Sponsored

Where and how to store soft top windows?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
FWIW it’s only $75 if you order it with your Jeep.
the problem with the mopar bag is it does not lay down in the bed, it is designed to stand up, in hot weather it has been reported the plastic get soft and then collapses in the bag potentially creasing plastic per reports here and online reviews from users.
A little less if you negotiate a good deal with the dealership ;)
They do tend to droop when stored upright, but a couple of binder clips at the top work wonders :like:
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Dude, do not shoot the messenger there are many reports form people that own the mopar bag that have reported damage to their windows

Here is just one of many

"The first review is spot on. Nice to store in your house but in no way properly fits on the back of the seats. The fabric is too soft to hold the windows straight up when hung from the back seat. At least when the windows are soft from the heat. My windows kept sinking down inside the bag and now have these god awful crease marks they never had before. This was after one use. I would never attempt to hang my windows from the backseat again. Aside from the crease problems, the windows in no way, shape or form fit properly when you hang them from the back seat. I would not recommend this product for the price. I paid a lot for this on the assumption it would perform as claimed. It’s a nice quality cover but does fix the fact that the windows of the JL sunrider soft top cannot be rolled up and don’t fit laying flat in the trunk unless you put the seats down. Hanging from the rear of the back seat would have been great- if it worked. This doesn’t. You can get very good quality covers for half the price. Do that. My 2 cents."
Just take the tailgate bar off - fits fine.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Dude, do not shoot the messenger there are many reports form people that own the mopar bag that have reported damage to their windows

Here is just one of many

"The first review is spot on. Nice to store in your house but in no way properly fits on the back of the seats. The fabric is too soft to hold the windows straight up when hung from the back seat. At least when the windows are soft from the heat. My windows kept sinking down inside the bag and now have these god awful crease marks they never had before. This was after one use. I would never attempt to hang my windows from the backseat again. Aside from the crease problems, the windows in no way, shape or form fit properly when you hang them from the back seat. I would not recommend this product for the price. I paid a lot for this on the assumption it would perform as claimed. It’s a nice quality cover but does fix the fact that the windows of the JL sunrider soft top cannot be rolled up and don’t fit laying flat in the trunk unless you put the seats down. Hanging from the rear of the back seat would have been great- if it worked. This doesn’t. You can get very good quality covers for half the price. Do that. My 2 cents."
:facepalm:

The dumbass who wrote that review didn’t take the bar off his back window. Look at my picture! It fits!

Good night, all. I’m done with this topic.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Second this solution. This bag works great. I use a piece of pipe insulation to prevent the crease on the rear window.
I got rid of the blanket and use a pool noodle now.
Exactly. The guy with the jury-rigged window bag doesn't understand that the Mopar bag reviews he's quoting are obviously using it improperly.
Lets see, you put the windows in, zip up the bag, hang it on the head rest, am I missing something here

You are saying these instructions are incorrect? Pleeease... There are also post here in the forum with folks reporting the same issue, however based on your expertise they do not know how to use a BAG with instruction printed on it...

I would assume though the sagging and creasing problem is more of a problem in the southern half of the country.

mopar-68358392ab-soft-window-bag-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl-jlu-tabletop-instructions.jpg

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Before I got the mopar bag I just used 3 moving blankets and laid it flat on garage floor off to the side.

Then I got the bag, and load them in and slide under futon in office.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have the Mopar bag. It's fine. Leave the tailgate bar in the slots, put the windows in the bag, hang the bag from your seats (or lay it on the load floor or in your living room or on your cat or whatever the heck you wanna do) and go on with your life.

If you wanna spend less and try to make some other bag work, go for it. But if you don't wanna deal with rolling windows, packing blankets, whatever, the Mopar works.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I have the Mopar bag. It's fine. Leave the tailgate bar in the slots, put the windows in the bag, hang the bag from your seats (or lay it on the load floor or in your living room or on your cat or whatever the heck you wanna do) and go on with your life.

If you wanna spend less and try to make some other bag work, go for it. But if you don't wanna deal with rolling windows, packing blankets, whatever, the Mopar works.

DONOT leave your rear window bar in without the window attached it will fall out on rough terrain or bumpy roads. I did that took the windows out at a parking lot 1st speed bump I went over pulling out the bar fell out, luckily i caught it, I assume that bar is not cheap to replace.

It was not about spending less it was about preserving the condition of the windows and the fact the Mopar bag does not fit well unless stood up,otherwise I may have purchased the Mopar bag, remember Mopar was raping people at $170 all of last year for that bag that is maybe worth $99 (unless you ordered with the Wrangler however most people were never told about that deal.

If you look on this forum last Aug or Sept there were post from folks (here in the JL forum) that used the Mopar bag that had permanent damage to their windows (creases). When you read that from multiple sources you have to give some respect to that.

Also for us that use a Slip Stream or Tuffy security box system the Mopar bag is definitely out. So if anyone has plans to ever add those security systems keep that in mind when choosing a window bag. In fact that is the Beauty of the Amazon bag it fits like a glove into the slipstrean enclosure so they can be locked up otherwise a nice bag with handles in the back of you open wrangler could easily walk off when left un-attended

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have the Mopar bag. I strap it to my back seat. My windows have not creased.

My rear bar stays in without the windows all the time. Nearly a year and a half now. It does not fall out .unless your tailgate top lip is machined to be several inches lower than mine, the lip of the tailgate blocks the bar from moving, much less exiting the vehicle.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Here's where I get a bit confused.

We legitimately seem to need to take special care of our soft top windows from, among other things, creasing, (sure scratching too) while vendors like MyTop https://mytop.us/pages/showcase allow their windows to remain in place when their top folds down.

Now--I'm not ignorant to some significant differences in design between the OEM and MyTop windows that were chosen for good reason. For example, the "C" channel hardware in the OEM Windows is not bendable (just flexible), and chosen for its ease over binding zippers of the JK. The MyTop windows don't detach, and maybe can stretch out creasing when the top is up, better than the OEM ones.

Still more, the JL top from MyTop is not yet out (so we'll see how well that fairs when it's released) and its side windows have a distinctively smaller size, especially on the fastback version of their top (as opposed to the square one.)

But is there something better in design in the MYTop clear plastic? Are these owners just less concerned?

Should I be devising a product that stretches OEM soft top windows when stored in the garage, that exposes them to a heat source to address their creasing?

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KodyT215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
I have the Mopar bag. I strap it to my back seat. My windows have not creased.

My rear bar stays in without the windows all the time. Nearly a year and a half now. It does not fall out .unless your tailgate top lip is machined to be several inches lower than mine, the lip of the tailgate blocks the bar from moving, much less exiting the vehicle.
When the rear window is removed, the bar will slide out if tipped to one side or the other. That was the point of lightsout previous comment, although not articulated the best...just saying

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious....

I have the Mopar window bag. Currently I threw in all the windows, and the bar for the rear windows is still on.
The bag is currently on the garage floor, so I'm not sure how well it fits behind the rear seat yet.

Do most of you take the bar off the window and leave it in it's slot or throw it in the bag?

thanks

BlueSV650

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have the Mopar bag and love it. It hangs with no problem and the way it bends at the end prevents my windows from sagging. I don't know how the bar can come out. The ends are trapped so it cannot slide from side to side and the tailgate locks in the bar from falling out backwards.

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The windows do not crease. I own the thing and used it for a whole summer. The bag also does not stand higher than the seat. It would lay down with the sides curled, same way they are meant to curl when standing. (When curled, you’re curling the sailcloth and not the vinyl window part.) So now “it’s been reported” that your information is wrong.

Listen, choices are good and it’s great you saved $60 and are happy with your purchase. By all means let everyone know what you found and give your honest review. You gotta stop spewing misinformation about the bag that you don’t own, though.

Ugh, I don’t know why I even care. I need to find something else to do when I’m bored. :beer:
I can verify that my window creased (slight permanent indentation) from sagging while stored in the mopar bag. I tested using a 2" strap around the center of the bag that seemed to prevent the sag.
Sponsored