 90 pounds. I use two straps running from hoist hook through front and out the back with window up and then back up to hoist hook. I pull the rubber seal away from frame at rear window to not crush it (slip strap between seal and frame). Still playing with crisscross the straps (driver to passenger) or run straight passenger side and driver side. I will try to send a picture next time I hoist it.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Your comment about "lining up the Jeep" is why I ended up going with the rollinjack over an above hoist as well. Love that I can just back the jeep into the garage, roll the rollinjack over to the jeep, pop the top, then roll it back to where I park my jeep. Because it you can roll in over the wheels, the rollinjack requires very little footprint.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 20201014_130830
It looks like it’s touching your hood?

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I would be taking it off and putting it back on dependent on the weather in the spring, summer, and fall. I can see it being off for weeks at a time mid to late summer when we go without rain for long periods, but I can also see taking it off in the morning and putting it back on that night because we expect rain the next day.

Does anybody know how much a hard top from an Unlimited weighs?
JLU weighs 140lbs

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I did the Harbor Freight electric hoist mounted to roof of garage for my TJ. Worked great and not expensive. Haven't tried it yet on the JLU but I'm sure it'll work the same.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I'm currently running the Harken system and it works well. Pretty basic but includes most everything you need including a pulley block and locking system.

I had a home-made version with a come-along for a hoist and a wood frame for spreaders, but it was enough of a janky pain in the ass that I bought a real one.

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I bought the Topsy system, a Harbor freight hoist, aluminum square tubing, and an assortment of cable, pulleys, rollers and hardware. I'm planning on mounting the hoist in the attic above my garage and having the cables come down through the ceiling and connect to the aluminum frame. Once completed, I will back my Jeep in the garage, connect the frame to my top using the Topsy system and lift my top off my Jeep. I made the frame this weekend. Now, I just need to mount the hoist, pulleys, rollers, and run the cable. The only thing that you'll see, when the top isn't connected, is the frame sitting against the ceiling.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
It looks like it’s touching your hood?
Nope, probably 1-2" off. I could crank it up higher if I needed to though.

Sponsored

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
I have the Garage Smart electric hoist. I have a low garage ceiling, and, when I bought it, this seemed to get the top closest to the ceiling and also create storage for the freedom panels. Plus it had great reviews. I know it's a bit pricey, but you could use the forum discount at Quadratec to save a bit (10% I think).

https://www.quadratec.com/p/garage-smart/hardtop-lifter

Latitude

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Renegade Trailhawk/2021 JLU Willys ordered
I have the Lange hoist-a-cart and I love it. It’s pricey but worth it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 2058A2E1-A6B2-4C9C-B61C-5978DFCE21FA
How have I missed this one?! Any negatives to this, or anything you don't like?

I've been researching this topic for awhile now and was leaning towards the Top Lift Pro, but this would definitely be a better fit for my tiny garage.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I am trying to decide which hard top removal device to get. I realize the portable carts are more expensive than the overhead hoists, but I am more interested in any problems with each type. I would like to know from people who actually use them how they feel about the following:
1. Overhead mounted manual hoist in the garage.
2. Overhead mounted motorized hoist in the garage.
3. Portable carts such as TopLift Pro or RollnJack.
How often are you removing the hardtop? I do it once a year when switching to soft top, in that case, just grab a friend, its pretty simple.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have a manual hoist, the basics of which I used for years with my TJ and it's adapted for the JL now. I like it well enough. It works, it was cheap, it has been reliable. My only real complaint is that it's not fast. Not slow really but lining up the jeep and lowering the top then getting the hoist back up out of the way takes a bit of time. If I had money to blow and no other toys I wanted I could see myself buying a top lift pro. I see the advantages of it, but the amount of convenience it would get me for the price tag they want I can't justify it.
Sponsored