Sponsored

which air filter?

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
i searched a little but failed to find the info i was looking for. i’m wondering which air filter i should go with? 99% of driving is to/from work or to taxi kids. i like the idea of a washable filter but don’t have the desire/patience to spend more money on a recharge kit or oil. i plan on keeping the jl for a long time. i believe afe has a reusable filter that doesn’t use oil, correct? also, i don’t want to spend hundreds on this when i could buy paper for $20. not interested in cold air intakes, performance curves or improving my gas mileage by .008 mpg. i just want to take care of the engine. thanks for any info as it’s greatly appreciated 😃
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
i searched a little but failed to find the info i was looking for. i’m wondering which air filter i should go with? 99% of driving is to/from work or to taxi kids. i like the idea of a washable filter but don’t have the desire/patience to spend more money on a recharge kit or oil. i plan on keeping the jl for a long time. i believe afe has a reusable filter that doesn’t use oil, correct? also, i don’t want to spend hundreds on this when i could buy paper for $20. not interested in cold air intakes, performance curves or improving my gas mileage by .008 mpg. i just want to take care of the engine. thanks for any info as it’s greatly appreciated 😃
@nositting

I went with one of these with my 3.6... You wash them out and let them air dry.... No special cleaner needed, and it is a dry, non-oiled filter.

I just use a little Simple Green in water to clean and then rinse. Let air dry.

Price on Amazon right now is reduced... Buy one and it will last the life of your JL.

Pro Dry S, 3 layer dry, for $59
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC59YVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Why not stick with a standard filter? I keep reading that the oil based, recharge type filters actually let larger particulates into the engine than standard, quality, paper filters. But this is probably like arguing about who has the best oil filter or oil.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not stick with a standard filter? I keep reading that the oil based, recharge type filters actually let larger particulates into the engine than standard, quality, paper filters. But this is probably like arguing about who has the best oil filter or oil.
@Friday2322

The filter I suggested is a DRY, non oiled filter.

Benefit of it, is that it is reused over and over and over...

All you do is wash, rinse, dry and reinstall.

Better going this route versus buying many "standard filter" over the long haul...

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
@nositting

I went with one of these... You wash them out and let them air dry.... No special cleaner needed, and it is a dry, non-oiled filter.

I just use a little Simple Green in water to clean and then rinse. Let air dry.

Price on Amazon right now is reduced... Buy one and it will last the life of your JL.

Pro Dry S, 3 layer dry, for $59
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC59YVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool find.. I was looking for this AFE Filter a couple months ago and it was not available... I guess is an new product?.. me want!!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the aFe dry washable. I saw a clearner/degrease test on YouTube and Purple Power kicked butt. Test was for cleaning soot out of my CTD emissions EGR valve and cooler. Nasty stuff that diesel soot and purple power @ 50/50 beat out even Mopars expensive specialty cleaner for soot haha. Bio too.

Last edited:

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Agreed, I'm sticking with OEM.

That's not really a matter of opinion, most high flow filters do let through bigger particles. Unless you increase the size of the filter, it's difficult to design it to allow more air in and filter as efficiently.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the aFe dry washable like above post. I saw a clearner/degrease test on YouTube and Purple Power kicked butt. Test was for cleaning soot out of my CTD emissions EGR valve and cooler. Nasty stuff that diesel soot and purple power @ 50/50 beat out even Mopars expensive specialty cleaner for soot haha. Bio too.
@sourdough

I have not seen that YouTube video but when I cleaned my aFe, I used Purple Power 4319PS Cleaner and Degreaser.. I bought a spray bottle of it on Amazon. Heavily sprayed the filter with it, let it sit for a few minutes and then hosed it off with lots of water.... then let it air dry... Filter came out real clean.

For those interested, I have attached the aFe cleaning instructions in PDF form..

Attachments

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Hey... thanks for the tip.. I see the cone shaped version requires oil... I wonder what the experience is with these versions that use oil.. would oil versions clog more easily?
Don't do oiled in the desert, it turns into a nasty headache. I have the AFE dry one @Rhinebeck01 has and it has been great, takes a while to dry out but I just clean it when I do my oil changes/ tire rotation. Your choice but I used to run the K&N oiled ones on other desert offroad vehicles and they were a PITA because the dirt turns into a nasty, oily, caked on crust.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Agreed, I'm sticking with OEM.

That's not really a matter of opinion, most high flow filters do let through bigger particles. Unless you increase the size of the filter, it's difficult to design it to allow more air in and filter as efficiently.
It’s not only difficult, it’s impossible.

Wix or Napa gold filters do me just fine.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
@Friday2322

The filter I suggested is a DRY, non oiled filter.

Benefit of it, is that it is reused over and over and over...

All you do is wash, rinse, dry and reinstall.

Better going this route versus buying many "standard filter" over the long haul...

And FYI that DRY non oiled filter is suggested only for “non dusty environments “ by the manufacture afe.

I was going to go with one until I read that. It tends to be quite dusty where I wheel and I’d rather throw $20 at a paper 5 times in a hundred thousand miles than do any engine damage from a higher flowing (and less efficient at actually filtering) air filter.

✌

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
"Comprised of multiple layers of synthetic media, the Pro DRY S offers excellent filtration efficiency and protection for street and light off-road driving conditions. Requiring no oils, it’s our easiest to maintain performance air filter.

99.2% Filtration Efficiency"

Then their graphs that show it has the lowest dust capacity of their available options.

Not sure if they ever say it explicitly.
Sponsored