Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2dr Rubicon 6spd and looking to get 4.88 gears installed. I’ve done pretty much everything there is to do to a car/truck as far as mods are concerned but I’ve never done a gear swap. With that being said I feel like there’s a going on here that can go wrong with tolerance’s/torque ranges etc. I’m located in central Ohio and looking for a professional/experienced shop to do the install. I wouldn’t mind traveling to a near by state if I have to. So does anybody know of any reputable shops on this side of the country?
Sponsored

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you were in Michigan, everyone goes to Ken's Kar Kare in Fowler Michigan.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2dr Rubicon 6spd and looking to get 4.88 gears installed. I’ve done pretty much everything there is to do to a car/truck as far as mods are concerned but I’ve never done a gear swap. With that being said I feel like there’s a going on here that can go wrong with tolerance’s/torque ranges etc. I’m located in central Ohio and looking for a professional/experienced shop to do the install. I wouldn’t mind traveling to a near by state if I have to. So does anybody know of any reputable shops on this side of the country?
Check with @chevymitchell, he made an excellent how to write up with pictures, here on the forum.

OP
OP
Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Check with @chevymitchell, he made an excellent how to write up with pictures, here on the forum.
Thank you, I saw his write-up and read it a few times great job @chevymitchell and even watched Dana/Spicer’s How-to video on YouTube. It’s just something I don’t want to take on at this time.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, I saw his write-up and read it a few times great job @chevymitchell and even watched Dana/Spicer’s How-to video on YouTube. It’s just something I don’t want to take on at this time.
I hear you, I’m thinking about attempting it, I’ve worked on engines all my life up until the computers took over. Now instead of coveralls and a grease rag, you need a white coat, rubber gloves, and a clean room to work on them,lol. But... I haven’t been in a differential other than to change fluid so it’ll be new territory for me......:)

OP
OP
Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you, I’m thinking about attempting it, I’ve worked on engines all my life up until the computers took over. Now instead of coveralls and a grease rag, you need a white coat, rubber gloves, and a clean room to work on them,lol. But... I haven’t been in a differential other than to change fluid so it’ll be new territory for me......:)
Lab coat & rubber gloves Hahahah, If this wasn’t my daily driver I’d probably tackle it and just take my time. I would just have more peace of mind having someone who’s done a few gear swaps under their belt do it.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hey guys. The Gear swap itself isn't difficult and if you're mechanically inclined, it's a job you can do. If it's your first set of gears, it can be an intimidating task. However, if you spend the time to collect the proper tooling and allow yourself a full 2 days to perform the job, you can do it. It's that old saying of time is money, right? The tolerances themselves are easy to obtain and they're not difficult to adjust if need be.

One big problem a lot of people run into when doing this themselves is obtaining all the tooling. There are a few special tools you'll need to get and don't buy cheap. There are a ton of shops that do gears and the most efficient shops can perform this job in 4-8 hours depending on if they have one tech on each axle or not.

I recommend only using OEM Master Installation Kits. The etch on the pinions will likely come in as zero etch from DANA and that will provide you with an install where no shim adjustments will be needed (most likely). I picked my gears and kits up from East Coast Gear Supply out of Raleigh.

I'm not sure how far you are from Kernersville, NC, but you're welcome to come use the lift, tools, and garage. I can walk you through the job. I work from home when I'm not traveling and would have zero issues helping someone motivated and willing to work on their own Jeep.

Last edited:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. The Gear swap itself isn't difficult and if you're mechanically inclined, it's a job you can do. If it's your first set of gears, it can be an intimidating task. However, if you spend the time to collect the proper tooling and allow yourself a full 2 days to perform the job, you can do it. It's that old saying of time is money, right? The tolerances themselves are easy to obtain and they're not difficult to adjust if need be.

One big problem a lot of people run into when doing this themselves is obtaining all the tooling. There are a few special tools you'll need to get and don't buy cheap. There a ton of shops that do gears and the most efficient shops can perform this job in 4-8 hours depending on if they have one tech on each axle.

I recommend only using OEM Master Installation Kits. The etch on the pinions will likely come in as zero etch from DANA and that will provide you with an install where no shim adjustments will be needed. I picked my gears and kits up from East Coast Gear Supply out of Raleigh.

I'm not sure how far you are from Kernersville, NC, but you're welcome to come use the lift, tools, and garage. I can walk you through the job. I work from home when I'm not traveling and would have zero issues helping someone motivated and willing to work on their own Jeep.
If I still lived in NC (Camp Lejeune) I’d be over in a heartbeat to learn. Very cool!