Sponsored

Where to off road when visiting Las Vegas...

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
I didn’t post this in the regional forums, because those forums are ghost towns, and I would actually like some advice before I go...

So the first week of April my wife and I are going to Vegas for a week. We don’t drink or gamble, just going to get away for a week. We plan to do a fair bit of off roading.

One thing to note, is she doesn’t do dropoffs. If you can look off the edge of the road and see imminent death, we don’t take the road. I wanted to go see Striped Butte and the Geologist’s Cabin, but I think she would freak out on the mountain passes.

One day I know we will be going down to Badwater Basin.
That leaves a lot of days of off roading to be had.

What do you all from the Vegas area suggest? I don’t know what is good to see and I am open to suggestions.
Sponsored

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
Check out Nelson Nevada. Lots to trails and a old town to visit.
Goodsprings a great place too.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a trail at Red Rock Canyon.

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Look into Gold Butte, which is near Mesquite about 80 miles north of Las Vegas. Lots of trails with various difficulty

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
One thing to note, is she doesn’t do dropoffs. If you can look off the edge of the road and see imminent death, we don’t take the road. I wanted to go see Striped Butte and the Geologist’s Cabin, but I think she would freak out on the mountain passes.
If you are ever in the Silverton, CO, area don't take your wife down Black Bear Pass!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Woo hoo! Thanks mods!
Guess you missed the first statement in this thread.

Moved to the forum where threads die a slow death. Guess it’s back to Tacomaworld to find out where to go off roading since it’ll never be seen here in this ghost town.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Too bad about the dropoffs. I enjoyed Titus Canyon when I was out there last year.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I wheeled up to the pass in Red Rock Canyon in a rental Jeep Wrangler. The normal loop through Red Rock is awesome all by itself just for the views, The road up to the pass is very doable in a stock sport. here are pics from the trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road when visiting Las Vegas... 1616499169107

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road when visiting Las Vegas... 1616499208690

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road when visiting Las Vegas... 1616499243785

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road when visiting Las Vegas... 1616499278955

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road when visiting Las Vegas... 1616499313910

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road when visiting Las Vegas... 1616499363153

Also if your out there, just take a drive through Zion National Park. It is worth the trip and you will be on black top the whole way.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Also the Valley of Fire is worth the drive. Not trails driving, but hey it is worth the trip also. My wife and I fly to Vegas and rent a convertible camero, mustang or Jeeps and drive a couple thousand miles sight seeing. I don't know how much time you have so it it hard to point you in the right direction, but here are some more...

Death Valley is awesome, Bryce Canyon if you guys hike, Valley of the Gods if you have the time. Let me know how much time you have and I can give you some spots that we have really enjoyed over the years.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Also the Valley of Fire is worth the drive. Not trails driving, but hey it is worth the trip also. My wife and I fly to Vegas and rent a convertible camero, mustang or Jeeps and drive a couple thousand miles sight seeing. I don't know how much time you have so it it hard to point you in the right direction, but here are some more...

Death Valley is awesome, Bryce Canyon if you guys hike, Valley of the Gods if you have the time. Let me know how much time you have and I can give you some spots that we have really enjoyed over the years.
We will be there for a week. That said, we want to return to base camp every night. :)

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Obviously I'm late to the party here but maybe this can help some other people...

Wibornz posted pics of Rocky Gap, which was briefly a badge of honor trail. You can enter through Red Rock Canyon or the back way through Lovell Canyon road. Its mostly easy but on the Lovell side, you have to go through the wash. At times it can get kinda rough. The trail splits off at various points and you can stay in the wash or get on the maintained road. If you want it to be a real challenge, it can be.

Wheeler's Pass is up north off 95. There's a town called Cold Creek by the entrance. There can be a lot of snow up there at times. I've been up there after fresh snow and it was not passable. Summer-early winter is usually not a problem for a stock rig though. It exits in Pahrump, so you can go check out the brothels.

There's another trail off 160 just before Spring Mountain that heads south to Goodsprings, NV. The Pioneer Saloon is out there which is a pretty cool place to visit. Lots of music videos have been filmed out there. Its a popular spot for the SxS and Jeep groups to go. You can hop on I-15 afterwards and head right back up to Vegas.

Valley of Fire is cool to drive through. A little farther up is Zion and Bryce Canyon. Those wouldnt really be day trips though.

Nelson is south of Boulder City and there are some mines and trails out there. Some lead to the river. They're pretty easy for a stock rig but they get washboarded pretty bad.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Obviously I'm late to the party here but maybe this can help some other people...

Wibornz posted pics of Rocky Gap, which was briefly a badge of honor trail. You can enter through Red Rock Canyon or the back way through Lovell Canyon road. Its mostly easy but on the Lovell side, you have to go through the wash. At times it can get kinda rough. The trail splits off at various points and you can stay in the wash or get on the maintained road. If you want it to be a real challenge, it can be.

Wheeler's Pass is up north off 95. There's a town called Cold Creek by the entrance. There can be a lot of snow up there at times. I've been up there after fresh snow and it was not passable. Summer-early winter is usually not a problem for a stock rig though. It exits in Pahrump, so you can go check out the brothels.

There's another trail off 160 just before Spring Mountain that heads south to Goodsprings, NV. The Pioneer Saloon is out there which is a pretty cool place to visit. Lots of music videos have been filmed out there. Its a popular spot for the SxS and Jeep groups to go. You can hop on I-15 afterwards and head right back up to Vegas.

Valley of Fire is cool to drive through. A little farther up is Zion and Bryce Canyon. Those wouldnt really be day trips though.

Nelson is south of Boulder City and there are some mines and trails out there. Some lead to the river. They're pretty easy for a stock rig but they get washboarded pretty bad.
You can also hit up Death Valley. It just depends on how much time you have. I have done Zion and Bryce Canyon many times. They are both worth a visit. Zion is one of my favorite National Parks and we have done many of the hikes. If you do choose to do Angels Landing I would suggest that you start very early.... 6 or 7 am. The rocks and chains get very warm in the afternoon.

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
The trip was a bummer. Second night there my wife ate something that made her extremely ill. We drove home the next morning. Never took the Jeep off pavement. Might head back out toward Death Valley this fall. if we do, the plan is to stay here: https://homewoodcabin.com/cabin-rentals.php
Sponsored