Sponsored

When your friend gives their honest opinion on Jeeps.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
A person who owns and mods an S2000 talking down on people who own and mod wranglers, the irony is palpable lol. Both are niche markets but one can do more than just one job well, and it sure isn't a tiny 2-seater sports car who's glory days died with the 3rd Fast and the Furious movie. I like the S2000 and used to want one, but they're just too small to be useful beyond track days.
Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
"Jeeps are the Harleys of cars"

That's classic. :LOL:
Jeeps are the Harley of cars...having owned and loved both. They both come OEM as nice fairly capable but somewhat boring blank canvases that are meant to be modified and made your own (unlike nearly all other vehicles and many motorcycles). They are a blast to drive, they turn heads even when in a crowd of much more expensive vehicles, with a little work they are highly capable machines, and they make you smile every damn time you get on / in one. So yeah...they are the Harley of cars and that is a great thing.

Is the BMW K1600 a great bike...yup, but it is the same as everyone else's. I would rather ride my Road King. Is the LR4 / Disco a great vehicle? Yup, owned one and enjoyed it. But it sure didn't make me smile like my JL.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL When your friend gives their honest opinion on Jeeps. unfriend-insurance

Reactions: VNT

Clay.B

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2008 328i with manual and sport suspension thatā€™s fun to throw around and use as a daily driver.

My 2020 Jeepā€”- brings me smiles in ways the Bimmer canā€™t. I use both weekly as daily drivers. I drive roughly 20 miles one way to work.

Took me a few weeks of driving to adjust to the Jeeps wandering. If you told me I could only drive oneā€¦.. Iā€™d grab the Jeep and smilešŸ˜Š

Last edited:

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I can't blame him entirely. Wranglers have come a long way, but if you aren't actually using it as a weekend toy on trails, it's not a smart daily driver. Yes, there is soul, but this isn't about emotions. On paper a Wrangler is an absolutely terrible idea for a daily driver. Let alone that the comunity has been flooded with people who are far more concerned with their Jeeps apearance then they are in it's performance. Just look at all the angry grills, rgb led underglow, etc. Jeeps have become the ricers of the early 00's. I know a lot of you are going to hate this opinion, but it's pretty truthful, and deep down you know it.

I still love my Wrangler. There are some things that paper can't quantify.
Respectfully disagree about it not being a smart daily driver. It is fun as a daily driver and I never get tired of it. I don't do much off roading at all but I love the looks, the way the steering feels, the ability to take the top off or bring the Sunrider top down etc., etc.
Been driving Wranglers for years, and now I ave a Gladiator, and I still find excuses to go out everyday for a spin on the freeway. I have no idea why any article or review on the Wrangler JL or the JT have to have a line that says it is not comfortable on the pavement - guess it is just one of those things that becomes the "truth" when repeated long enough.
Or maybe it is just me. I always drove/owned my daily drivers that stand apart from the boring herd. I loved the FJ Cruiser too for the same reason.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Respectfully disagree about it not being a smart daily driver. It is fun as a daily driver and I never get tired of it. I don't do much off roading at all but I love the looks, the way the steering feels, the ability to take the top off or bring the Sunrider top down etc., etc.
Been driving Wranglers for years, and now I ave a Gladiator, and I still find excuses to go out everyday for a spin on the freeway. I have no idea why any article or review on the Wrangler JL or the JT have to have a line that says it is not comfortable on the pavement - guess it is just one of those things that becomes the "truth" when repeated long enough.
Or maybe it is just me. I always drove/owned my daily drivers that stand apart from the boring herd. I loved the FJ Cruiser too for the same reason.
I'm not arguing that it isn't fun, or that owners love it. I'm saying that on paper, the Wrangler pales in comparison to other SUV's. Even a Kia Sorrento gets better mileage, has a better ride, seats passengers more comfortably, cheaper, more cargo capacity, seats more passengers....

Now don't get me wrong. I love my Wrangler. This is my 4th Wrangler. I'm a Jeep guy.

But if I didn't go off-road, I would not own a Wrangler. When people come to me for advise before buying a Jeep, I ask if they are going to go off-road. If they say they will not, I tell them to look at something else first. I'm tired of reading about people who are unhappy with their Jeep. "It rides rough, the steering is sloppy, etc." Yeah, I know. That is kinda part of it. It's better than it was, and still better than some other crap on the road that nobody complains about. I'm actually really glad that the Bronco is out now. Because when some idjit comes to me to ask about the Wrangler, merely because they want to look cool, I can tell them to go buy a damn Ford. Maybe that will reduce the amount of angry grills, ducks, and other dumb shit that has recently taken over the Jeep community.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I'm not arguing that it isn't fun, or that owners love it. I'm saying that on paper, the Wrangler pales in comparison to other SUV's. Even a Kia Sorrento gets better mileage, has a better ride, seats passengers more comfortably, cheaper, more cargo capacity, seats more passengers....

Now don't get me wrong. I love my Wrangler. This is my 4th Wrangler. I'm a Jeep guy.

But if I didn't go off-road, I would not own a Wrangler. When people come to me for advise before buying a Jeep, I ask if they are going to go off-road. If they say they will not, I tell them to look at something else first. I'm tired of reading about people who are unhappy with their Jeep. "It rides rough, the steering is sloppy, etc." Yeah, I know. That is kinda part of it. It's better than it was, and still better than some other crap on the road that nobody complains about. I'm actually really glad that the Bronco is out now. Because when some idjit comes to me to ask about the Wrangler, merely because they want to look cool, I can tell them to go buy a damn Ford. Maybe that will reduce the amount of angry grills, ducks, and other dumb shit that has recently taken over the Jeep community.
I guess it depends on why someone buys a vehicle.
If it is just for transport - if the only objective being to get from point A to point B, then yes - why buy anything other than something that serves only that purpose in the most economical or comfortable way.
But it is also the same thing with clothes, shoes, watches, eye glasses, computers, phones etc. Not everything is owned or purchased just for the pure functional practical purpose.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
When I need to drive a car.... 1970 Roadrunner šŸ„°
Jeep Wrangler JL When your friend gives their honest opinion on Jeeps. unfriend-insurance
Do I get thatā€” had a 69 GTX (eng ser # HP360) traded it for a Harley when we lost the 100 octane gas it required. ( the front end achieved lift-off at 165-170 MPH while still accelerating) I remove all sharp objects and pre dial the suicide hotline when I watch Mekum or Barret Jackson.šŸ˜­

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I guess it depends on why someone buys a vehicle.
If it is just for transport - if the only objective being to get from point A to point B, then yes - why buy anything other than something that serves only that purpose in the most economical or comfortable way.
But it is also the same thing with clothes, shoes, watches, eye glasses, computers, phones etc. Not everything is owned or purchased just for the pure functional practical purpose.
This is how most people view automobiles. It's a tool. Buying a Wrangler and never going off road is the equivalent to buying a expensive Snap-On toolbox and tools and taking you stuff to the dealership to get fixed. It's really kinda lame, and silly.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Buying a Wrangler and never going off road is the equivalent to buying a expensive Snap-On toolbox and tools and taking you stuff to the dealership to get fixed. It's really kinda lame, and silly.
Why does it matter what anyone else does with their property, and why is your use of the vehicle any better than theirs? Our Wranglers donā€™t go off-road, my supercharged Corvette Z06 with Z07 track pkg doesnā€™t get tracked, and our Grand Cherokee 4x4 will most likely never see anything other than pavement, and rarely, if ever, snow. Doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t enjoy owning and driving them. šŸ»

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Why does it matter what anyone else does with their property, and why is your use of the vehicle any better than theirs? Our Wranglers donā€™t go off-road, my supercharged Corvette Z06 with Z07 track pkg doesnā€™t get tracked, and our Grand Cherokee 4x4 will most likely never see anything other than pavement, and rarely, if ever, snow. Doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t enjoy owning and driving them. šŸ»
Again, how big is your tool kit that you don't use? Lame and silly. Why do I feel my use better than yours? Because I actually use it for what it was built to do. You viewing the Wrangler this way, and also owning a Corvette that you won't use makes perfect sense. To you it's a status symbol. Unfortunately it doesn't come across the way that you want it to. It reeks of fake machismo when people do this. And people see through that, and judge you for it. They won't tell you that you are being sad and pathetic, and that they actually pity you a little bit that you feel that you need to evoque such an image. It's the same as a dimestore cowboy buying a big hat and buckle to try to look like a cowboy. One minute on a ranch and everyone there knows that he's just a fool.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Again, how big is your tool kit that you don't use? Lame and silly. Why do I feel my use better than yours? Because I actually use it for what it was built to do. You viewing the Wrangler this way, and also owning a Corvette that you won't use makes perfect sense. To you it's a status symbol. Unfortunately it doesn't come across the way that you want it to. It reeks of fake machismo when people do this. And people see through that, and judge you for it. They won't tell you that you are being sad and pathetic, and that they actually pity you a little bit that you feel that you need to evoque such an image. It's the same as a dimestore cowboy buying a big hat and buckle to try to look like a cowboy. One minute on a ranch and everyone there knows that he's just a fool.
:CWL: Seems itā€™s you with the fake machismo. Vehicles are not status symbols, I purchase what I want & use them how I want. I couldnā€™t care less about your assumptions or opinions. But because youā€™re so concerned, all the modifications and work done to all of my vehicles is done by me in my garage with the tools from my multiple tool boxes. :like:

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force
I have a friend who is into shifter carts and modding s2000ā€™s. Heā€™s never been off-roading and knew that I was considering selling the Tesla for a JLU but didnā€™t know I had already purchased one weeks ago. The Jeep came up today and he sent a wonderfully honest and hyperbolic response. Iā€™m positive about 5min on a moderate trail would change his tune.
DB3F06E6-90EE-46CF-A3DE-ADF6CB30A2D1.jpeg
My Rubicon 392 makes me smile every time I drive it. Everyone has a reason why they bought a Jeep. We should let them enjoy it in peace.

Just think...if Jeep only sold Wranglers to off-roaders, they wouldnā€™t sell enough of them to afford to keep making them. So, off-roaders should be thanking the ā€œon-roaderā€ crowd for keeping the Jeep production line going after all these decades.
Jeep Wrangler JL When your friend gives their honest opinion on Jeeps. tempImage7ZivnI
Sponsored

Last edited: