Sponsored

Which aftermarket backup camera for aftermarket head unit?

OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Thanks again! I think I’m going to go with the Kenwood and hopefully everything is retained and goes well.
I lost the music information from the stock information screen between the gauges but retained most everything else and gained a few extra button functions. The camera is not as good as the stock one. The image quality is poor and the stock camera had a great wide angle view for peeking around adjacent vehicles while backing out.
Sponsored

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I lost the music information from the stock information screen between the gauges but retained most everything else and gained a few extra button functions. The camera is not as good as the stock one. The image quality is poor and the stock camera had a great wide angle view for peeking around adjacent vehicles while backing out.
I have a sport, so I really don’t have much of screen info to begin with, so that’s doable. Sucks about the camera.... I guess for $19 what can you say? But, you didn’t have any issues doing a forest replacement of the stock camera?

xrecar

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Thanks again! I think I’m going to go with the Kenwood and hopefully everything is retained and goes well.
If you are referring to the DMX706s or DMX7706s, then you should be just fine. The DMX706s is what I installed in my buddies JLU and everything worked with the Maestro just fine. The only things we ran into were not being able to integrate the OEM backup camera (which is a problem with most of the aftermarket radios) and we had to run an XM antenna because his Jeep was not equipped with one from the factory. Outside of that it was pretty smooth! The DMX7706s should be no different, there is very little difference between the two, just 5V RCA outputs and an extra year of warranty if installed by an authorized dealer.

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
If you are referring to the DMX706s or DMX7706s, then you should be just fine. The DMX706s is what I installed in my buddies JLU and everything worked with the Maestro just fine. The only things we ran into were not being able to integrate the OEM backup camera (which is a problem with most of the aftermarket radios) and we had to run an XM antenna because his Jeep was not equipped with one from the factory. Outside of that it was pretty smooth! The DMX7706s should be no different, there is very little difference between the two, just 5V RCA outputs and an extra year of warranty if installed by an authorized dealer.
Yes, that’s what I’m referring too. Ok, great! I called them (the shop) and they were still saying everything should be good.... I already have a deposit down, so I would need that back to order the Kenwood. They said if it doesn’t work out, then we’ll go with the Kenwood, no charge of course. I just don’t want my time wasted, but if it just so happens to be a miracle, I will be sure to update you either way.

Molson123123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Following this thread, thanks for the information. I plan to do either the Kenwood or pioneer soon. I’ve done a bunch in JK’s but none in JL. Can’t pull trigger on Alpine restyle…for that kind of $ to not have wireless CarPlay and to have to re-wire center console USB seems asinine to me. Was wondering, though, if anyone has found a good backup camera to fit in factory position, or if there is a module to convert signal so as to be able to use the current camera. I didn’t think I’d like a backup camera but I actually do and don’t want a crappy one put in there.

Sponsored

xrecar

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following this thread, thanks for the information. I plan to do either the Kenwood or pioneer soon. I’ve done a bunch in JK’s but none in JL. Can’t pull trigger on Alpine restyle…for that kind of $ to not have wireless CarPlay and to have to re-wire center console USB seems asinine to me. Was wondering, though, if anyone has found a good backup camera to fit in factory position, or if there is a module to convert signal so as to be able to use the current camera. I didn’t think I’d like a backup camera but I actually do and don’t want a crappy one put in there.
I understand what you mean on the Alpine restyle. I just don't think I would ever be comfortable with driving with no top and no doors with a $3k radio out in the open for someone to see and potentially feel like they need it more than I do!

As far as a module to convert the backup camera signal, I know people have found one on one of the import sites (I believe it was aliexpress) that is supposed to work. I don't know if anyone has actually gotten one and verified that it does work. Its about $80 if I recall correctly. Clearly it can be done because the Alpine unit does it and the Insane Audio unit also is supposed to work with the OEM camera.

In the case of my buddies JLU, he picked up one of the cameras that uses the metal ring that mounts behind the spare ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_212CRF8846/Brandmotion-CRFD-8846.html?tp=83 ). It was originally made for the JK. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the JL because of the center hole being too small. It wouldn't fit over the part that extends out where the OEM camera was. I ended up taking the camera out of that mount and after disassembling the oem camera, I made it work. I wasn't really a fan of how it was mounted, but he was happy with it, so we left it. Its done just fine so far.

I have the same camera setup that I had on my JKU and I intend to take another shot at it with mine, but I plan to see how else I may be able to mount it. EDIT: Earlier in this thread, the OP recommended a camera from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P45P7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as being able to directly replace it, but until I have time to pull it all apart, I cannot confirm or deny that. I did buy one of those with the intent to see if its possible as well. Between the two, I will make one of them work. Unfortunately, right now I am a bit limited on time to work on it, not to mention the weather isn't friendly at the moment.

Last edited:

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Update: Went with the Alpine, as @xrecar stated, the harness didn’t work for the steering wheel controls, though I have a sport, so I’m only missing out on the volume controls and voice controls. They did say that, they (the shop), will call Alpine for some kind of flash code to see if that’ll get it to work... so we’ll see. As for the camera, I purchased the backup camera the OP posted and for it being 20, I’ll say it’s not that bad and I’m content with it. I think the guide lines on it is gaudy as hell, but alpine system gives you an option to turn them on or off. It was a direct replacement for the OEM. All in all, besides the iDatalink module for the steering wheel controls, all went well.

B717FF55-2EFE-4338-B68F-498822D38E6B.jpeg

xrecar

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Went with the Alpine, as @xrecar stated, the harness didn’t work for the steering wheel controls, though I have a sport, so I’m only missing out on the volume controls and voice controls. They did say that, they (the shop), will call Alpine for some kind of flash code to see if that’ll get it to work... so we’ll see. As for the camera, I purchased the backup camera the OP posted and for it being 20, I’ll say it’s not that bad and I’m content with it. I think the guide lines on it is gaudy as hell, but alpine system gives you an option to turn them on or off. It was a direct replacement for the OEM. All in all, besides the iDatalink module for the steering wheel controls, all went well.

Nice! Glad it ended up working out for the most part. Let me know if they have any success with getting the steering wheel controls to work. I decided to go with the Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX. I haven't installed it just yet, I am currently working on the mounting. I got tired of waiting on the Metra kit and began working on a 3d printed kit. I have the LCD mount designed, printed and have confirmed it fits correctly. I am working on a mount for the hide away module for under the steering column. Once I have that nailed down, I just need to print it along with the LCD mount in ABS and I will be ready for the install.

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Nice! Glad it ended up working out for the most part. Let me know if they have any success with getting the steering wheel controls to work. I decided to go with the Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX. I haven't installed it just yet, I am currently working on the mounting. I got tired of waiting on the Metra kit and began working on a 3d printed kit. I have the LCD mount designed, printed and have confirmed it fits correctly. I am working on a mount for the hide away module for under the steering column. Once I have that nailed down, I just need to print it along with the LCD mount in ABS and I will be ready for the install.
You need to come through here in Pittsburgh without that knowledge and skill! Haha. So the code is a no-go, but we all knew that outcome. They’re going to swap it out for the Pioneer DMX-7706s, which I told them to go with in the first place, but whatever. I’ll post up new pics then. Slated for March 7th. Though, minus the steering wheel controls, everything is still working fine. Don’t mind the quality of the backup camera either.

Sponsored

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler

Did you have to run new cables (RCA and power) for the new camera installation? And was it easy if so. Thanks

xrecar

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have to run new cables (RCA and power) for the new camera installation? And was it easy if so. Thanks
Obviously, I didn't work on his vehicle, but I can tell you from installing one for my buddy already that you do have to run new wiring from the aftermarket camera up to the radio. As far as ease is concerned, as someone who has done mobile audio work for a long time, it wasn't really that bad. Take your time and follow the factory routing for the wiring and its not really a problem for someone that's good with their hands.
Sponsored