Sponsored

Where to find fun places to off-road (and not get in trouble)?

MDawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe, 2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I just bought a new Jeep for my daughter's 16th birthday last week, and liked it so much driving it across country that I ordered myself one the day after I got back. I don't know the first thing about off-roading, but I am really excited to learn. I'm wondering about some of these websites that have trail guides and places to go off-roading. Are they worth a membership? In particular I see one called AllTrails.com. Is this a good site, or is there something better. I am all ears if people have advice for me. Thanks!
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Unfortunately, you live in Texas, where we don't believe in "public lands", so your options are slightly limited.

Near you, the best option would be in Sam Houston National Forest - there are tons of forest roads in there that you can drive on.

Otherwise, there are a handful of off-road parks sprinkled across the state. Closest to you would probably be Hidden Falls and Barnwell Mountain.

Best advice would be to jump over to FB and find a few local Jeep clubs. They'll be more local people who can meet up and run trails with you, etc. This forum is superior for general Jeep conversations, but the local groups are better for finding trails/groups to go with, IMO.

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
To be honest, I've never joined a "Jeep club", or done any guided trips... probably should, but that did not keep me from enjoying the trails.

You have some off road parks close, though. General Sam's, Creekside Off Road, and Extreme Off Road (a little further southeast of you). There are plenty of trails you can get on without getting into the gnarly stuff straight out of the gate, or having to pay for memberships, etcetera - just entry fee.

Sam Houston State Park can be hit or miss depending on season, weather, closures, and whatnot. Cool place when trails are open, though.

I just registered with On X and it can show you where you can go and not get into trouble (trespassing), trail ratings, property ownership...

When you get your new ride let me know - I'll meet you for a day of fun. If you join a club I'd like to know how that is going... may join you. I usually go on adventures myself, but it would be nice to enjoy the adventure with others.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The clubs can be a little "iffy" (especially depending on how well they're run) but I've found them a great resource just for finding people to ride with. Offroading is significantly more fun with others, especially as a beginner. It's also safer and a good way to learn.

I don't usually spend much time *in* the groups, but I'll watch for member meetings and meetups and such and go to those. Whenever I have a weekend to hit the trails, I'll usually post in the group and see who wants to join.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
To answer the question, no AllTrails is not a good off-road app. It’s better for finding hiking trails.
Gaia GPS is my go to, although you still need to research and find legitimate (and legal) trails to download the gpx tracks for.
Trailsoffroad.com is one of the best resources out there. JeeptheUSA.com is another great resource although the founder died a few years back so it hasn’t been updated in a few years.

Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
just to give my two-cents-when you purchase that jeep, they give you six months of onXroad- use it and then go from there. Jeep clubs are okay for the most part-but not necessary-but a good start, especially since you would be new to this crazy thing we call off-roading. FYI keep a separate credit card for it's use-because that bug get's going and oh my. lol Good Luck

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Unless your idea of off roading is sloshing through mud holes, the Houston area has absolutely nothing at all close by. Bummer.

A good place for a beginner that I enjoy is Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls. Keep an eye on the Texas regional forum, members will post when they’re planning an outing and get a group together.

Beau Nugget

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKUR, 1979 Jeep CJ7, 1975 Bronco
Be aware that if you use Gaia, just because a road/trail/route shows up on their map doesn’t necessarily mean it’s public property. Last summer my wife and I wound up driving around in someone’s pasture when we followed the trails on Gaia that were actually access roads to oil wells. I’m really glad we backtracked to the main road and continued on our way before we got an ass chewing.

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
When I first got into 4x4 back in the late 70's we had topographical maps and that's about it...I did guided 4x4 trips with Harry Lewellyn who wrote a book called Shifting Into 4WD which I think is still available, I highly recommend it...don't be intimidated there is a lot to learn...I've taken a few classes which I think helps learn the basics...I prefer going off highway to get where I want to go, say ghost towns around Death Valley but am not all that interested in narly trails just for the heck of it...I've never been so I'll be going over to Moab Easter Jeep Safari in April to do some easy trails and check out the scenery...politics and such being what it is we are still blessed in California with plenty of places to 4x4...

Sponsored

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
As for clubs, I had a negative experience with the Corvette club I joined, they were more interested in the socials and monthly meetings than actually driving the cars someplace...go figure...that said, a couple of buddies belong to a 4x4 club near me so I might mosey over and see what's going on...

Elven_1986

First Name
Shan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Take me too. I live in Houston, and I haven't done any cross-country,

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
https://www.alltrails.com

Add the app to your phone. You can sort by activity type (e.g. off road driving). Not perfect, but might turn something up for you.