Sponsored

Which features would you send back from the JL/JLU if you could?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
  1. Moving the parking lights off the grill, and onto the fenders. Basically, since 1941, the classic grill was seven slots, flanked by two headlights, and beneath those headlights, the smaller parking lights. Yea, the TJ was an unfortunately exception, but I would have thought Jeep's design team was talented enough to not repeat it. I guess not. :(
i know I'm repeating myself, but I couldn't agree more!

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Which currently known features, design decisions would you rather not see in the new JL/JLU?

Here's my main list...

1. Vents, vents and more vents. Glad that the Sahara/Overland doesn't have the hood vents but those mandatory side vents just look wrong. I like my Wrangler to look like the original Jeep it's meant to copy. They could have kept the vents inconspicuous without making the JL look like the sports car that it's not. And on that last note...

2. No news of a high performance/SRT option. It's a given that the next Land Rover Defender and Mercedes G-class both will have high performance versions and the new models will come to the market at the same time as the JL. Are we to rely on aftermarket superchargers to keep up? The high performance G class will always be a rare sight in the trails but the next Defender definitely will be there in the US trails after it gets airbags (it already is a player in the RHD markets in its current form) and I bet it'll be a common thing to hear Jeepers talking about how good the supercharged V8 in the LRs sound.

3. The auto sliding soft top should have been an auto convertible top like how several aftermarket companies have done.

4. Weight reduction isn't enough. JLU Rubicon is only 3% lighter than the JKU Rubicon. The 4 door Sport and Sahara are only 6% lighter. The next G class is rumored to have lost 15%. The Defender has always been a bit lighter and the next one might be even lighter, judging by the >15% weight loss in the new LR Discovery.

5. Likely no rear airbags in the JLU but I like to be proven wrong.

After all the nail-biting and the waiting, I'm starting to wonder what I've been waiting for because the JK to JL transition seems mostly like the 2011 to mid-life refresh 2012 model with the better engine, transmission and interior.

What do you not like about the new JL?
The neck-breakers that are used for head restraints.

The high front fenders that look mismatched relative to the rear fenders.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
  1. Moving the parking lights off the grill, and onto the fenders. Basically, since 1941, the classic grill was seven slots, flanked by two headlights, and beneath those headlights, the smaller parking lights. Yea, the TJ was an unfortunately exception, but I would have thought Jeep's design team was talented enough to not repeat it. I guess not. :(

2. The center stack LCD screen. It just doesn't look like it belongs there. Seems like someone simply bought a screen out of a Walmart bargain bin, and glued it onto the dash. What was Jeep rushed for time and they just threw anything together? :no:

3. Kind of related to the above, but this is an omission. The LCD screen should have a water/mud proof "garage door" that can be pulled down over the screen to protect it from any bad weather that might happen while the top is off. Possibly extend thought this to a "garage door" that not only covers/protects the LCD screen, but the entire center dash stack? There are certainly a lot more switches and knobs, comparing the JL to the JK. Maybe they all need to be protected from water and mud too? :rain:

4. Better front seat adjustments. Hay, even my old XJ, from the past century, had a 6-way passenger seat.

5. SelecTrac across the board. A full-time transfer case should be offered on all the models. And by SelecTrac, I mean simply a Command Trac or a Rock Trac, with the addition of a full time F/R differential. No computer control crap (if I wanted that, would buy a Grand Cherokee).

6. A water/mud/dust proof clock spring. Like I mentioned above, bad weather happens when the top is off/down.
On your #3, does the aftermarket make anything like this? I would love something like this, something that can be placed over the dash for that "just in case" scenario. I have had two head units ruined by flash downpours.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
For me, the biggest disappointments are the same ole same ole with the hardtop, completely agree there. They needed to make it something one person could remove. that seemed like a no brainer to me. Other than that, I am not a big fan of the side vents, especially if they are just for show, because to me they don't show that well. the apparent no half doors option moving forward would be something I would give back as well. I am leaning away from the style line as well. seems to fancy shmancy to me. I like it rough!

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I hear you, but I'm not sure how you make a top of this size removable by one person. Even if the rear side windows were removable, it would still be bulky/unwieldly. It's difficult to handle because it is physically large.
I think removable side windows would help, but likely not enough to make it a one-man operation. If the rear side windows were removable, I think a lot of people would remove the windows then leave the rest of the top in place. Too bad they didn't do this. :(

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Ugly non body color matching silver bumper trim on the Sahara

Jeep Mobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Had a 2014, 2016, and now a 2017 2dr Wrangler Sport S. Did not buy the 2018. Did not like the changes.
Here is what stopped us from buying the 2018 and now probably the 2019:

1. The review mirror is thin and cheap looking compared to the 2017 mirror.
2. The windshield is smaller and does not have the Jeep Logos on the top center and bottom corner.
3. Built in hand grips are ugly looking and useless, as well as block my vision. Not everyone is tall and being short puts the handles right in my view as well as being to short to grab them to get in. We always get our own hand grips which are cool looking and I can reach.
4. Key-less ignition is not for a Jeep. We prefer to turn the ignition on.
The key fob is huge and bulky. My friend has had one for 3 years for his Nissan and the key fob size is 1/4 the size of the Jeep key fob.
5. Start-Stop is why there is a key-less ignition. Start-Stop does not belong in a Jeep.
6. Heard that they have a very noisy fan.
7. Tail lights are ugly. Also, you cannot put tail light covers on them.
8. Location of rear license plate. Too low and looks ridiculous.

Options no longer available for Sport S that were available with the 2017:

1. Leather seats. Our 2014 & 2016 we had to get them after factory.
The 2017 had the option from the factory.
The 2018 does not have this option.
2. LED headlights. The 2017 had the option from the factory.
The 2018 does not have this option.

We found only 2 good things that were changed on the 2018:
1. The head rests on the back seat fold down. We always had to take them off
because if the seat was up, they blocked your vision. But, since we always
have the seat down to give us more room in the back, we still had to take them
off and store them until we trade our Jeep in. Real pain.
2. Removed that large ugly casing for the rear windshield wiper, which also blocked
your vision.

DD_Jeep

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2006 GTO, 1969 Firebird
We found only 2 good things that were changed on the 2018:
1. The head rests on the back seat fold down. We always had to take them off
because if the seat was up, they blocked your vision. But, since we always
have the seat down to give us more room in the back, we still had to take them
off and store them until we trade our Jeep in. Real pain.
You can easily mod the head rests on a JK to fold down.

tanyet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC
I haven't bought yet but I'd give back the high line mismatched fenders on the Rubicon and the mandatory red dash and stitching on the dark leather Rubicons.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Wish the thing had a power seat option, and how about a friggen lamp under the hood, guess since mercury switches have been outlawed, no one puts lighting under the hood anymore. It is nice during the winter to be able to see things when checking oil or adding washer fluid.
No power seat sucks, yes I know it is Wrangler but if your offering heated seats which could be exposed to the elements, a couple of motors on the seats to adjust them arent going to matter. Spending 40-50k without offering them is a failure.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I'm perplexed at the "sport bar" set up. In the past it was always covered with at least some cushion. Now the inside is just hard plastic. Which would I rather someones noggin bash up against? Ummm, I know, something padded. I get what the engineers were trying to accomplish - leave the outside exposed (equals more rugged looking I guess). But how to pad just 1/2 of the rest so they went with hard plastic.

On the topic of plastic...the bumpers of the Sports. Really? We need this huge plastic thing with those silly gap fillers between it and the fender? Thanks engineers...now we have to replace a part that should have come standard with a rugged Jeep...it's called STEEL.

Ok - that's all I have. Everything else I think they did an excellent job at.

Oh - and beware...the area between the wheel well and door of the very bottom front fenders has the potential to be rust heaven. Why? the other day I saw a full leaf sticking partially out the bottom of it (Water from the cowl drains there. But the cowl has that fancy mesh under the slots so how could this be you ask? I don't know yet. But that full leaf got in there somehow (leaf size was about 1" long and 1/2" wide and was dry and brittle).

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
The price.. they can take the price back. It's a Wrangler not a luxury SUV.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Ugh... NO "track" model Wrangler please!!!

A "track-focused" Wrangler would be just as idiotic as 36" Mud Terrain tires and a lift kit on a Corvette.

I think the cheesy plastic bumpers need to go and are totally out of character on the Wrangler. Even a cheap steel "C channel" TJ style front bumper would have been better and likely just as cheap.
Sponsored