Sponsored

Which do you think was the most "iconic" Wrangler?

the "best of the rest" Wrangler?

• Total voters

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Apologies if this has been done before (I'm new)...

Obviously, modernization dictates that the current Wrangler offers the most safety, driveability, technology, etc. But, does that necessarily make it the best by Jeep standards?

YJ was the first Wrangler. 'Nuff said.
TJ was the modernized version. Rubicon is born.
JK was the best selling, due to the birth of the Unlimited.
JL is the modernized version. Options now include diesel! xe! 392!

I don't have my JL, yet, but I love everything I see so far. That same feeling is what sold me on the TJ when I ordered my '97 TJ sport, 4.0 manual. I loved that Jeep, and still kick myself for thinking it was time to move up to a pickup after 14 years. I knew I would get another Jeep at some point, but figured it would be an old, beater Jeep (more on that, later). We are not yet retired, but have already bought and moved full-time into our retirement home on the water at Lake of the Ozarks. My wife knows I want another Jeep, but her car is DOA and she is due for a new one. Rather than get a compact luxury car as she thought she wanted, she shocked me when she said I could buy my Jeep if it had the tech and some of the amenities she desired (she acknowledged her car would have no allure, while the Jeep comes with off-road play options, community, etc). Well, the JL is perfect, and used Jeep prices are currently ridiculous, anyway. So, we have a 2-door manual Rubicon ordered. And I am stoked.

But, I still love that TJ. I love the look, the size, the marvelous 4.0 straight 6...when I see one today I still eye it with much fondness and love. Obviously my previous ownership makes be biased. I have seen some YouTubers claim the YJ is the one true Jeepers should be buying right now, but I still just can't help but to think way down the road, the TJ will be the crown jewel in the Jeep line. It was still a smallish Jeep, which we will probably never see again.

We will be hitting the trails with the JL. If we love it, but get skeered of scratching/over modifying our JL, I may even still end up with a TJ for my old, beater off-roader.

So, what say you? Obviously the JL is the latest and greatest, but can the older models still be seen as more iconic than the most modern version?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Like my JL, but will aways admire the TJ. First Jeep I ever rode in or drove a bit off road (my parents had one for a little while). They where also popular when I was in high school. So the TJ will aways have a special place in my heart for me.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The JL is the best, IMHO, but the YJ was the most pure Jeep experience. Mine had soft upper doors with zipper windows, no air conditioning, soft top only, and a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed. What a rough beast it was, but it was the most fun to drive vehicle I've ever owned. I am still upset that I was dumb enough to sell it 18 years after it drove off with its new owner.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Put my vote in for the LJ. I also pre-ordered the TJ in 97! Was really so cool at the time because it went back to the round lights and had coils instead of leaf springs. No way I would have bought a JLUR if I had a LJ that was as built up as my TJ. The LJ had the perfect wheelbase and was super easy to work on.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL Which do you think was the most "iconic" Wrangler? F409DF42-7629-4BAA-8639-1276ED93DC37

This is my favorite Jeep, LJ.
Yep. This right here. Half door LJ with high-line fenders, 4” of short arm lift, and 35” MT’s. Still had the nimble spry feeling of a TJ, but the interior room of a JK/JL 2 door. I’d still love to put one together just like that one.

Sponsored

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport
I’ve had a yj, two tjs (still have) a jk and a jl (still have). I miss my jk but I’d still say for actually using for its intended purpose the tj is best.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Apologies if this has been done before (I'm new)...

Obviously, modernization dictates that the current Wrangler offers the most safety, driveability, technology, etc. But, does that necessarily make it the best by Jeep standards?

YJ was the first Wrangler. 'Nuff said.
TJ was the modernized version. Rubicon is born.
JK was the best selling, due to the birth of the Unlimited.
JL is the modernized version. Options now include diesel! xe! 392!

I don't have my JL, yet, but I love everything I see so far. That same feeling is what sold me on the TJ when I ordered my '97 TJ sport, 4.0 manual. I loved that Jeep, and still kick myself for thinking it was time to move up to a pickup after 14 years. I knew I would get another Jeep at some point, but figured it would be an old, beater Jeep (more on that, later). We are not yet retired, but have already bought and moved full-time into our retirement home on the water at Lake of the Ozarks. My wife knows I want another Jeep, but her car is DOA and she is due for a new one. Rather than get a compact luxury car as she thought she wanted, she shocked me when she said I could buy my Jeep if it had the tech and some of the amenities she desired (she acknowledged her car would have no allure, while the Jeep comes with off-road play options, community, etc). Well, the JL is perfect, and used Jeep prices are currently ridiculous, anyway. So, we have a 2-door manual Rubicon ordered. And I am stoked.

But, I still love that TJ. I love the look, the size, the marvelous 4.0 straight 6...when I see one today I still eye it with much fondness and love. Obviously my previous ownership makes be biased. I have seen some YouTubers claim the YJ is the one true Jeepers should be buying right now, but I still just can't help but to think way down the road, the TJ will be the crown jewel in the Jeep line. It was still a smallish Jeep, which we will probably never see again.

We will be hitting the trails with the JL. If we love it, but get skeered of scratching/over modifying our JL, I may even still end up with a TJ for my off-roader.

So, what say you?
As soon as you drive a new JL up a steep grade with any of the engine options available, you'll realize the 4.0 was far from marvelous. With the top and doors off the tj struggled to maintain freeway speed even without a grade. With our 2.0t the jeep will accelerate on even the steepest grades, at freeway speed, at the highest elevations, on 37's and stock gears. Having owned 10+ various jeeps over the last 20 years, even the 4.7v8 in the grand Cherokee was slow by comparison. Don't get me wrong, the 4.0 was great for what it was, a tractor motor that was reliable and built to last. We put over 200k miles on at least 3 of them between a TJ, an XJ, and a ZJ. Our jlu is the most comfortable wrangler I've ever driven. It handles so much better than a stock tj, let alone the down right scary short arm, 4" plus lifted ones I've driven. Between the lack of power and the sketchy handling, the tj was just not fun to drive up the mountain passes to get to the Rubicon. Loaded with 4-5 days of camping gear you could barely keep up with the big rigs going up 80, and coming down into the usually high winds was more white knuckle than anything on the trail. The JL has literally erased every complaint I ever had with the TJ.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I believe the TJ\LJ is and the most refined true Jeep, however all my TJ buddies are jealous of my JLR!
S
What is a "true jeep"? Solid axle? Body on frame? Removable top and doors? Able to run some of the toughest trails in the world bone stock? Picking some arbitrary cut off date and calling it the "most refined"... only up to that point, makes no sense to me but to each his own.

OP
OP
desmo2

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Hagerty says TJ
Hagerty's "sweet spot" statement is exactly my question for this thread. Which model is the "sweet spot"?
As soon as you drive a new JL up a steep grade with any of the engine options available, you'll realize the 4.0 was far from marvelous. With the top and doors off the tj struggled to maintain freeway speed even without a grade....Don't get me wrong, the 4.0 was great for what it was, a tractor motor that was reliable and built to last....The JL has literally erased every complaint I ever had with the TJ.
With a manual transmission, I never really felt the 4.0 lacked power. Having said that, the 3.6 Pentastar offers @50% more power than the 4.0. I have no doubt I will be adequately impressed by the more modern motor! I am beyond "Christmas morning" excited to take possession, whenever that turns out to be, and am open to the possibility that owning a JL will supplant my romantic obsession with the TJ. But, that is a pretty high bar to clear!

What is a "true jeep"?
That is the crux of the question. How do YOU define it? Highway driveability? Off-road capability? Safety or tech features? Comfort? There is no one right answer. Pinging the latest of the Wrangler ownership, I am curious to see how the majority defines what makes the "best" of a Wrangler.
Sponsored