Sponsored

Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I thought Bilstein 5100 were going to make the ride firm as they are part of AEV kit but may be the spring is doing the work there.. I'm leaning more towards fox as they are rebuildable and aluminum (rust proof). What are the main reasons y' all went with Bilstein's?
No point spending extra money for the 2.0 fox imo. Both shocks are in the same category. Fox you're paying name premium.
Sponsored

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Like the Rocksports, the TT is twin tube. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad shock, but generally a monotube (Bilstein, Fox, others) is superior to a twin tube.
Gotcha! shocks have always been a little confusing to me. So many different types. I had Bilsteins on my taco and was always happy with them. Except for the one time I felt like a baja racer and they exploded in death valley lol.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
No. 2-3inch he will be fine. I use to ride like that. You don't even need bumpstop extensions, you'll never bottom out the shocks unless you are jumping the jeep or remove the yellow rubber things. What he needs to do to make sure is to measure his current eye-to-eye shock mount length at riding height.
If you say so...

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Anyone have feedback on which Bilstein 5100's to chose for a Rubicon XR with a 2.5" lift?

I have gotten mixed feedback from two different shops quoting the parts & install.

I am going with Rock Krawler 2.5" springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks. What I cannot decide is which shock model to request.

* Lifted height of 2-3''
* Lifted height of 3-4.5"

I see several recommendations for the stock height XR's to use the 2-3" version, which has me thinking to opt for the 3-4.5" versions for my lifted XR.

Thanks all!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Anyone have feedback on which Bilstein 5100's to chose for a Rubicon XR with a 2.5" lift?

I have gotten mixed feedback from two different shops quoting the parts & install.

I am going with Rock Krawler 2.5" springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks. What I cannot decide is which shock model to request.

* Lifted height of 2-3''

I see several recommendations for the stock height XR's to use the 2-3" version, which has me thinking to opt for the 3-4.5" versions for my lifted XR.

Thanks all!
I’d add a little bit of bump stop and run 3-4.5s.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

* Lifted height of 2-3''

Thanks all!
Agree with Matt….I would run the 3-4.5s….that way you’ll have a little more articulation, but more importantly if for some reason you want/need to add a spacer or if you decide to go up to 3.5” springs you won’t be at/or over the limitations of your shocks. Even if you think that adding height is not on your radar, it always remains a possibility……

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
I have the 5160's with 3.5" lift and love them!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

* Lifted height of 2-3''

Thanks all!
To give you a little more info, since I'm back at my laptop. Attached is @AnnDee4444 's shock calculator. I've estimated your lift with the RK 2.5s at 3" over stock Rubi. I believe at least the front of the built in bump extensions on the XR are 1.5".

I included the 5160s because I've run both, and while the 5100s are fine, the 5160s make a noticeable difference in on/off road driving and come with the benefit of some additional travel. I second @JLJeepGuy513 's recommendation.

The stock bump length, ignoring the foam jounce is 16.25" front and 17" rear, so with the XR extension, you should be at 17.75" front and 18.5" rear (may want to confirm the rear with a tape measure, it's just the block bolted to the axle).

The compressed length of the 5100 3-4.5" is 18.31" Front and 19.49" Rear. So you'll want to add 1/2-1" in the front and 1" in the rear to protect them.

The 5100 3-4.5" are right at the edge of the driveshaft limit up front. RK recommends an aftermarket driveshaft over 29" extended and they are 28.43". The 5160s do jump to driveshaft territory, but work with your stock bump stops. Note, the 5160s do come with outboards, I think they'll work fine with the XR +12mm wheels.

With this amount of flex, you'll need to flip the parking brake cable over the rear crossmember, which is pretty easy. Probably need to trash the front brake line/LCA brackets as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package? 1679058682011

Sponsored

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
To give you a little more info, since I'm back at my laptop. Attached is @AnnDee4444 's shock calculator. I've estimated your lift with the RK 2.5s at 3" over stock Rubi. I believe at least the front of the built in bump extensions on the XR are 1.5".

I included the 5160s because I've run both, and while the 5100s are fine, the 5160s make a noticeable difference in on/off road driving and come with the benefit of some additional travel. I second @JLJeepGuy513 's recommendation.

The stock bump length, ignoring the foam jounce is 16.25" front and 17" rear, so with the XR extension, you should be at 17.75" front and 18.5" rear (may want to confirm the rear with a tape measure, it's just the block bolted to the axle).

The compressed length of the 5100 3-4.5" is 18.31" Front and 19.49" Rear. So you'll want to add 1/2-1" in the front and 1" in the rear to protect them.

The 5100 3-4.5" are right at the edge of the driveshaft limit up front. RK recommends an aftermarket driveshaft over 29" extended and they are 28.43". The 5160s do jump to driveshaft territory, but work with your stock bump stops. Note, the 5160s do come with outboards, I think they'll work fine with the XR +12mm wheels.

With this amount of flex, you'll need to flip the parking brake cable over the rear crossmember, which is pretty easy. Probably need to trash the front brake line/LCA brackets as well.

1679058682011.png
Thank you, the details help quite a bit!

Seems wild that I would want to add more bump stop in the front given the long length of the XR's metal bump stop extensions. That said, you guys clearly are more experienced than myself.

Sounds like the conservative approach is run the 2-3" lift version. If I want more flex, I will need to tweak a couple minor items (brake line brackets on LCA's) and parking brake cable, and run the 3.5-4" version. I think Tera flex makes a solution for the front brake lines. Note, I don't want to risk damage to my driveshaft.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thank you, the details help quite a bit!

Seems wild that I would want to add more bump stop in the front given the long length of the XR's metal bump stop extensions. That said, you guys clearly are more experienced than myself.

Sounds like the conservative approach is run the 2-3" lift version. If I want more flex, I will need to tweak a couple minor items (brake line brackets on LCA's) and parking brake cable, and run the 3.5-4" version. I think Tera flex makes a solution for the front brake lines. Note, I don't want to risk damage to my driveshaft.
So the bump trade off is a product of how a Monotube shock is constructed. To get rid of the outer tube in twin tubes, they put the gas in the main tube with a "Floating Piston" behind it. So that means (in general) to gain extended length they have to increase compressed length.

So, look at the bump/droop section of the spreadsheet. It is automatically taking into account that you need more bump on the 3-4.5"s:
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package? 1679071922722

At my guess for the amount of lift you end up with, your max uptravel (bump) is 5.25". Adding bump for the 3-4.5", you do sacrifice some of that, but you end up gaining significant downtravel (droop) because of it.

The net result gives you 1" of additional overall travel with the longer shocks.

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
So the bump trade off is a product of how a Monotube shock is constructed. To get rid of the outer tube in twin tubes, they put the gas in the main tube with a "Floating Piston" behind it. So that means (in general) to gain extended length they have to increase compressed length.

So, look at the bump/droop section of the spreadsheet. It is automatically taking into account that you need more bump on the 3-4.5"s:
1679071922722.png

At my guess for the amount of lift you end up with, your max uptravel (bump) is 5.25". Adding bump for the 3-4.5", you do sacrifice some of that, but you end up gaining significant downtravel (droop) because of it.

The net result gives you 1" of additional overall travel with the longer shocks.
Got it.

If I go 2-3" shocks - no additional bump stop but sacrifice some "potential" travel
If I go 3.5-4" shocks - add 1" bump stop in front and rear but gain 1" additional travel

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Got it.

If I go 2-3" shocks - no additional bump stop but sacrifice some "potential" travel
If I go 3.5-4" shocks - add 1" bump stop in front and rear but gain 1" additional travel
Just an update, after speaking with the shop performing the install, I ended up going with the 3.5-4" version. I am very pleased with the RK 2.5" springs & Bilstein 5100 combo on my XR. Rides great (maybe a little firm), handles well, and feels more planted in braking / turning maneuvers.

Hoping to hit the trails this weekend!
Sponsored