Where to get basic windshield replacement for $300 or less

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota in the past, just started owning a JL :D
I have searched the keywords for windshield replacement, called a few places recommended by the forum for quotes. But so far no luck finding any shop (in CA bay area) who can replace my windshield for less than $400 (2019 Rubicon 4 door, no Safety Group/ACC/FCW etc.). All I hope to get is basic (doesn't need to be OEM) windshield, no logo needed, May even consider a refurbished one. I don't have comprehensive coverage because my insurance company doesn't offer 0-deductible for windshield anyway (May have to switch to one that offers in the future :D
Someone mentioned they paid less than $200 at All Star Glass, but their new quote is way over that price.

Could anyone please share recent experience with inexpensive windshield replacement? Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rubicali

Call Joe, at Universal Auto Glass Ph. 510-695-8477 . He is in either Newark or Fremont.

Anyway, give him a call. I have used him a couple of times (not on a JL) and he is an aok guy and his prices are very very good..

He shows up at your place in a Van and he has a helper. He does good, clean work. IF he doesn't travel to San Jose, you can probably meet him somewhere. He has been in business in the area for a few years now. Has a good reputation and stands by his installs. No he is not my cousin.. 8-)

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rubicali

Call Joe, at Universal Auto Glass Ph. 510-695-8477 . He is in either Newark or Fremont.

Anyway, give him a call. I have used him a couple of times (not on a JL) and he is an aok guy and his prices are very very good..

He shows up at your place in a Van and he has a helper. He does good, clean work. IF he doesn't travel to San Jose, you can probably meet him somewhere. He has been in business in the area for a few years now. Has a good reputation and stands by his installs. No he is not my cousin.. 8-)

Thanks for the recommendation :) Will give them a call.

I wonder if some shops' system assumes all 2019+ Rubicons have Safety Group and therefore requires a more expensive windshield when they give the quote?

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Thanks for the recommendation :) Will give them a call.

I wonder if some shops' system assumes all 2019+ Rubicons have Safety Group and therefore requires a more expensive windshield when they give the quote?
There are two safety groups. Basic: comes with Blind Spot Detection and Reverse sensors. Advanced: comes with Basic Safety plus Adaptive Cruise, Automatic Braking and Automatic High Beams.

I have the Basic one only. Does that system require anything specific added to the windshield also?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are two safety groups. Basic: comes with Blind Spot Detection and Reverse sensors. Advanced: comes with Basic Safety plus Adaptive Cruise, Automatic Braking and Automatic High Beams.

I have the Basic one only. Does that system require anything specific added to the windshield also?
@Punjabi New Yorker

Basic does not ... you just replace the windshield and that is it..

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yet another reason for me to not buy the Advanced Group for my future Jeeps. :piggybank:
Haha, same here. When choosing between having the Advanced Safety vs. not, I had the feeling that more safety features will eventually translate into higher cost somewhere, maybe sensor replacement, computer complexity etc. Now windshield is another factor to add. :D

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Haha, same here. When choosing between having the Advanced Safety vs. not, I had the feeling that more safety features will eventually translate into higher cost somewhere, maybe sensor replacement, computer complexity etc. Now windshield is another factor to add. :D
I however like the Basic Safety package. It helps me park in tight spaces in Manhattan and Brooklyn in rain or snow where the rear camera may be fogged. But can I live without it? Most likely yes!

BobWBristolRI

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC, 2017 JGC, 2020 Wr JL
Occupation
Hard. It’s Work, isn’t it?
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the dopey Q (in advance), but what do any of those 'advanced' items have to do with the front windshield glass replacement? Wouldn't even auto high beams have to be controlled by a forward looking camera, not the actual front windshield glass?

Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
My insurance (State Farm) says my choice, either $100 deductible or $5 every 6 months for full coverage on windshields. That's what I'll be doing - whenever my JLUR gets here.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the dopey Q (in advance), but what do any of those 'advanced' items have to do with the front windshield glass replacement? Wouldn't even auto high beams have to be controlled by a forward looking camera, not the actual front windshield glass?
Not at all dopey! Questions are the spark that ignites knowledge. The advanced safety group includes the forward facing camera and sensors, that you mentioned. But unlike all other vehicles, Jeep had to place them behind the top middle part of the windshield. This is because of how common it is for Jeeps to have their bumpers switched out and winches and lights added that would most likely block the traditional locations of the camera and sensors.
Jeep Wrangler JL Where to get basic windshield replacement for $300 or less 1598365333542
Jeep Wrangler JL Where to get basic windshield replacement for $300 or less 1598365488167

OP
OP
rubicali

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01
Thanks a lot for recommending Joe ( Universal Auto Glass Ph. 510-695-8477 ). He did a great job helping me pick a windshield and installing it! :clap: Very easy to work with and the price is definitely the best among all the shops I've called for quotes. I ended up getting an aftermarket windshield with no logo from him.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01
Thanks a lot for recommending Joe ( Universal Auto Glass Ph. 510-695-8477 ). He did a great job helping me pick a windshield and installing it! :clap: Very easy to work with and the price is definitely the best among all the shops I've called for quotes. I ended up getting an aftermarket windshield with no logo from him.
@rubicali

Good news! Hey if you miss the the little Jeep on the windshield, you can get a decal to put there.
You can't really tell the difference between the decal and the Jeep embedded in the glass.

StaindReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 crew cab black out
I just got my windshield replaced at Safelite Now that I look at it afterwards does it look like I’m missing something around the outside like a trim piece or seal I never thought to look before I took it but now that I have it fixed it seems like I’m missing something here is a picture Can someone look at there’s and see if same?
Sponsored