Sponsored

Which FAD skid plate are you running?

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Looking to purchase one, just trying to see which ones is the easiest install vs quality?
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Looking to purchase one, just trying to see which ones is the easiest install vs quality?

I have the Metalcloak and very happy with it. Tucks up high, tight and offers good protection. I had mine powder coated black-personally not a fan of the 'gold'...The other parts shown are Metalcloak's front diff cover and skid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which FAD skid plate are you running? Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 1.35.09 PM

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Metalcloak, incredibly strong and overbuilt. You have to relocate the steering stabilizer as part of the install, but I did that anyway.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
From time to time I look at my skid plates and sliders while checking suspension bolts and what not. Differential skids, axle tubes, LCA's, belly pan, exhaust loop skid, both bumpers and rocker guards all show multiple hits. Stock FAD skid is free of any marks.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have hit my fad skid several times, or at least that’s what the marks on it indicate.

I originally bought the MC one but it wouldn’t work with the Rock Hard LCA skids, so now I have the Rock Hard FAD skid.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Factory skid works for me.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my list:

Artec
Clayton
Evo
MetalCloak
Rock Hard
Rusty's

As MarkY3130 mentioned, it's known that the MC FAD plate doesn't work with Rock Hard's LCA skids, but Rock Hard's FAD skid does work with their LCA skids. I don't know about other combinations, would welcome others experience with compatibility.

Edited to add: FYI, I'm maintaining an updated list here if anyone would like contribute.

Last edited:

2019 JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have hit my fad skid several times, or at least that’s what the marks on it indicate.

I originally bought the MC one but it wouldn’t work with the Rock Hard LCA skids, so now I have the Rock Hard FAD skid.
I had the same problem with the Rock Hard LCA skid so I cut out just enough of the Metalcloak FAD skid to get at the nut for the control arm and a little of the Rock Hard skid for the FAD skid to clear. Very easy modification to make them both work together.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which FAD skid plate are you running? 20200909_184455

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Do you have any photos of the fitment of the RockHard LCA skids and FAD skid in relation to one another? I’ve got their LCA skids (they were a bear to get on for me) and it didn’t look as if any aftermarket FAD skid would fit easily.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any photos of the fitment of the RockHard LCA skids and FAD skid in relation to one another? I’ve got their LCA skids (they were a bear to get on for me) and it didn’t look as if any aftermarket FAD skid would fit easily.
I can take some pictures. It’s currently snowing here in Denver so it may be a day or so for the snow to stop and for me to get it through a car wash. I’m sure it’s filthy under there right now.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same problem with the Rock Hard LCA skid so I cut out just enough of the Metalcloak skid to get at the nut for the control arm. Very easy modification to make them both work together.
Clearly I’ve already moved on but this should be helpful to others.

I’m not afraid of cutting as I have cut my rear pinch seams and also the Rusty’s rear fascia protection, but I did choose to hit the easy button on this one.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
MC. A member passed it forward on here so can’t complain. It’s a stout piece. I feel baller like 50cent with the bling gold :devil:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I can take some pictures. It’s currently snowing here in Denver so it may be a day or so for the snow to stop and for me to get it through a car wash. I’m sure it’s filthy under there right now.
Yeah I heard about your summer day turning to winter almost instantaneously. Weird. If you can get photos of their fitment together that would be great, but take your time and don’t go to any trouble.

77RRAD

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Added some small skids from Artec.
FAD and rear lower control arms / rear shocks.

Ron
Sponsored