Sponsored

Which engine to order with Rubicon (canceling a 4xe order)

tjklein

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Diesel is a bad option for how short your daily commute is. From what I've read you really want at least a 25+ mile commute one way with a Diesel. It won't have enough time to heat up with such a short commute.
This is not accurate. They heat up much faster than that. I'm on my 2nd 3.0 ED and my 5th diesel.

Your commute won't hinder your diesel at all. I'd go 3.0 but I'm biased! Great motor that has almost all of the kinks worked out and you get a long powertrain warranty with these Jeeps.
Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Hey all,

I've read through a lot of these threads but I'm interested in getting some fresh thoughts on this question. I have been waiting for a 4xe for months and reading the endless issues and shutdowns, I'm going to restart the ordering process (woe is me!). In doing so, here are my engine considerations.

1 - It will be a rubicon. I will take it off road but really not a ton. Live in PA and likely will see more trails than actual rock climbs.
2 - I will have the tow package but won't tow much if ever.
3 - Will have standard wheels and no lift.
4 - Will have a mix of commute miles (20 miles/day at 30-45 mph) and longer 4-6 hour trips once every couple months.

What I want: Mostly reliability. But also some nod to fuel efficiency and fun.

Really tossed up between the three engines: V6, 4-turbo, and ecodiesel. I'd pull the trigger on the diesel but I feel like its reliability is somewhat a concern and it is loud (is it?). Love to hear more about it. V6 is the most reliable but its MPGs blow and it's kind of the middle child--good at a bunch, great at nothing. 4-turbo gets good mpg and a nice jump from the gun but I hesitate with the meager 4-banger. Is it really any fun? Anyways welcome the thoughts.

At least I can get the Sarge Green if I go through with this.
I've got a diesel. I drive around 20 miles per day, in heavy traffic (New Orleans, average 30mph the whole time). It's perfect.

It "heats up" in under 3 minutes, just like every other engine. Not sure where people are getting their info on that front. As for the "stop and go" part, it's great. You don't have to rev it to get power (looking at you, 2.0 turbo). It just goes.

It's not loud at all. In fact, with the radio off, you can barely even hear it. Radio on, you hear nothing. It's not like a 3/4-ton truck diesel. Those are like 7.0L engines. Ours is much smaller, and the turbo (naturally) muffles a lot of the noise.

It gets great mpg. Best of the bunch, except the 4xe (and that's not a fair comparison).

So, more power than anything except the 392/4xe. Better mpg than anything than anything except the 4xe.

One other thing that you might not have considered. May or may not be applicable to you., but it was to me. If/When there is a gas shortage (natural disaster, widespread panic, electrical outage, etc.), there is ALWAYS diesel available at truck stops. They get big portable generators, and that's what they hook up first. When Hurricane Ida hit here, there were (no kidding) 5-8 hour waits in line for gas. And no one within 100 miles had electricity. But, I could pull up to the nearest truck stop, and fill up. No waiting in line, no hassle. (OK, only hassle is that the truck nozzle doesn't fit in our tank - but Jeep included an adapter, so you just use that while you fill up.)

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I own the ecodiesel and the 3.6, in particular the 3.6 without the ‘mild hybrid’ 48v battery.

I prefer the feel of the ecodiesel and the fuel economy blows the 3.6 away. But the upkeep of DEF and expensive oil changes and fuel filter changes over time is not ideal, also the reliability is a concern. I’ve had a strange loss of coolant, along with a battery/electronics issue on the ecodiesel. The 3.6 on the other hand runs like a champ and I haven’t had an issue with it since getting it in mid 2019.
I consider the ecodiesel an ‘enthusiasts option’ much like the 392 or 4XE, where as the 3.6 and to a lesser degree the 2.0 are the ‘normal options’
Upkeep of DEF? How so? it's like every 5000 miles, stop at any gas station that sells diesel, and put a box in. It takes as much time as cleaning your windshield.

Expensive oil changes? No more so that my 2017 Camaro SS. 9 quarts of fluid and a $25 filter.

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Before purchasing, I test drove a 3.6 V6 and the 2.0 turbo. I went in expecting to prefer the V6, but bought the 2.0 because it was peppier, surprisingly so. Also, I have a cabin at 8000 ft in the NM mountains and the turbo doesn't lose its spunk at the higher elevation like normally aspirated motors do.

6500 miles later, I have no regrets and I'm getting 24 -25 mpg if I feather-foot it, so I'm a happy camper.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Before purchasing, I test drove a 3.6 V6 and the 2.0 turbo. I went in expecting to prefer the V6, but bought the 2.0 because it was peppier, surprisingly so. Also, I have a cabin at 8000 ft in the NM mountains and the turbo doesn't lose its spunk at the higher elevation like normally aspirated motors do.

6500 miles later, I have no regrets and I'm getting 24 -25 mpg if I feather-foot it, so I'm a happy camper.
Now you're making me wonder how much I can get out of my diesel if I try hard. I get 25-30 (city-hwy) with my lead-assed foot.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
If your looking for an automatic then get the 2.0 turbo, if you want a manual then I would get the 3.6.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Hey all,

I've read through a lot of these threads but I'm interested in getting some fresh thoughts on this question. I have been waiting for a 4xe for months and reading the endless issues and shutdowns, I'm going to restart the ordering process (woe is me!). In doing so, here are my engine considerations.

1 - It will be a rubicon. I will take it off road but really not a ton. Live in PA and likely will see more trails than actual rock climbs.
4 - Will have a mix of commute miles (20 miles/day at 30-45 mph) and longer 4-6 hour trips once every couple months.

Really tossed up between the three engines: V6, 4-turbo, and ecodiesel. I'd pull the trigger on the diesel but I feel like its reliability is somewhat a concern and it is loud (is it?). Love to hear more about it. V6 is the most reliable but its MPGs blow and it's kind of the middle child--good at a bunch, great at nothing. 4-turbo gets good mpg and a nice jump from the gun but I hesitate with the meager 4-banger. Is it really any fun? Anyways welcome the thoughts.

I just bought the 2.0L with the automatic. 95% of the miles will be commuting and it made the most sense. I haven't seen any posts like "Man that time I was in Moab and the little turbo just couldn't..."

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I believe we are making john adams' decision a much more enjoyable experience.

Everything has a pro, and a con. You will not have a problem nit picking, or finding some "fault" in your own choice after making it. Even when your biases have been cemented.

In a couple/few years you'll be drooling over the newest release with today's purchase in the garage. At least, that will be me.

As long as it says Wrangler on the side... you can't go wrong on the fun factor.

I didn't have patience for ordering. I wanted something that got me on the path of adventure as soon as possible.

Good luck on yours.

Sponsored

squarefoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure what kind of deal you got when ordering, but before you cancel the 4xe, consider leasing it, driving it for a few months, getting the tax credit and flipping it for profit. Check out the forums on leasehackr. Just a thought.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Hey all,

Easy the 2.0 is the way to go. Had the 3.6 in my 20 JLUR & 13, 14 JKUs. The 2.0 in my 21 JLUR is by far more fun to drive and much better on MPG.

I was a septic at first but now I am sold on the 2.0 as it has proven to be every bit as good and even better in more ways. It’s only down side is the sound. It reminds me of my 90s era Honda 4cly engine.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I am not sure that you can go wrong, to be honest. I drove the 2.0L and the 3.6 and both had their strengths. In terms of reliability, any engine can fail or last a long time if well maintained.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Which engine to order with Rubicon

I have had my JLURD 3.0L for 1 year now, 17,000 miles, and it has been a pleasure. I am very glad I choose the diesel. Just do it!

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
My 2021 2dr Rubicon 3.6L E-Torque 8-speed Auto gets 20-22 MPG. Jeep is bone stock except for a Warn winch. This Jeep is quick!
Sponsored