Sponsored

Which features would you send back from the JL/JLU if you could?

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
  • Banned
Which currently known features, design decisions would you rather not see in the new JL/JLU?

Here's my main list...

1. Vents, vents and more vents. Glad that the Sahara/Overland doesn't have the hood vents but those mandatory side vents just look wrong. I like my Wrangler to look like the original Jeep it's meant to copy. They could have kept the vents inconspicuous without making the JL look like the sports car that it's not. And on that last note...

2. No news of a high performance/SRT option. It's a given that the next Land Rover Defender and Mercedes G-class both will have high performance versions and the new models will come to the market at the same time as the JL. Are we to rely on aftermarket superchargers to keep up? The high performance G class will always be a rare sight in the trails but the next Defender definitely will be there in the US trails after it gets airbags (it already is a player in the RHD markets in its current form) and I bet it'll be a common thing to hear Jeepers talking about how good the supercharged V8 in the LRs sound.

3. The auto sliding soft top should have been an auto convertible top like how several aftermarket companies have done.

4. Weight reduction isn't enough. JLU Rubicon is only 3% lighter than the JKU Rubicon. The 4 door Sport and Sahara are only 6% lighter. The next G class is rumored to have lost 15%. The Defender has always been a bit lighter and the next one might be even lighter, judging by the >15% weight loss in the new LR Discovery.

5. Likely no rear airbags in the JLU but I like to be proven wrong.

After all the nail-biting and the waiting, I'm starting to wonder what I've been waiting for because the JK to JL transition seems mostly like the 2011 to mid-life refresh 2012 model with the better engine, transmission and interior.

What do you not like about the new JL?
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I don't like how a JL diesel isn't available at launch. A v8 option would have been cool too. I'm sure I'll have more once I get behind the wheel.

That is all lol.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I would send Carpeted Interior back , cloth seats Ditto. I want a LineEx Interior, wipe off vinyl seats.
ESS, go home ! That new hydraulic/ electric power steering has a lot of sensors," for want of a Nail, the Shoe is Lost" dependance on Electronics worries me as the miles accrue.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
vinyl seats
Uggghhhhh!!!! No!!!!!!!!!!
My first YJ had vinyl seats. Vinyl seats, top down in summer = no way! Granted there may have been improvement in recent years, I don't know, but I will never again.
Just my opinion mind you.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
To each their own on that list. My 2017 F250 does have factory vinyl floors. They look good dirty and are easy to clean. It would be a nice option.

Vinyl seats..Had them in my 95 Wrangler. Sweaty back all summer long. Not great when you want to arrive somewhere looking halfway decent.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
2. No news of a high performance/SRT option. It's a given that the next Land Rover Defender and Mercedes G-class both will have high performance versions and the new models will come to the market at the same time as the JL.
Wait what? Is there some news of a new Defender model coming to market at the same time as the JL? I was not aware of this. Defender still seems a few years off in Tata's plans if that, and last I read it might have a unibody, which means it could be a Defender in name only anyway.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Which currently known features, design decisions would you rather not see in the new JL/JLU?
  1. Moving the parking lights off the grill, and onto the fenders. Basically, since 1941, the classic grill was seven slots, flanked by two headlights, and beneath those headlights, the smaller parking lights. Yea, the TJ was an unfortunately exception, but I would have thought Jeep's design team was talented enough to not repeat it. I guess not. :(

2. The center stack LCD screen. It just doesn't look like it belongs there. Seems like someone simply bought a screen out of a Walmart bargain bin, and glued it onto the dash. What was Jeep rushed for time and they just threw anything together? :no:

3. Kind of related to the above, but this is an omission. The LCD screen should have a water/mud proof "garage door" that can be pulled down over the screen to protect it from any bad weather that might happen while the top is off. Possibly extend thought this to a "garage door" that not only covers/protects the LCD screen, but the entire center dash stack? There are certainly a lot more switches and knobs, comparing the JL to the JK. Maybe they all need to be protected from water and mud too? :rain:

4. Better front seat adjustments. Hay, even my old XJ, from the past century, had a 6-way passenger seat.

5. SelecTrac across the board. A full-time transfer case should be offered on all the models. And by SelecTrac, I mean simply a Command Trac or a Rock Trac, with the addition of a full time F/R differential. No computer control crap (if I wanted that, would buy a Grand Cherokee).

6. A water/mud/dust proof clock spring. Like I mentioned above, bad weather happens when the top is off/down.

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
5 & 6 yes! The rest meh.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Hard Top can go back as its the same design as the JK. The JL gets a new softtop design that looks like it was intended for the hardtop, yet here we are still having to buy a lift to remove the hardtop.

I also agree with the lights in the fenders as I would prefer them to go back in the grill

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
These were my wishes:

- LED package option for Sport
- Vented hood for Sport
- Manual transmission with Hurricane engine
- True automatic convertible soft-top

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
  1. Moving the parking lights off the grill, and onto the fenders. Basically, since 1941, the classic grill was seven slots, flanked by two headlights, and beneath those headlights, the smaller parking lights. Yea, the TJ was an unfortunately exception, but I would have thought Jeep's design team was talented enough to not repeat it. I guess not. :(

2. The center stack LCD screen. It just doesn't look like it belongs there. Seems like someone simply bought a screen out of a Walmart bargain bin, and glued it onto the dash. What was Jeep rushed for time and they just threw anything together? :no:

3. Kind of related to the above, but this is an omission. The LCD screen should have a water/mud proof "garage door" that can be pulled down over the screen to protect it from any bad weather that might happen while the top is off. Possibly extend thought this to a "garage door" that not only covers/protects the LCD screen, but the entire center dash stack? There are certainly a lot more switches and knobs, comparing the JL to the JK. Maybe they all need to be protected from water and mud too? :rain:

4. Better front seat adjustments. Hay, even my old XJ, from the past century, had a 6-way passenger seat.

5. SelecTrac across the board. A full-time transfer case should be offered on all the models. And by SelecTrac, I mean simply a Command Trac or a Rock Trac, with the addition of a full time F/R differential. No computer control crap (if I wanted that, would buy a Grand Cherokee).

6. A water/mud/dust proof clock spring. Like I mentioned above, bad weather happens when the top is off/down.
Cant believe you didnt say getting rid of the 4 door! Jeeps were ALWAYS 2 doors until the JKU came along.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm with Vegas. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, they didn't make the hard top modular. Granted, you wouldn't be able to simply snap it apart and toss it in the back, but making it easy for a single person to take on and off would've been fantastic. As much as I dig the new soft top and the elimination of the sail panels, its biggest flaw is the lack of security.

OP
OP
Rockmaninoff

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Wait what? Is there some news of a new Defender model coming to market at the same time as the JL? I was not aware of this. Defender still seems a few years off in Tata's plans if that, and last I read it might have a unibody, which means it could be a Defender in name only anyway.
True but since the life cycle of the JL is likely 10 years or close, like it was for the JK, a year or two here and there is not as bad as it is with other vehicles. The Defender will likely have a soft top option as well. It might be a unibody but it won't be a Prius :) I'm sure they'll put the necessary reinforcements to make it a better offroader than the current Defender and while that might not meet the needs of even a single person in this forum, it will do the off roading that 99.5% of Wrangler owners do (plus it'll have a supercharged V8 version).
Sponsored