Where might this Oil be From???

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thank you Sir. I was able to clean it out tonight and will keep an eye on it. Did you replace yours, if so did you go with Mopar?
Mine has never leaked, but our shop has replaced dozens of them. We stick with Mopar unless the Dorman aluminum housing is available, but it never is. It's a good idea to do spark plugs at the same time, while the intake is off.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The oil cooler housings, have been leaking on some since 2014, which was the new design. Sometimes it is caused by over tightening the oil filter cap and cracking the housing. Other times it can just be a defective housing, or housing seal. Obviously, it is a poor design.

OP
OP
Shellbird01

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
The oil cooler housings, have been leaking on some since 2014, which was the new design. Sometimes it is caused by over tightening the oil filter cap and cracking the housing. Other times it can just be a defective housing, or housing seal. Obviously, it is a poor design.
For real. I checked the cap tonight to see if it was over tightened, it wasn’t but I can’t believe the design, you literally torque an offset plastic tube attached to a plastic base? Unbelievable

OP
OP
Shellbird01

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
Mine has never leaked, but our shop has replaced dozens of them. We stick with Mopar unless the Dorman aluminum housing is available, but it never is. It's a good idea to do spark plugs at the same time, while the intake is off.
I can’t believe it’s not metal. I guess the intake isn’t either, but that tube hanging of it jeez. Appreciate the feed back 👍

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Have you used the Dorman housing on our Gen 3 3.6 v6 engines? Dorman website says it is not a
fit for my 2019 JLU with 3.6.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
For real. I checked the cap tonight to see if it was over tightened, it wasn’t but I can’t believe the design, you literally torque an offset plastic tube attached to a plastic base? Unbelievable
The tightness of the cap does not affect it's leak tightness. I have also never seen a cracked housing. Sometimes they leak from the oil pressure sensor, sometimes the lower mounting gaskets. It's too many parts.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Have you used the Dorman housing on our Gen 3 3.6 v6 engines? Dorman website says it is not a
Nope, haven't had the opportunity yet. I don't believe that it will fit.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Here is a Link, from another JL Forum Thread, POST # 16. This says that it will fit, through 2021 per Dorman..FYI

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-pre-2018-pentastars-new-product.78072/page-2
Just looked at the site again. It says it fits the 3.6 up to 2021, but it doesn't fit the wrangler past 2018. Whats different about the wrangler 3.6 compared to the charger, challenger ram 1500?

Does it have something to do with eTorque or ESS? Maybe it would fit one of them?

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Just looked at the site again. It says it fits the 3.6 up to 2021, but it doesn't fit the wrangler past 2018. Whats different about the wrangler 3.6 compared to the charger, challenger ram 1500?

Does it have something to do with eTorque or ESS? Maybe it would fit one of them?
Hmmm…very interesting. Maybe somebody else has the answer.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Hmmm…very interesting. Maybe somebody else has the answer.
If you watch motorcitys video he says it has something to do with the egr. Is the egr system different with one of the SS systems?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
If you watch motorcitys video he says it has something to do with the egr. Is the egr system different with one of the SS systems?
The upgraded Pentastar (PUG) has cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) to ... Maybe that doesn’t apply to all of the installs..not sure.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Good comment I had the oil changed at Jiffy 2 days before, I’ll clean it up and check again 👍 that would be great if that’s all it was.
How would I check the housing, I thought the oil would indicate that, thanks

Jiffy? WTF? Why do you hate your Jeep? :facepalm:

I have some of these same thoughts watching a litebrite video,🤔

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service

If I was a betting man, I’d say the fitnent guide is wrong, and they are simply deleting vehicles from the list as people send in complaints, instead of doing proper R&D. Dorman is not a high quality company.
Sponsored