Sponsored

Which do you think was the most "iconic" Wrangler?

the "best of the rest" Wrangler?

• Total voters

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'd say the TJ was the last true jeep. All metal, no plastic, and mechanical, not technological.

That being said I still liked the JK and like the JL. They are just more commercial based.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I never owned a TJ, but I was selling Jeeps when TJ came out: it lured a ton of first-time Jeep buyers into showrooms.

Wrangler’s appeal has always be strong, but people were reluctant to get one for one reason or another —e.g., too small, lack of four doors, etc.

TJ brought adequate levels of comfort and a relatively modern, livable interior. That was enough to convince many to take the plunge.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The problem is the poll is subjective. The best wrangler in what sense? Iconic? Creature comforts? Off-road ability?

I initially voted TJ, as it was what I would consider the first modern Wrangler. As @aldo98229 puts it:

Then I thought more on it for a moment and changed my vote to the JL.

Because to me, and I think many others, Jeeping is about more than power, or lockers, or two doors versus four.

It's about putting that top down, having those doors off, and enjoying life. It's about driving something that puts a smile on your face.

That's why I want Camp Jeep to come back in force. It'd be a blast to spend a weekend with CJ-1As to 2021 392 JLUR XRs.
One more thing that is greatly improved as the Wrangler evolved. The JL soft top is a LOT easier to put down than the TJ.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yeah, it was also limited, imho, as a "Wrangler". I remember as a kid wanting to by one of the crate Willy's, the true "Iconic" jeep. They'd send you a crate with all the parts to put your own General Purpose vehicle together. To be honest, if I could get one, I'd still get one today. But the more I learn about the JL, the more I'm considering canceling my order and looking for '93-95 YJ or TJ or maybe even another XJ. Frankly, when AMC sold out, the Jeep has only declined, and now that it's with Fiat, it's well....a Fiat.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
This poll is a little biased. After all it's a 'JL' forum. Glad to see that other models are getting votes.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm....TJ or JL? Why not both?

They are both awesome Jeeps for entirely different reasons!
Jeep Wrangler JL Which do you think was the most "iconic" Wrangler? 20200708_105434
Jeep Wrangler JL Which do you think was the most "iconic" Wrangler? 20200708_105050
Jeep Wrangler JL Which do you think was the most "iconic" Wrangler? Screenshot_20210619-160010_Photos

aville65

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bug, 09 Jetta, 24 Tiguan R-Line, 21 JL Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Wife and I were married in a 78 CJ Renegade, loved it. Replaced with 04 TJ Sport, loved it more. Waiting on 21 LJ Sport S, 3.6, manual, Sting Gray hardtop. Have window sticker from Crypto, dealer says any day, feel like a kid waiting on Christmas. Should be my favorite!

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I traded my Gladiator on a Ram TRX I have on order. It was taking so long for the TRX to be built that I started looking around for a used Jeep to drive around in. I looked all over the three closest states, and used Jeeps were so over priced that I bought a new base model Rubicon (JL) instead. But, ... while looking for used Jeeps I drove a nice CJ, and several different YJs, TJs, and JKs. No doubt the JL dives the best of all of them. I had owned 4 TJs, back in the day, but I had forgotten just how horrible a lifted TJ can drive. Oh my god, they feel unsafe at any speed. The YJs and even the CJ drove better than the TJs I drove. I'll stick with our base model JLUR thank you.

Reactions: LCW

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I love the look of the older Jeeps minus the JK, but the new ones have improved drastically...

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
TJ and JL are the best of the lineup. TJ just kicked ass, but having to rip out everything to do a baby build of 33s gets old fast. JKs suck. They were badly built,with terrible transmissions and they never came into their own until you tore out everything. They got it right with the JL, the perfect balance of comfort and capability. I didn’t have to replace much too be able to run 35s, and the capability and comfort blows me away every time I’m in it.
Sponsored