Sponsored

Which hard top removal device would you recommend?

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I am trying to decide which hard top removal device to get. I realize the portable carts are more expensive than the overhead hoists, but I am more interested in any problems with each type. I would like to know from people who actually use them how they feel about the following:
1. Overhead mounted manual hoist in the garage.
2. Overhead mounted motorized hoist in the garage.
3. Portable carts such as TopLift Pro or RollnJack.
Sponsored

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Chain hoist for me: You can see the eye bolt I sunk into the cross beam at the top. Hook it all up, fashion my rope harness around the top and lift up. Drive away. Let down. Cost about 50 bucks when I bought mine. I had the rope around the house already.

chainhoist.png

eyeandtop.jpg

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Toplift Pro if you're ok with spending about $900. You wheel it over and push the handle down, done. Then you just wheel it to where you want to store it. Mine is in the back of my garage and I park the jeep under it. Very simple.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Home Depot/Topsy solution! 4 ratchet straps, 4 eye bolts and 2 Topsy hinge hooks on the rear = $45 total.

Not as fast as the electric hoist, but when I take the top off it stays off for a while.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Last edited:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
If you are storing for whole summer and do not have enough vertical space to lift, consider a cart.

I made one exactly as DIY cart, similar to what you can but already made, but more heavy duty, large 3" casters for better mobility and fully carpeted with marine carpet.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-hardtop-and-door-holders.6933/#post-150473

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-Jeep-Wr...-/192548020227?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? Screenshot_20210301-213423_Google
Very nice solution!

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
How often are you taking it off? Are you only swapping it out once a year and going to a soft top, or do you only have a hard top and will be taking it off all the time?

i swap mine out in the spring, so a cheap manual solution was perfect for me. It was only $75 when I got it though. https://www.extremeterrain.com/black-canyon-jeep-wrangler-manual-hard-top-hoist-j132285-jl.html
I would be taking it off and putting it back on dependent on the weather in the spring, summer, and fall. I can see it being off for weeks at a time mid to late summer when we go without rain for long periods, but I can also see taking it off in the morning and putting it back on that night because we expect rain the next day.

Does anybody know how much a hard top from an Unlimited weighs?

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Two kayak hoists and a pair of 6 inch cleats. Cost less than $50 and works like a charm.
I've since replaced the nylon line and hooks with 550 paracord with toggles on the end. Slip the toggles through the bolt holes and hoist away. Once lifted, I run a ratchet strap under it for safety.
10 - 15 minutes on or off...
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 20200906_103620
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 20200906_103632

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I have set up an electric hoist in my barn to remove and store the hardtop up and out of the way.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 20200906_103632
How do you like this setup, thinking of doing the same and then lowering to a hardtop cart and storing vertically. Can you show how your straps are arranged on the hardtop when you lift?

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
I would be taking it off and putting it back on dependent on the weather in the spring, summer, and fall. I can see it being off for weeks at a time mid to late summer when we go without rain for long periods, but I can also see taking it off in the morning and putting it back on that night because we expect rain the next day.

Does anybody know how much a hard top from an Unlimited weighs?
Hard top weighs about 140 lbs - heavy for one person to safely remove manually without assistance. If you're planning on taking it on and off that frequently, I think you'll be happiest with the Toplift Pro. Expensive but does a great job. Overhead hoists are great too but you have to line up the Jeep more carefully when taking it on and off & takes longer.
Sponsored