Where does the blue wire hook up at???

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Recently picked up a 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel, and I want to add the tow package. I ordered Mopar p/n 82216359aa (trailer tow harness), 82215652AB (trailer brake controller), and 82215209 (receiver hitch).
The hitch was easy, the trailer wiring was mostly easy but time consuming, I still need to install the brake controller.

So, with the trailer harness I ran the wires up the frame rail and hooked up the ground and the power wire per instructions, but it just has you coil the blue (trailer brake) wire up and tie out of the way. I have the factory brake controller plug inside, driver side kick panel area, but somehow I need to tie the blue wire (under hood) into the plug by the driver side kick panel that the included harness for the brake control module came with.

Now to my question, does anybody know where under the hood the blue wire ties into the harness?

Couple pics, cause who doesn't like pics.
Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? IMG_20210714_122715614

My father in laws utility trailer, looks good behind my Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? 20210730_100828
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Love the Sting Gray! Can't help on the wiring but appreciate the pics. Enjoy the Jeep!✌

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
RudeJeepin

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
@dchemphill1
Thanks, I really like the color too.

@Rhinebeck01
Thanks, but that is for the brake pedal signal wire to the controller. I have that one figured out.

What I'm looking for is the place where the "blue" wire from the 7 pin trailer plug hooks up to the Jeep in the engine compartment. Its the wire that runs from the 7 pin plug up to the front and ends under the hood. (Older kits had it ending behind the glove box) It is used to control the trailer brakes.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the midst of the install and it appears the harness has changed a bit. I'm guessing the blue wire is still for the controller and doesn't connect to anything (unless you install a controller) BUT the red wire is also no longer separated as is shows in this video. I'm trying to figure out of I need to remove all the damned tape because I don't see how I can get that bundle from the passenger compartment up into the engine bay. The instructions with the kit are a joke.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RudeJeepin

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the midst of the install and it appears the harness has changed a bit. I'm guessing the blue wire is still for the controller and doesn't connect to anything (unless you install a controller) BUT the red wire is also no longer separated as is shows in this video. I'm trying to figure out of I need to remove all the damned tape because I don't see how I can get that bundle from the passenger compartment up into the engine bay. The instructions with the kit are a joke.
If you have the same kit as I did, then you run the wires along the frame rail. They go from the passenger taillight through a hole to the outside and run along the frame all the way to the battery. Look the whole directions over a bit before you continue.
The blue wire is for the brake controller.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It would have been very smart to look over the instructions first but I read comments about how bad they were and decided to just follow the video I linked above, BIG MISTAKE! I tore apart all the stuff in the cabin before I realized the wires all run outside the cabin now :facepalm: The video did help with things like the pinning procedure on the driver side taillight. I like doing stuff myself but since I'm pressed for time, I wish I had dealer install :swear:ECM

One more question, I'm reading some comments that you have to get the dealer to update the computer after installing the harness but maybe this was based on the old kit, did you have to do this?

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe, Mustang Mach-E, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
One more question, I'm reading some comments that you have to get the dealer to update the computer after installing the harness but maybe this was based on the old kit, did you have to do this?
I installed the Mopar kit recently, and purchased a wiring tester from Amazon to check my work. No dealer flash is needed.

OP
OP
RudeJeepin

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
@MaineBumpkin
I've hooked up to 2 different trailers with mine and the lights on both trailers work right. So like CivilJeep says no dealer flash needed.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks everyone!

For future people who may stumble on this thread and decide to install the tow package, some lessons learned.

#1 -Pay your dealer to install. Maybe it's because I'm getting old or because it was hot as balls or maybe it's because I followed the wrong instructions at first but installing this took me way too long.

... if you decide to continue...
#2 Look at instructions with the kit, + youTube videos. If you don't prepare well, you could end up ripping apart your interior like me (not required) or screwing up the harness pictured below (see here).
Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? IMG_0033 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? IMG_0036

#3 The hardest part (for me) was finding a path from the wheel well to the engine bay, the wires would not fit using the path in the instructions. I routed up between the engine and battery (see below) but I also wrapped it in heat shield tape. This path also makes it impossible to connect the ground at the location in the instructions but I found a metal post / nut on the firewall right behind where I routed the wire up so I connected it there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? route

#4 I purchased the Curt receiver which covers one of the mounting holes for the 7-pin plug bracket. Rather than drilling it out I mounted with only 1 bolt and thread locker. I'll keep an eye on this but I don't see it being a problem. I also had to shim the bracket on one end with washers due to the thickness of the Curt receiver.

#5 Buy yourself some Christmas tree retainers and a plastic rivet tool

#6 Good luck

Sponsored

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Recently picked up a 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel, and I want to add the tow package. I ordered Mopar p/n 82216359aa (trailer tow harness), 82215652AB (trailer brake controller), and 82215209 (receiver hitch).
The hitch was easy, the trailer wiring was mostly easy but time consuming, I still need to install the brake controller.

So, with the trailer harness I ran the wires up the frame rail and hooked up the ground and the power wire per instructions, but it just has you coil the blue (trailer brake) wire up and tie out of the way. I have the factory brake controller plug inside, driver side kick panel area, but somehow I need to tie the blue wire (under hood) into the plug by the driver side kick panel that the included harness for the brake control module came with.

Now to my question, does anybody know where under the hood the blue wire ties into the harness?

Couple pics, cause who doesn't like pics.
IMG_20210714_122715614.jpg

My father in laws utility trailer, looks good behind my Jeep.
20210730_100828.jpg
I'm looking to do the same, best I can tell in the instructions, we need this additional harness: 82216416AA

That harness, ties in the blue wire from the trailer tow harness (82216359aa). The weird part is the instruction is referring to the trailer tow harness as "82215398XX" which is the old version of the 82216359aa...anyway it looks like we need to run back that blue wire into the cabin, on the passenger side through the fire wall to make the connection with the brake controller wiring harness (82216416AA), since the old kit, the blue wire terminated in the glove box. (Box 41 in the picture)

Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.38.16 AM

OP
OP
RudeJeepin

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I'm looking to do the same, best I can tell in the instructions, we need this additional harness: 82216416AA

That harness, ties in the blue wire from the trailer tow harness (82216359aa). The weird part is the instruction is referring to the trailer tow harness as "82215398XX" which is the old version of the 82216359aa...anyway it looks like we need to run back that blue wire into the cabin, on the passenger side through the fire wall to make the connection with the brake controller wiring harness (82216416AA), since the old kit, the blue wire terminated in the glove box. (Box 41 in the picture)

Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.38.16 AM
I used the Mopar brake controller, tried to plug it into the plug on the driver kick panel, but nothing worked. Ohm/tested the Jeep side of the plug and the only wire that seemed to be hooked up has the ground.
So I cut the plug off of the controller and wired it up old school. One wire to the power distribution box under the hood with an inline fuse. One wire to ground stud in the kick panel. One wire I routed through the fire wall and spliced it to the blue wire from the Larimer light harness. One wire I tapped into the the Jeep harness like in the link that Rhinebeck01 posted above.
Everything seems to work like it should.

But next time I'll get a Jeep with everything pre-installed.

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I used the Mopar brake controller, tried to plug it into the plug on the driver kick panel, but nothing worked. Ohm/tested the Jeep side of the plug and the only wire that seemed to be hooked up has the ground.
So I cut the plug off of the controller and wired it up old school. One wire to the power distribution box under the hood with an inline fuse. One wire to ground stud in the kick panel. One wire I routed through the fire wall and spliced it to the blue wire from the Larimer light harness. One wire I tapped into the the Jeep harness like in the link that Rhinebeck01 posted above.
Everything seems to work like it should.

But next time I'll get a Jeep with everything pre-installed.

Great - glad you go it to work.

I've been staring at these "instructions" for a while, and I can't figure out how it wants me to combine these wires...in one picture (43) it looks like DG & the trailer harness blue wire together and DG/WH & B15 together, yet pictures 44 to 49 only depict 3 wires.... who came up with these instructions?

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 2.43.37 PM.png

OP
OP
RudeJeepin

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Great - glad you go it to work.

I've been staring at these "instructions" for a while, and I can't figure out how it wants me to combine these wires...in one picture (43) it looks like DG & the trailer harness blue wire together and DG/WH & B15 together, yet pictures 44 to 49 only depict 3 wires.... who came up with these instructions?

Jeep Wrangler JL Where does the blue wire hook up at??? Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 2.43.37 PM
Are trying to hook up the brake controller or the trail light harness or both?

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Are trying to hook up the brake controller or the trail light harness or both?

I've already installed the trailer wiring harness, now I'm installing the brake controller + the additional harness for Jeep that doesn't have the tow package. The diagram depicts how to connect the trailer wiring harness "blue" wire, to the brake controller harness and the brake signal wire (B15)
Sponsored