Sponsored

Which engine to order with Rubicon (canceling a 4xe order)

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
The eco deseil seems to have some common problems, plus i think def is ridiculous. You'll also never recover the cost of the engine in fuel savings. $250 oil changes, very minor increase in payload and towing, and have fun paying for repairs when warranty drops.

Reports on the 4 banger seem good so far, but a turbo in a wrangler seemed out of place to me. And I know they say you don't have to run premium, but you know you will.

I ordered the 3.6 etorque, proven 3.6 and the etorque system fixes the stupid motorcycle battery in the standard ess version.

I think stepping away from the 4xe is smart. Why get a plug in a vehicle that's designed to get away from plugs? And 20 mile range on electric only, hilarious.
$250 for an oil change? Where are you getting it changed - Bugatti of Beverly Hills?

Pennzoil Platinum is $23.97 for a 5-qt jug. And the filter is $25. That's $75.
Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Hmm so a decade of owning diesels I'll say, I don't care what the motor could do if it was on another frame ;). Can't imagine anyone purchasing a Wrangler for 'towing'.
You don't have to. I'm here.

I wanted something that would tow my boat, but be fun while not towing. I've only ever owned sportscars (OK, a G8 GT, but that's like a 4-door Corvette).

Tows 5500lbs, can go topless and doorless. And isn't a truck. Win-win.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
if i didn't want a manual, i would've chose the 2.0. Really wish that engine came with a manual. But it doesn't, so i got the 3.6 :)

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
You don't have to. I'm here.

I wanted something that would tow my boat, but be fun while not towing. I've only ever owned sportscars (OK, a G8 GT, but that's like a 4-door Corvette).

Tows 5500lbs, can go topless and doorless. And isn't a truck. Win-win.
Same! I have a couple boats, a camper, and borrow or rent a utility trailer every month or two.

I've owned a lot of Jeeps, and started contacting Jeep in the mid-90s asking for a diesel Wrangler. As I was one of those people asking for so long, I also wanted to put my $ where my mouth was.

No regrets. My mileage is great (for a Jeep), my range is excellent (especially off-road), the torque is addictive, the clatter speaks to the enthusiast in me, and my wife loves surprising people at stoplights with how quick it is.

Yes, it will tow 5500 lbs, but still rated to 3500. As others have said, this is mostly due to frame, suspension, and brake capabilities more so than power, even with the gas engines.

OP
OP

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
$250 for an oil change? Where are you getting it changed - Bugatti of Beverly Hills?

Pennzoil Platinum is $23.97 for a 5-qt jug. And the filter is $25. That's $75.
The Diesel takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic at ~$13/ quart and the diesel filter is $50 (not any cheap knockoffs out there that I see). So it's $150 even if you DIY.

Not sure what the labor cost is but the filter placement is annoying as heck so they probably ding you for that.

I bet most of the ecodiesel oil changes by third parties are $200+.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I have the V6 with auto and ESS. The V6 is bullet proof, etroque is too complicated.
I went to a dealer, looking at what can be ordered in a Willys, found out, you can order the V6 with auto, with ESS, your not stuck with etorque, like last year, when you wanted a V6 auto,
WAS wanting a 392, but found out it has CV joints, what's up with that junk?

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I'm glad I didn't get the diesel.... I'm learning that diesel is bad for short trips. I have a less than 20mile trip one way to work that I run once a week. Other trips are 5 miles one way to the grocery store. Nonetheless, I think I'll be super happy iwth my 4banger.... aso I'm a little drunk

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
For cool factor, I would have gone Diesel.
But it was a hard sell for my wife to buy in.

Very happy with both the 3.6 and 2.0.
Either option is great with the Rubicon.

The 392 looks amazing but more that I wanted to spend.

Regardless of engine, you cannot go wrong with the Rubicon.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
3.6L, manual transmission. Bulletproof.
My first Jeep had a 4.0L with the stick and my second one arrived 1.5 months ago with a V6 and a Stick. It is a bit crunchy but I love it. I love the nice engine note as well.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Ditto. My first Jeep was a TJ with 5-speed and 4.0L. I liked it, but I like the 3.6L and 6-speed even more.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
sounds like you haven't tried driving the diesel yet or you wouldn't be wondering if it's loud. (it's not.)

i'd recommend you try driving one!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have the V6 with auto and ESS. The V6 is bullet proof, etroque is too complicated.
I went to a dealer, looking at what can be ordered in a Willys, found out, you can order the V6 with auto, with ESS, your not stuck with etorque, like last year, when you wanted a V6 auto,
WAS wanting a 392, but found out it has CV joints, what's up with that junk?
The 3.6 and 2.0 are not likely to get someone stranded. 40% of warranty claims are battery/charging and ESS related. ESS is the weak link. The most probable component for getting you stranded is the ESS aux battery. Bad ESS batteries can cause all kinds of problems. Both problems directly associated with ESS and problems that are seemingly not related. Just search through this forum for ESS or weird electrical issues. Many are caused by the ESS system. I would religiously replace BOTH the main battery and the 12V AUX ESS battery every 3 years as preventative maintenance. I'd also order the Tow Package for the heavier duty alternator and battery. The AUX switches would just be the cherry on top.
Sponsored