Sponsored

Where is the ESS auxiliary battery located?

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Looks like you are correct. I guess I should say thanks but I was hoping for one battery. I hate ESS and turn it off after every start so maybe the aux battery will never need replacing. LOL
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Looks like you are correct. I guess I should say thanks but I was hoping for one battery. I hate ESS and turn it off after every start so maybe the aux battery will never need replacing. LOL
I'm getting a dual battery kit so then I will have 3 batteries! :rock::rock::rock:

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
so what does this battery do ? is it for accessories or does it do the starting?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
so what does this battery do ? is it for accessories or does it do the starting?
It's for maintaining the interior accessories during a stop/start event. Also for maintaining all of the memories when changing the starter battery. Genesis Off-Road just had a facebook post today that they were studying it, and said it will even start the vehicle if the starter battery is dead or missing.

Sponsored

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
50BCB607-76A2-4095-8365-D636465E80AE.png
It’s under the PDC. You aren’t getting to it with out a fight.

It's for maintaining the interior accessories during a stop/start event. Also for maintaining all of the memories when changing the starter battery. Genesis Off-Road just had a facebook post today that they were studying it, and said it will even start the vehicle if the starter battery is dead or missing.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Has anyone looked underneath the 2.0's starter battery yet to see if the small aux battery is still there?

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Has anyone looked underneath the 2.0's starter battery yet to see if the small aux battery is still there?
2.0 is only supposed to have one under hood, and the 48v under the rear.

Sponsored

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Be sure to look at the Jeep geek video. He makes the point that the 12V system will still be energized if you disconnect the cables from the main battery. Look closely at the terminals you will see the wires coming up from below. To kill the 12V system they need to be disconnected from the main battery terminals. This step is necessary to protect the system when you are messing around with the electrical system.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Be sure to look at the Jeep geek video. He makes the point that the 12V system will still be energized if you disconnect the cables from the main battery. Look closely at the terminals you will see the wires coming up from below. To kill the 12V system they need to be disconnected from the main battery terminals. This step is necessary to protect the system when you are messing around with the electrical system.
@BVGeezer

You are a tad in error .. when you say "To kill the 12V system they need to be disconnected from the main battery terminals."

Here is a very easy way to kill all 12 volt power to the JL.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/to-kill-12v-power-to-the-jl-jlu.6244/

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired