imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I know that the new diesel has a built in (well), Everything, but can i get a whistle or a whoosh from time to time so i can hear that blowoff valve release even just a little more than a Spppff.? BTW, this was a partly serious question.
Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
You would need a wastegate. These diesels don't have a wastegate with the VGT.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
You would need a wastegate. These diesels don't have a wastegate with the VGT.
Wastegate and blow-off valves are 2 different things. A wastegate doesn’t produce any sound unless it’s a divorced gate that vents to the atmosphere, AKA damn loud exhaust sounds. You are correct, the VGT negates the need for a wastegate on the diesels.

A blow-off valve is on the intake side of the turbo. It releases boost pressure when the throttle body plate slams shut when you let off the throttle. The blow-off opens at that point, creating the big whoosh/whistle/chirp through the valve/sound device. Diesels don’t have a blow-off valve (no throttle plate closing) unless you’ve got a huge turbo and huge HP motor. Those compressor surge just due to the fact they might be pushing around 100psi of boost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
imjester77

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well then, ok! I had no idea coming from a gas turbo generation I assumed they were all the same eg. waste gates and blow off valves. Learn something new every day!

thanks for the responses!

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Wastegate and blow-off valves are 2 different things. A wastegate doesn’t produce any sound unless it’s a divorced gate that vents to the atmosphere, AKA damn loud exhaust sounds. You are correct, the VGT negates the need for a wastegate on the diesels.

A blow-off valve is on the intake side of the turbo. It releases boost pressure when the throttle body plate slams shut when you let off the throttle. The blow-off opens at that point, creating the big whoosh/whistle/chirp through the valve/sound device. Diesels don’t have a blow-off valve (no throttle plate closing) unless you’ve got a huge turbo and huge HP motor. Those compressor surge just due to the fact they might be pushing around 100psi of boost.
You just shattered 3/10 of my favorite dreams :( oh well thanks for the information, this forum teaches me something new everyday!