Which Butyl Mastic for rack?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm gathering the parts I need to install a roof rack and it seems like butyl isn't easy to find....I thought it would be. Here's what I came up with and was wondering if there's something better, or if any of these would work:

- Butyl Tape: Second Skin Butyl Sealant Tape from Amazon. Probably the easiest to apply and least messiest.
- Caulk: CR Laurence 777 Butyl Sealant. Says it's butyl but it looks like it may harden over time, according to an amazon comment. The web site for the caulk says it won't harden though. May harden at -20F.
- Caulk: Red Devil 06970I Butyl Sealant. Looks good but it's only in white and gray. May harden at -20F.

These are the ones I found that are easiest to obtain online. Does anybody have a recommendation of what to go with?

Advertisement

Fonzilla85

First Name
AL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I'm gathering the parts I need to install a roof rack and it seems like butyl isn't easy to find....I thought it would be. Here's what I came up with and was wondering if there's something better, or if any of these would work:

- Butyl Tape: Second Skin Butyl Sealant Tape from Amazon. Probably the easiest to apply and least messiest.
- Caulk: CR Laurence 777 Butyl Sealant. Says it's butyl but it looks like it may harden over time, according to an amazon comment. The web site for the caulk says it won't harden though. May harden at -20F.
- Caulk: Red Devil 06970I Butyl Sealant. Looks good but it's only in white and gray. May harden at -20F.

These are the ones I found that are easiest to obtain online. Does anybody have a recommendation of what to go with?
I used Dynaflex Ultra, no issues with leaks or it cracking. You can pick it up at any hardware store.

OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used 3M Scotch Seal Mastic (2229)

Found Here
Thanks! That was another one I saw and was thinking about it. My experience was 3m products previously has been great so I thought it may work too. It doesn't really say butyl and I got the impression it was more electrical, but maybe it sounds like it works just as well.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@nU7OuxIx Curious as to what you ended up going with for a solution, and if you have any tips to share. I’ve got the Rhino Rack Backbone system, and am having trouble finding this stuff as well.

OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@nU7OuxIx Curious as to what you ended up going with for a solution, and if you have any tips to share. I’ve got the Rhino Rack Backbone system, and am having trouble finding this stuff as well.
Replied to your PM but will post here in case others had the same question...

Lol...yes... I had the same problem. I went with C.R. Laurence 777BL CRL Black 777 Butyl Rubber Sealant from Amazon. Link below.. Mind you, I just had this for about a month, but so far, no leaks.

I don't know how the tape would work. I will say that the caulk is messy...really messy. I would had liked to fill the screw hole with it too, but after making a loop around the screw holes, I said that was good enough. What I ended up doing is gently placing the rhino mount on the roof, putting some blue painters tape around that piece, and then torqueing them down. The butyl squishes out from there and then would get on the tape instead of all over the roof. I tend to go overboard with sealants though so maybe I overdid it.

Some recommended silicone caulk and gasket sealer. I read something somewhere that said gasket sealer can be used...this is the stuff that you would use to make an o-ring or put around the diff cover to reseal it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend silicone or any other caulk like that because it's not anywhere close to what the instructions said and I think it would cause headaches later.

Good luck!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TBCQ92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DarkAardvark

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
I used RTV on a hole in my flappy soft top for my TJ and it lasted for 7 years (would probably have gone longer, but I replaced the whole top)

I have it on my JL's hard top with the maximus 3 rhino rack system and it hasn't leaked in the whole month it's been on there

Advertisement

Tazer JL - Z Automotive

Advertisement