First Name
Geral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
How about VW they purchase all the Very expensive models and Jeep is up their. My first jeep to my JLU Rubicon which it has been 14 jeeps from 1980 to 2018 is $8500 to $47900 and all you know you can spend up to $57000.00, then you personalize it another 10-12 K.
I just love doing it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
keda69

keda69

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 rubicon
A company that already has halo products in that segment. You get no new opportunities, efficiencies that way.

Only a fool would pay top dollar for a brand that in a segment that they too also compete in at the top.
If Jeep were stuggling it would be a completely different scenario, but the fact that they are highly valued means that if they don’t offer new lines beyond the purchased market share, then you are over-paying for that share, and it more than likely sales would contract, not grow after acquisition.

Better for someone like a Chinese company to buy into a new market, and then expand with a second line for new market share beyond just the pruchased share/assets.
Thats not what you said in your original quote you said if ford or Toyota , bought jeep they would cannibalize it. Now your saying they wouldn't buy it in the first place , because they would be competing with themselves. I don't believe that's true, people have their own tastes either you like a 4runner or you like the GC , most people buy a car based on style not performance or reliability. Yes someone is going to jump in here , and say they always evaluate a car on performance and reliability, good for you , but I said most people. Also neither Toyota or ford have a direct competitor for the wrangler. So I don't see a problem with either one of them buying jeep.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Have you ever looked at the build quality of a Tesla? Height differences of 1/4" or more between adjacent panels is not at all uncommon.
I was thinking that electric is actually, so the pros tell me, a good way to torque the drive shaft off road, over obstacles: that was were my mind was with Tesla and their electric vehicles...

;)The 1/4" off... Are you trying to say (pun intended) that given this craftsmanship, that Tesla is a "perfect fit" to take over Jeep?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think it would be a company that has no US presence and no SUV line. An Indian company or Chinese company most likely. Similar to what happened with Land Rover.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Thats not what you said in your original quote you said if ford or Toyota , bought jeep they would cannibalize it. Now your saying they wouldn't buy it in the first place , because they would be competing with themselves.
It’s both, because they still have to pick a winner in the segment to focus on even just to consolidate a platform. There are not two separate platforms in a car company that compete for the same segment. All of GM’s Chevy/GM/Caddy , Toyota/Lexus, Ford/Lincoln overlap is on the same platform. You get no benefit from owning two separate lines for the same segment.
So they have to pick a focus, and that’s precisely where the Jeep products get the back seat, and that weakens the brand which cannibalizes the products in lieu of the parent company’s strong badge. That same challenge is precisely why GM needed to contract and get ride of overlap. They are not mutually exclusive challenges.

Whereas a new company without products in the segment can focus on the one line an expand it with their empty slots in their local market and feed into FCA open spots (small vehicles), and not pick a winner & loser.
Long term a truely independant Grand Cherokee and 4Runner doesn’t co-exist, they become a shared platform, so the name might still exist, but they are just variants of the same product.

Also neither Toyota or ford have a direct competitor for the wrangler. So I don't see a problem with either one of them buying jeep.
They have a lot of overlap in the Bronco and FT-4X which are positioned for the same segment as the Wrangler, even if many Wrangler owners wouldn’t consider them true compeititors, a lot of those 600,000 purchasers would. But it is the only one that has a chance of barely surviving, but you don’t buy all the rest just for the Wrangler, and have it remain a halo product in the combined company.

There is way too much overlap from dealerships to vehicles, the ROI is terrible, especially paying top dollar for those duplications. Growth through acquisition is costly, and certainky not attractive to comoanies without holes in their line-up.

Here’s a better question for you.
What does Toyota or Ford bring to Jeep that benefits Jeep or Ford or Toyota and the Wrangler or GC owner?

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Jeep has been bought and sold about 5 times in its history.
So who would you like to see buy them next?
Me personally id go with ford or Toyota.

OP
OP
keda69

keda69

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 rubicon
It’s both, because they still have to pick a winner in the segment to focus on even just to consolidate a platform. There are not two separate platforms in a car company that compete for the same segment. All of GM’s Chevy/GM/Caddy , Toyota/Lexus, Ford/Lincoln overlap is on the same platform. You get no benefit from owning two separate lines for the same segment.
So they have to pick a focus, and that’s precisely where the Jeep products get the back seat, and that weakens the brand which cannibalizes the products in lieu of the parent company’s strong badge. That same challenge is precisely why GM needed to contract and get ride of overlap. They are not mutually exclusive challenges.

Whereas a new company without products in the segment can focus on the one line an expand it with their empty slots in their local market and feed into FCA open spots (small vehicles), and not pick a winner & loser.
Long term a truely independant Grand Cherokee and 4Runner doesn’t co-exist, they become a shared platform, so the name might still exist, but they are just variants of the same product.

They have a lot of overlap in the Bronco and FT-4X which are positioned for the same segment as the Wrangler, even if many Wrangler owners wouldn’t consider them true compeititors, a lot of those 600,000 purchasers would. But it is the only one that has a chance of barely surviving, but you don’t buy all the rest just for the Wrangler, and have it remain a halo product in the combined company.

There is way too much overlap from dealerships to vehicles, the ROI is terrible, especially paying top dollar for those duplications. Growth through acquisition is costly, and certainky not attractive to comoanies without holes in their line-up.

What does Toyota or Ford bring to Jeep that benefits Jeep or Ford or Toyota and the Wrangler or GC owner?

OP
OP
keda69

keda69

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 rubicon

The bronco and the FT aren't in production yet, and the bronco is only going to be a 4dr, the FT hasn't even been green lit yet and probably won't be. You keep making the same argument, and your wrong. Your arguing just to argue. And I don't do that. .

OP
OP
keda69

keda69

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 rubicon

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Im a lot more optimistic than others here. If anyone buys Jeep and other lines from FCA, they will be doing it because of the success of the jeep brand. If they cannibalize it, they would effectively be damaging the most valuable brand that they would be buying. I would suspect that it would remain mostly intact, with notable casualties being the compass and renegade.
Ehh disagree on the Renegade part. I believe it’s basically the 4x4 version of the Kia Soul. A lot of people buy into the idea of a small city crossover and the Renegade adds a 4x4 system to the mix. The US Market is saturated with Medium and Large Family Crossovers and SUVs though. It’s all opinions though and I don’t think Ford or Toyota would really benefit other than getting rid of competition. Possibly Honda or out of nowhere someone like BMW who owns Mini Cooper. The key would to get a piece of the pie without eating into your existing slice.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You keep making the same argument, and your wrong. Your arguing just to argue.
And you can’t make a case for either Ford or Toyota being beneficial, so your personal preference is equally as ‘wrong’.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Geely will make an offer Sergio can’t refuse. Then the vast majority of members here will really and truly flip their shit. It almost happened with their last offer.
Yup. But I think Geely will be the ones to give in and take Chrysler/Dodge/Ram as well. This is the only scenario posed here that I see as realistic: they have the money, auto expertise and market. All of the brands would slot in nicely and give them global presence way beyond Volvo, which they've done a nice job with. They would still have room for the Grand Cherokee above the XC90, and the smaller Jeeps could use a boost in the Asia market. An executive/slightly stretched 300 could be successful in China, and RAM will always contribute fleet sales. And it sure would be a good way to get around any threatened tariffs by building products in China and the US.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Hyundai.... they already make the frames. or used too......

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai.... they already make the frames. or used too......
That’s the Mobis division, and next month once the JK(U) ceases production they’re done.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
who buids them now? by the looks of the welds, maybe they need to re evaluate.
Sponsored