Sponsored

Where is everyone getting their DEF from?

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Im coming to the Jeep world from years of owning Diesel powered trucks.

Get your DEF from pumps at truck stops with high volumes of traffic. DEF goes bad (and it's a PITA if you get a bad load), truck stops with lots of traffic are constantly rotating product and bringing in fresh stuff. And it's cheaper too.

also....run your tanks to near empty and replenish all at once. dont constantly top off.

it's not the end of the world if you have to get a jug from a parts store, normal gas station, etc....just dont make a habit of it.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I get mine from truck stops. Nice to pump straight into the tank and auto-shutoff when full. Right now about $2.75/gal.

Doesn't require the nozzle adapter that I had to use for my Grand Cherokee. Though first time I filled it up I didn't realize that and made an absolute mess.

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Amen. Walmart. I was buying it from Home depot or autopart stores for around $12. Until I asked my wife to buy it in Walmart. She called me from the store and asked me if I want one for $12 or $6. I told her to buy one of each. Cheap one was in blue square tank and the one for $12 was in clear tank in paper box. Hose on the one for $12 bucks was dripping while I was pouring it in and cheap one did not. I know which one I will be buying from now.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Truck stop for me. Jeep is 2 months old yesterday, and had to fill up on the way back from FL, just east of Mobile.

Peak BlueDEF is about $5/gal. At the pump, it's around $2.75.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
WM has plenty of inventory turnover not to worry about expired product.
I don't go to truck stops much, their fuel prices are much higher vs other smaller stations closer to where I live. (But their DEF is cheaper)

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
WM has plenty of inventory turnover not to worry about expired product.
I don't go to truck stops much, their fuel prices are much higher vs other smaller stations closer to where I live. (But their DEF is cheaper)
Be careful at smaller stations. They could possibly have 2 problems.

1) If they don't have a lot of diesel traffic, then their diesel will sit in the storage tank for an extended period of time. This is more time for water to be absorbed by the diesel (because it is hygroscopic).

2) Their tanks may be older, which means they aren't as water/fluid-tight as they used to be. They definitely aren't airtight, as they need to allow for evaporated fumes to escape the tank. But, the seals on older tanks deteriorate, which accelerates the process of water absorption.

Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel can hold around 0.002% water. While this doesn't sound like much, it's over 1/2 cup of water per fill up! Would you ever be OK with pouring half a cup of water into your fuel tank filler neck at the service station?!!

Not saying all low-volume stations are bad. Just that pretty much anytime an article is published, or a study is done, about which gas stations have the best fuel, the answer isn't a specific brand name, but rather the busiest=best.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
This is my 3rd rig that takes DEF, not to mention the ones at work. So I've bought my share of it and done my share of research.
Yes DEF goes bad, depending on how its stored determines time frame. Best to keep it in a cool dry area out of UV rays.
That said, DEF is so heavily regulated as an emissions item that brand doesn't matter. Its all exactly the same. Just make sure its fresh.
I buy most of my personal supply from Walmart and get the store branded stuff for half the price of the name brand stuff.
From time to time I get it from Napa when they have a sale or I'm in a hurry.
Getting from the pumps at truck stops are definitely easier but they are out of the way for me.

Sponsored

Tmarshallg78

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Diesel
Where ever it is the cheapest! Lol. Got to save as many pennies as I can so that I get back some of that $4500.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Filled up the DEF again at a Flying-J truck stop down the road. $3.20/gallon this time. First time over $3.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Truck Stop here also. I don't like spilling and having extra left over in a box that I have to do something with. When I fill DEF, its usually about 4 gal or slightly over.

last fill up on DEF was $14.59 4.424 gal @ 3.299 per gal in Oregon, probably the most expensive I've paid, but I was on a trip.

Before that it was local here in Texas $12.52 4.473 @ 2.799 per gal
and about the same before that locally $12.33 4.406 @ 2.799 per gal

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Cant help but chuckle when i think you have to pay for water mixed with pee by-product. I know its not that exactly. 😂