Sponsored

Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Maybe one of you with more experience with Jeep suspension, mighty be able to help.

I'm interested in maybe picking up a set of Bilstein 5100s for my JLUR XR. But I'm not sure which ones to order.

They have them in 0 to 1.5 inch lift, and 2 to 3 inch lift.

Since the XR is supposed to be 1.5 inches over a Rubicon, should I get the 0 to 1.5 inch? Seems to make sense, but also what if I add a spacer leveling kit to the front after I install my Winch in the front bumper?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe one of you with more experience with Jeep suspension, mighty be able to help.

I'm interested in maybe picking up a set of Bilstein 5100s for my JLUR XR. But I'm not sure which ones to order.

Since the XR is supposed to be 1.5 inches over a Rubicon, should I get the 0 to 1.5 inch? Seems to make sense, but also what if I add a spacer leveling kit to the front after I install my Winch in the front bumper?
Get the 2-3”’ if you do spacers, and control compression with bump stops.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get the 2-3”’ if you do spacers, and control compression with bump stops.
Perfect, just the information I was looking for. Appreciate it.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You should be OK in front with the XR extended bumps for the 2-3", you may be a little shy in the rear, but you'll have over 5" of uptravel so you probably wont be slamming off the shock compression very often.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package? 1659975117012

Edit: Actually the rears are shorter compressed than stock, so I'd assume you'll be fine.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be OK in front with the XR extended bumps for the 2-3", you may be a little shy in the rear, but you'll have over 5" of uptravel so you probably wont be slamming off the shock compression very often.
Jeep Wrangler JL Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package? 1659975117012

Edit: Actually the rears are shorter compressed than stock, so I'd assume you'll be fine.
This is great information, thank you! Is there any concern that the 2 inch lift shocks can extend too much and let the springs fall out at full droop? It seems the max extension length is about 2 inches more than stock.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

2-3inch. I have these with standard Rubicon springs and they fit perfect. I measured everything before selecting these shocks, the standard Rubicon were too short for my Jeep and my red shocks were overextending and clunking. You have the XR suspension so you should have plenty length there. Full droop your springs can handle them, mine can. And you don't need bumpstops because of the rubber on the stock bumpstops. youll be fine, buy the 4 shocks and install them and that's all you need.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
This is great information, thank you! Is there any concern that the 2 inch lift shocks can extend too much and let the springs fall out at full droop? It seems the max extension length is about 2 inches more than stock.
You should be fine, I ran the longer 3-4.5"s on stock 4xe springs with 2" spacers and had no issues.

On the rear, you may hit the shocks with the sway bar at full droop. If they do, you can get longer links or spacers to lower the frame mount of the bar. I ran the 2" mopar links for a while and I want to say it hit around 28-29" so you may be ok with the XR links. Also check the parking brake lines, if they are limiting it's an easy reroute to gain extra clearance.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome guys, thanks for the help!

Do you guys have thoughts on the ride quality of these Bilstein 5100s vs stock Rubicon shocks and/or XR shocks? Wondering how it changed your ride?

I'm interested in reducing body roll / head (passenger type) shake while driving over bumpy roads and surfaces. The stock shocks have quite a bit of bounce, with the body rolling back and forth a lot (either off road or on road over rough surfaces).

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Do you guys have thoughts on the ride quality of these Bilstein 5100s vs stock Rubicon shocks and/or XR shocks? Wondering how it changed your ride?

I'm interested in reducing body roll / head (passenger type) shake while driving over bumpy roads and surfaces. The stock shocks have quite a bit of bounce, with the body rolling back and forth a lot (either off road or on road over rough surfaces).

I went with the rancho 9000XL and put them on setting 4 from the softest setting. They made the Jeep ride more like a regular SUV and eliminated a lot of the head shaking. I used to be big on Bilstein's but their quality has been lackluster from what they used to be!

rcitone

First Name
Wen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Have you installed Bilstein 5100s on your XR? What do you think about the differences with XR shocks? I'm planning to do the same upgrade.

Sponsored

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you installed Bilstein 5100s on your XR? What do you think about the differences with XR shocks? I'm planning to do the same upgrade.
I did, yes! Personally, I love them. I've heard from some that they run firm, but this wasn't my experience at all. If anything, they are softer than stock. Didn't really help with head shake like I was expecting, but they soak up larger bumps much better, and they handle great at highway speeds.

They also provide a lot more flex than stock shocks.

I'm now a happy camper, and combined with 32 PSI in the tires, think I've found my ideal ride quality.

rcitone

First Name
Wen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I did, yes! Personally, I love them. I've heard from some that they run firm, but this wasn't my experience at all. If anything, they are softer than stock. Didn't really help with head shake like I was expecting, but they soak up larger bumps much better, and they handle great at highway speeds.

I'm now a happy camper, and combined with 32 PSI in the tires, think I've found my ideal ride quality.
Nice! Now I'm even more eager to upgrade mine lol

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU

Did you get the 0 to 1.5" longer shocks, or the 2 to 3" longer shocks?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Did you get the 0 to 1.5" longer shocks, or the 2 to 3" longer shocks?
Note, most shock manufacturers are listing a generic recommended lift range and it may not directly correlate with the change to shock length.

While they are more expensive, the 5160 (Remote Reservoir version of the 5100) are awesome. We didn't have any specific complaints with the 5100 and moved to the 5160s for the additional travel and experienced a solid ride quality improvement on and off road. At least something to consider.

Using @AnnDee4444 's spreadsheet, here's a comparison of the XR shocks and the Bilstein options. The 0-1.5s have similar front extension to the XRs, but the 2-3"s look like you'd get some additional flex with no exposure on the bump side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package? 1676385367830

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Note, most shock manufacturers are listing a generic recommended lift range and it may not directly correlate with the change to shock length.

While they are more expensive, the 5160 (Remote Reservoir version of the 5100) are awesome. We didn't have any specific complaints with the 5100 and moved to the 5160s for the additional travel and experienced a solid ride quality improvement on and off road. At least something to consider.

Using @AnnDee4444 's spreadsheet, here's a comparison of the XR shocks and the Bilstein options. The 0-1.5s have similar front extension to the XRs, but the 2-3"s look like you'd get some additional flex with no exposure on the bump side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Bilstein 5100s for JLUR with XR package? 1676385367830
Hey Matt, how much uptravel do you have with your setup, and what’s your ext length ?
Sponsored