Sponsored

Which aftermarket backup camera for aftermarket head unit?

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I remember reading somewhere here that there is an aftermarket backup camera available on amzn that fits nicely in our stock location and has an rca termination ready to plug straight into a Kenwood radio. Unfortunately i cant find the post.
Anybody know?
Sponsored

Wa-stinggray

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
How hard was it to run the line back to the camera? What headunit did you go with and how did it go? I hate not having CarPlay and a tiny screen. I’m guessing the maestro plugin and a new camera would work well.
i chose a Kenwood DMX7706s.
running the camera line is easy. Replacing the stereo is not. The maestro works well with a few pros and cons. It is nice to have the freedom to reprogram the steering wheel buttons and add press and hold features to each button. But, i no longer have music information in the screen between my gauges.

Wa-stinggray

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
i chose a Kenwood DMX7706s.
running the camera line is easy. Replacing the stereo is not. The maestro works well with a few pros and cons. It is nice to have the freedom to reprogram the steering wheel buttons and add press and hold features to each button. But, i no longer have music information in the screen between my gauges.
Awesome, that’s the deck I was looking at also. Any main reason it was hard to install? I have pulled the headunit out once before when doing amp and sub.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
There isnt a kit yet, you will have to modify your existing bezel and build your own brackets.
This is how i did it.

upload_2020-1-16_19-39-57.jpeg

Wa-stinggray

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I might wait until the new adapter kit can be ordered since it sounds like it should be soon.

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I’m getting an alpine ILX-W650 installed on Feb 8th. Here’s the install product list with serial numbers. I’m looking to get that backup camera that was suggested and hopefully they’ll just swap as “Go Outside” stated.

B6E137DA-EDE6-4D9A-808F-10AE4C7235E2.jpeg

xrecar

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I’m getting an alpine ILX-W650 installed on Feb 8th. Here’s the install product list with serial numbers. I’m looking to get that backup camera that was suggested and hopefully they’ll just swap as “Go Outside” stated.

B6E137DA-EDE6-4D9A-808F-10AE4C7235E2.jpeg
You might want to have them double check that setup. The Alpine ILX-W650 does not support the iDatalink Maestro. I was planning to go that route, but that put a stop to it. I even spoke with iDatalink support in hopes I could still use the Maestro but just not have the vehicle information, like gauges and that sort of thing, and was led to believe that it would not work. If the shop you are dealing with can make that work, I would love to hear details.

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
You might want to have them double check that setup. The Alpine ILX-W650 does not support the iDatalink Maestro. I was planning to go that route, but that put a stop to it. I even spoke with iDatalink support in hopes I could still use the Maestro but just not have the vehicle information, like gauges and that sort of thing, and was led to believe that it would not work. If the shop you are dealing with can make that work, I would love to hear details.
I honestly think that they’re (iDataLink) unsure about their own products, in regards to the JL maybe just being too new, though it’s been out for three years already. The shop I’m dealing with, the employee called them as well, and the support rep “assured” her that everything should work, with the exception of the backup camera. Now if you go on crutchfield’s website, whenever you configure your trim and pick out which radio you like, they have a pop up that will include all the wiring and tell you what will factory features would be retained. I will double check though and keep you posted.

Sponsored

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
You may be right...I was looking at a Best Buy review for it, but for a JK, and the reviewer stated they went with: PAC RP4-CH11. They state that they experienced a hissing noise, though it seems like they have a more complete sound system setup, i.e., amp, subs. I’ll tell the shop about this information.

xrecar

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the problem with the Maestro is that it has special connections that are required on the radio for it to function. Once I was told the Maestro wouldn't work, I checked PAC as well as I had used a RP4-CH11 in a previous vehicle and it worked well. I was disappointed to see that they didn't have an option for the JL too (other than the amp interface).

I was really hoping that Alpine would announce another short chassis radio that does support the Maestro at CES this year. The only thing I have been able to find any news about was a 11ish inch floating model that they say will eventually support the Maestro, but I suspect it would be too deep for the JL dash anyway.

I hope you find a way to make it work, but if not, there are other options. Kenwood has a couple short chassis models (I installed one of those in a buddies 19 JLU), Pioneer has the modular model, and they have a couple new short chassis models that should be out around March from what I can tell. I got tired of waiting and decided to go with the Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX. I am currently working on designing a kit for it now since the only word from Metra on their kit was "soon".

Definitely let me know how it goes. If they find a way to make it work, that would be great!

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Yeah, the problem with the Maestro is that it has special connections that are required on the radio for it to function. Once I was told the Maestro wouldn't work, I checked PAC as well as I had used a RP4-CH11 in a previous vehicle and it worked well. I was disappointed to see that they didn't have an option for the JL too (other than the amp interface).

I was really hoping that Alpine would announce another short chassis radio that does support the Maestro at CES this year. The only thing I have been able to find any news about was a 11ish inch floating model that they say will eventually support the Maestro, but I suspect it would be too deep for the JL dash anyway.

I hope you find a way to make it work, but if not, there are other options. Kenwood has a couple short chassis models (I installed one of those in a buddies 19 JLU), Pioneer has the modular model, and they have a couple new short chassis models that should be out around March from what I can tell. I got tired of waiting and decided to go with the Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX. I am currently working on designing a kit for it now since the only word from Metra on their kit was "soon".

Definitely let me know how it goes. If they find a way to make it work, that would be great!
Thanks for the information! Kind of a shame I have to do my own research for something that they, whom are professionals, didn’t do. I guess that puts me back to square one, I suppose.

xrecar

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, they should be on top of things. Unfortunately, things are not like they used to be. In my area, I find the people that sell the stuff don't even know the products they sell very well, much less the vehicles. I know that's not the case of every shop, as I have dealt with shops out of state and some of them are on top of their game, but I don't find that to be the case where I am.

If I can help in any way, let me know!

2new4JayLU

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thanks again! I think I’m going to go with the Kenwood and hopefully everything is retained and goes well.
Sponsored