Where to off road in the Tampa Bay area

bless0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
I am new to this JEEP thing and i am looking for a spot where i can go off road a bit and get the JEEP dirty. I want to take my daughter and let her drive as well. I am looking for something not too technical. I can get to the Ocala national forest or Withlacoochee state forest pretty easily, but i have no idea where to go at those locations. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
there's a badge you can get in Ocala. if you stick to the main trails its not very complicated at all. it would be a nice introduction for her. side trails get a bit narrow so be careful on those. the area is patrolled very well by rangers and military (?).

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road in the Tampa Bay area MS4OLc4

there's a few entrances off of 40
Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road in the Tampa Bay area rhPArdv

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I just looked at the Withlacoochee area the other day. I think this will be my next place I go off road in FL. Do some checking I believe you may be able to get a map at a ranger station, and I believe they have a map on a large board once you get in the park area (Most parks, WMA's in FL do) If they do you can take a couple pic.s with our phone.

I want to say on their website they might have had a map also. going off memory, at work right now, will have to check again later.

Either way I don't think you can really get lost out there. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas, lots of water and food. Also I watched video of Withlacoochee and some of the holes were pretty deep, so be careful in some of the areas as to not get stuck. A recovery rope and winch would be a plus. Or maybe just not tackle some of the deeper holes.

Be careful, have fun!

What dpike said also. Just did this trail 5 days ago, and got my first BOH. Stay on the main road, it's a bunch of sugar sand and some holes. Go off the main road though and be prepared for some scratches on your Jeep unless you protect it first.

TampaDiesel

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Is there a trail map app or online map to plan with?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at the Withlacoochee area the other day. I think this will be my next place I go off road in FL. Do some checking I believe you may be able to get a map at a ranger station, and I believe they have a map on a large board once you get in the park area (Most parks, WMA's in FL do) If they do you can take a couple pic.s with our phone.

I want to say on their website they might have had a map also. going off memory, at work right now, will have to check again later.

Either way I don't think you can really get lost out there. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas, lots of water and food. Also I watched video of Withlacoochee and some of the holes were pretty deep, so be careful in some of the areas as to not get stuck. A recovery rope and winch would be a plus. Or maybe just not tackle some of the deeper holes.

Be careful, have fun!

What dpike said also. Just did this trail 5 days ago, and got my first BOH. Stay on the main road, it's a bunch of sugar sand and some holes. Go off the main road though and be prepared for some scratches on your Jeep unless you protect it first.
Is there a trail map app or online map to plan with?
Let me know when you’re coming, I live across the street, and the wife and I been running those trails for years, if I’m not working we could meet up with you if you want……… most of the fun spots are off limits now, but still better than nothing.

Right now most of the mud holes are dried up, not much rain here lately. There’s drive around at all mud holes, so no worries there. Also it’s a big square grid, can’t really get lost, just might take the long way around sometimes….✌

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road in the Tampa Bay area 136BEA5A-9B2A-472D-8E9F-8DB6015751EF

TampaDiesel

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Let me know when you’re coming, I live across the street, and the wife and I been running those trails for years, if I’m not working we could meet up with you if you want……… most of the fun spots are off limits now, but still better than nothing.

Right now most of the mud holes are dried up, not much rain here lately. There’s drive around at all mud holes, so no worries there. Also it’s a big square grid, can’t really get lost, just might take the long way around sometimes….✌

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to off road in the Tampa Bay area 136BEA5A-9B2A-472D-8E9F-8DB6015751EF
We're taking delivery of our Rubi soon, I'll touch base when we're scheduling a ride up there.

OP
OP
bless0

bless0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
Where exactly do you enter the Withlacoochee park to access the trails. I ride my harley up thru that area all the time. I am usually on Stage Coach and 491. I see cars parked on the side of the road all the time, and folks walking into the woods. I have no idea where to access the trails for the jeep.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Where exactly do you enter the Withlacoochee park to access the trails. I ride my harley up thru that area all the time. I am usually on Stage Coach and 491. I see cars parked on the side of the road all the time, and folks walking into the woods. I have no idea where to access the trails for the jeep.
There are several but 4 main ones. Trail 13 off of Stage Coach there’s a sign that says Tillis Hill campground. Trail 10 off of 581 ( Pleasant Grove Rd ) trail 16 also off of 581. And the other end of trail 13 off of highway 44.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bless0

bless0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
There are several but 4 main ones. Trail 13 off of Stage Coach there’s a sign that says Tillis Hill campground. Trail 10 off of 581 ( Pleasant Grove Rd ) trail 16 also off of 581. And the other end of trail 13 off of highway 44.
Thanks for the info Roky

TampaDiesel

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Anyone wheeling in Croom today? Where is the best spot to enter the trails?

Blanco Willys

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
The general store is nice to visit and get ice cream and candy.

2C1A652F-6DBE-49F4-9514-29CA127801A0.jpeg
Sponsored